FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 26 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Shanktotheright, royal, bobgalle100011, agenonline, TooNice
22862 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
THEFOREVERMAN 3
MattJ 2
royal 2
Dobbersky 2
Marcus Charles 1
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
New Topics
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by Marcus Charles
03/24/14 04:39 PM
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by Dobbersky
03/20/14 05:45 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
AKK kata question
by
09/04/05 01:27 PM
Recent Posts
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by THEFOREVERMAN
04/16/14 08:22 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by THEFOREVERMAN
04/16/14 08:20 AM
AKK kata question
by MattJ
04/04/14 05:45 PM
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Forum Stats
22862 Members
36 Forums
35546 Topics
432378 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#248730 - 04/26/06 03:09 AM Re: Gracie vs. Hughes [Re: TeK9]
JamesLightningBolton Offline

Loc: Victoria Australia
I'ts really funny how people are judging Royce from his early UFC fights. Anybody been watching him lately? Yeh its been some 15 years since then.. he was on top then, and he has only had 15 years more training himself. Hughes technique doesn't even begin to compare to Royce's.

Unless he is unfortunate, I give this fight to Royce.

#248731 - 04/26/06 07:17 AM Re: Gracie vs. Hughes [Re: JamesLightningBolton]
JKogas Offline
Prolific

Loc: North Carolina
Quote:

I'ts really funny how people are judging Royce from his early UFC fights. Anybody been watching him lately? Yeh its been some 15 years since then.. he was on top then, and he has only had 15 years more training himself. Hughes technique doesn't even begin to compare to Royce's.

And HUGHES has had years of experience fighting upper shelf oppponents.

Who has Gracie fight??

You really also think that Hughes doesn't have technique?

He wins by submission frequently.

-John

#248732 - 04/26/06 11:27 AM Re: Gracie vs. Hughes [Re: JamesLightningBolton]
1neikoot Offline

Loc: Candy Land
I think Hughes and Gracie will lose as well.

#248733 - 04/28/06 03:06 AM Re: Gracie vs. Hughes [Re: JKogas]
JamesLightningBolton Offline

Loc: Victoria Australia
Lol, who are these upper shelf opponents? Guys from the UFC? Japan is where you will find these 'upper shelf' opponents. Japan is where Royce has been fighing and constantly winning.

Who has Royce fort? Are YOU serious?

Yeh hughes wins by submission frequently.. true. But his technique is far from gracies. A dodgey kimuru from half guard is far from good. And IMO I'ts really really easy to submit people who know about as much jiu jitsu as they know what the back of their head looks like. Especially if you are strong... Hughes is strong!

Gracie all the way.

#248734 - 04/28/06 07:49 AM Re: Gracie vs. Hughes [Re: JamesLightningBolton]
JKogas Offline
Prolific

Loc: North Carolina
Quote:

Lol, who are these upper shelf opponents? Guys from the UFC? Japan is where you will find these 'upper shelf' opponents. Japan is where Royce has been fighing and constantly winning.

Not against anyone of "worth".

Quote:

Who has Royce fort? Are YOU serious?

I couldn't tell you, but I'm sure they weren't pleased. Is forting on an opponent even ALLOWED in these events? If it is, I'm going to be forting when I have the mounted position on people.

Now as far as Gracie is concerned, a quick look on Sherdog.com will reveal that his opponents as of late have not exactly been the "Upper Shelf" as it goes within MMA.
If you don't believe me, look for the top ten rankings and see where those opponents fall....

Quote:

Yeh hughes wins by submission frequently.. true. But his technique is far from gracies.

His technique could in fact be BETTER compared to Royce Gracies. Isn't Gracie a "Gracie"?

Saying the Hughes technique doesn't match the Gracie's is mere bias. Any discerning fight fan will clearly see that Hughes technique has been phenominal! To admit otherwise is to admit that you're possibly a personal student/friend of Royce's.

Hughes has submitted todays MMA fighters. That alone is telling, because it's hard to do (considering that EVERYONE studies Gracie/Brazilian jiu-jitsu these days).

Royce was the past. He is NOT the future of MMA.

Quote:

A dodgey kimuru from half guard is far from good.

"Dodgey"???

It worked, right? Didn't it tap a guy out who is KNOWN for his "strength"? Isn't that what it is supposed to do??

If they answer to those questions is yes, in any way - it's FAR from "dodgey".

Lets see Royce do a "KIMURA" to Diesel Riggs. He'll not get the chance because after Hughes beats him, he'll probably not return to the Octogon.

Quote:

And IMO I'ts really really easy to submit people who know about as much jiu jitsu as they know what the back of their head looks like. Especially if you are strong... Hughes is strong!

So you think that today's MMA fighters are NOT all training jiu-jitsu and haven't been? Do you honestly believe that it's not being done?

Let me answer that for you....

EVERY FIGHTER in the UFC, Pride or anywhere ELSE is and has been training in jiu-jitsu, if they are fighting at a high level venue

That's simply because you HAVE TO if you want to compete in any way with the other fighters.

Quote:

Gracie all the way.

Yes, Go Royce. I would like to see him win as well.

-John

#248735 - 04/28/06 11:53 AM Re: Gracie vs. Hughes [Re: JKogas]
BuDoc Offline
The doctor will see you now

Loc: USA and Abroad
If I was a betting man...Oh wait I am a betting man. I love watching and wagering on the UFC fights. I lost my A$$ on the last Liddel/couture fight! I made the classic mistake of betting with my heart not my head.

I have met several Gracies. Royce included. I have had a few opportunities to train with several of them. My girlfriend trains with Gracies. Very knowlegable and extremely talented, and warm and friendly to boot.

Matt Hughes is young and strong and very talented in all phases of fighting. Also he strikes me as a bit of a [censored]!

I really want to bet with my heart! I'm really struggling. But I will bet with my head on this one!

My money is on Matt Hughes. I really hope Royce wins. And it won't bother me to lose the cash if he does, but I just can't see it.

Football(American/NFL) fans in South Florida love to talk about the 1972 Miami Dolphins and the only undefeated season ever, culminating in a Super Bowl victory. Truly a great and glorius team that will go down in history and hold a benchmark that all teams will aspir to.

They can not however beat even the worst NFL by todays standard.

Time marches on. This in no way diminishes the mark made by our past heroes. They will be legendary for all time.

I think the world of the accomplishments of Royce and the Gracies. A couple young guys I train think that BJ Penn is the be all end all.

In 30 years their accomplishments as pioneers will still be recognized, but the game will have evolved and all the kids will realize that a new champion has evolved with it. Perhaps that champion will be DaDon1!

Page

Edited by BuDoc (04/28/06 02:38 PM)

#248736 - 04/28/06 12:18 PM Re: Gracie vs. Hughes [Re: BuDoc]
GuitarNinja Offline

While the new fighters have evolved since MMA first hit the mainstream, dont you think Gracie has evolved as well ? They are obviously well educated martial artists who realize things change, they train with people who train with people, they all watch the fights, lots of them still do fight... the principles that guided their techniques 10 years ago are no different today.

The more I think about it, the more I think hughes will win though, budoc makes a great point... hughes has beaten the better fighters compared to gracie. Not just in the gym going 40%, in the ring going 200%, anyone can beat anyone in the gym, IMVHO this cant happen in real fights, I believe alot less luck is involved in this type of fighting than alot of people believe. Matt does have awesome technique along with enourmous strength, the dudes neck is as big as my waist... that scares me.

#248737 - 04/28/06 12:47 PM Re: Gracie vs. Hughes [Re: BuDoc]
oldman Offline
Professional Poster

Quote:

My fiance'

For all Y'ALL that were not paying attenion.

#248738 - 04/28/06 01:12 PM Re: Gracie vs. Hughes [Re: oldman]
Dereck Offline
Prolific

Loc: Great White North
I seen it ... I just thought perhaps he told us before I had forgot. Congrads Page.

#248739 - 04/28/06 02:04 PM Re: Gracie vs. Hughes [Re: oldman]
BuDoc Offline
The doctor will see you now

Loc: USA and Abroad
Oh. $hi+!! Here we go!

Thanks for pointing that out "Buddy"

Page

Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Cord, Fletch1, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Stun Guns
Variety of stun gun devices for your protection

Buy Pepper Spray
Worry about your family when you’re not around? Visit us today to protect everything you value.

Koryu.com
Accurate information on the ancient martial traditions of the Japanese samurai

C2 Taser
Protect yourself and loved ones from CRIME with the latest C2 Taser citizen model. Very effective.

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga