FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 36 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SenseiGregT, sagat, JFawkes, pluckysaga39, sgtdemeo
22911 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
AndyLA 5
Dobbersky 5
Ed_Morris 4
futsaowingchun 3
ergees 3
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
New Topics
2014 World Championships Chelyabinsk: The Gallery
by ergees
Today at 03:51 AM
Biu Tzu- Snake hand strike
by futsaowingchun
08/27/14 09:02 PM
Chum Kiu 2nd section applications
by futsaowingchun
08/20/14 09:54 PM
2013 World Championship Rio: The Gallery (HD)
by ergees
08/19/14 05:22 AM
Chi Sao demonstration
by futsaowingchun
08/14/14 10:57 PM
Decent Fight channel
by FrankyFruits
08/07/14 09:19 PM
2014 European Championships Cadets Athens: Videos
by ergees
08/07/14 10:00 AM
Life goes on....
by Dobbersky
08/07/14 05:59 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:14 AM
Recent Posts
2014 World Championships Chelyabinsk: The Gallery
by ergees
Today at 03:51 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by Zombie Zero
08/29/14 10:50 PM
mindfullness meditation
by log1call
08/28/14 02:39 AM
Biu Tzu- Snake hand strike
by futsaowingchun
08/27/14 09:02 PM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Ed_Morris
08/26/14 09:58 PM
The Karate punch
by Ed_Morris
08/26/14 09:27 PM
Chum Kiu 2nd section applications
by futsaowingchun
08/20/14 09:54 PM
2013 World Championship Rio: The Gallery (HD)
by ergees
08/19/14 05:22 AM
attacked from behind
by AndyLA
08/16/14 04:59 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by VDJ
08/15/14 05:46 PM
Forum Stats
22911 Members
36 Forums
35573 Topics
432484 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Topic Options
#249276 - 04/27/06 09:04 AM Questions about Aikido
Azreal Offline

Hello, I have decided to begin studying a martial art. I live in Rochester, NY, while it isn't a huge city it is big enough to give me many options as to which art to study.

I am a 35 year old adult with no formal training except some boxing years ago. I used to be fairly competent in street fights (due to a serious drug addiction that I battled for nearly 2 decades I unfortunately had a lot of practice in street fights and survival. Thankfully that is in my past). I was in good "outward" shape most my life (of course I was killing myself so it was a deceptive appearance) but when I got "clean" six years ago I got lazy and fat. I joined a gym over a year ago and dropped 40+ pounds and quit smoking (those people who claim quitting cigs is harder than quiting heroin are full of it, take it from someone who quit both. The smokes are easy). I'm by no means in great shape but I'm getting there.

I want to study martial arts for a number of reasons; self-defence, confidence, discipline, I guess all the sterotypical reasons but they are true.

I've been doing research on various styles by buying books and purusing the internet (I know you can't learn a martial art from a book but I felt I could learn ABOUT them). I don't know much about aikido though but for various reasons (price, location and the fact that there is someone at the dojo that teaches iaido which I have long wanted to learn) I am leaning towards aikido right now.

Can someone tell me some of the benifits of aikido as compared to karate, kickboxing and escrima (the three others I am considering). Is there much weapons training in aikido (not that I plan on carrying weapons around, quite the contrary but I am not interested in studying solely for self-defence reasons). I'm of the belief that aikido involves a lot of throws, is that true? I'm only 5'7", would my height be a hinderence in aikido (it was with boxing which is one reason I wasn't very good at it. I had such a short reach my sparring partners could stay away easily).

I would appreciate any information or links to places where I could learn about aikido in some depth. I do not want to go lightly into this as I want to make a definate years long commitment to this decision. I apologize if my questions are ignorant but on this subject I AM ignorant.
Thanks

#249277 - 04/27/06 09:51 AM Re: Questions about Aikido [Re: Azreal]
Chanters Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Manchester, UK
Wow, I have much admiration for you for battling through all what you have encountered, that takes guts and strong will power.

I'm not going to say which art is best and which is worst, it depends on a number of factors. Those being; the practitioner, the teacher and your initial goal. There is no such thing as a good or bad, or effective or ineffective martial art, they all have their benefits!

Size and strength plays little to no part in aikido. It's a non agressive martial art in which you can't use it to attack people or harm them. Aikido will help increase your awareness of surroundings, improve reflexes, concentration and agility. Aikido is also a non-competitive art (unless you wish to learn tomiki aikido) mainly consisting of throws locks, pins and focuses on blending with the attackers momentum and re-directing it. I think compared to the other arts you are looking at aikido has a low impact on the body, we've had many karateka join our club because their joints could no longer take the battering they were enduring.

Depending on what club you join, most of them incorporate weapons work into their curriculum. We use a bokken (wooden sword) a jo (4ft wooden staff) and a tanto (wooden knife) the latter being used to practice against knife attacks. Most if not all movements in aikido derived from the use of the sword thus the reason why we practice with a bokken. At our dojo about 80% is open hand technique and 20% weapons work.

I would suggest attending an aikido dojo for a few weeks so you get a feel of what you can expect to learn. If you think the art is not for you, try the others you mentioned you're interested in.

Good luck and I hope you find aikido as fulfilling as I do!

#249278 - 04/27/06 12:32 PM Re: Questions about Aikido [Re: Chanters]
Azreal Offline

Thank you, both for the complement and the information. I'm going to be going to an aikido dojo this weekend and talk with one of the instructors. (it is called Aikido Kokikai of Rochester). Thanks again.

Moderator:  Ames, Cord, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Stun Guns
Variety of stun gun devices for your protection

Buy Pepper Spray
Worry about your family when you’re not around? Visit us today to protect everything you value.

Koryu.com
Accurate information on the ancient martial traditions of the Japanese samurai

C2 Taser
Protect yourself and loved ones from CRIME with the latest C2 Taser citizen model. Very effective.

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga