FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 27 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
BUJU, Pilsungkarate, ALF, old1, Leonar
22928 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Ronin1966 3
futsaowingchun 2
ergees 2
GojuRyuboy13 2
AndyLA 1
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
New Topics
I spy kata bunkai..
by GojuRyuboy13
Yesterday at 08:28 AM
Judo 2014 World Championships Juniors: The Gallery
by ergees
10/25/14 04:53 PM
The Classic Pak Sao drill
by futsaowingchun
10/20/14 10:32 AM
wing chun kicks and knees
by futsaowingchun
10/09/14 12:55 AM
2014 European Championships Juniors: the Gallery
by ergees
10/05/14 10:56 AM
Living a full life violence free...
by GojuRyuboy13
09/25/14 08:50 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Leo's Judo Journal
by Leo_E_49
01/24/12 02:58 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by
05/13/07 08:02 AM
Recent Posts
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
Yesterday at 10:01 PM
I spy kata bunkai..
by GojuRyuboy13
Yesterday at 08:28 AM
Judo 2014 World Championships Juniors: The Gallery
by ergees
10/25/14 04:53 PM
Living a full life violence free...
by GojuRyuboy13
10/22/14 07:20 AM
The Classic Pak Sao drill
by futsaowingchun
10/20/14 10:32 AM
Leo's Judo Journal
by swordy
10/11/14 09:21 AM
wing chun kicks and knees
by futsaowingchun
10/09/14 12:55 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Ronin1966
10/08/14 09:22 PM
2014 European Championships Juniors: the Gallery
by ergees
10/05/14 10:56 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by AndyLA
10/04/14 10:20 AM
Forum Stats
22928 Members
36 Forums
35584 Topics
432513 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#248720 - 04/25/06 10:51 AM Re: Gracie vs. Hughes [Re: JohnL]
MiSt Offline

Quote:

I'm kinda sad that the fight is taking place. I'd like to remember RG for what he did in his prime, changing the face of Martial Arts as it was known. Kind of like Ali in his prime.

Yes, I feel this too :-(

#248721 - 04/25/06 11:08 AM Re: Gracie vs. Hughes [Re: oldman]
TeK9 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Northern California, USA
I've seen many of Royce's fights; will the fact that he will not be wearing a judo gi become an issue? In all of his fights he was very dependant on his lapels and sleeves, Matt Hughes on the other hand is just phenomenal. This is a fight I'm dying to see, unfortunately someone will lose.

I agree with you oldman, that Royce has nothing to lose; he will always be considered a legend. But it's never great to see legends lose.
Vinci

#248722 - 04/25/06 02:26 PM Re: Gracie vs. Hughes [Re: TeK9]
EL_MARIACHI Offline

Loc: ILLINOIS
Hopefully, Royce has expanded his arsenal since the last time he was in the UFC. Royce was and is a great fighter, so is Ken Shamrock and look what happen to him when he fought Tito Ortiz. Anyway UFC is going to make lots of money if they keep on booking new school vs. old school matches.

#248723 - 04/25/06 02:53 PM Re: Gracie vs. Hughes [Re: EL_MARIACHI]
TeK9 Offline
Professional Poster

I don't think its a question of whether he has expanded his aresenal, I'm sure all the techniques common to the UFC are already in Gracie jujutsu, however, my question is whether he has had enough time to practice without using his judo gi. Matt has had so many matches and practices w/o using a gi.

You know who I would really like to see in the UFC...Mike Tyson, I think with his style of boxing and with a few grappling skills he could be a great UFC fighter.

I mean he's already used the basic elbow shots and arm lock durring his boxing days. I'm sure he could easily switch over in sports.
Vinci

#248724 - 04/25/06 03:59 PM Re: Gracie vs. Hughes [Re: TeK9]
EL_MARIACHI Offline

Loc: ILLINOIS
Its gonna be a geat fight, kinda like a Gracie vs. Shamrock for 2006. Gracie has nothing to lose. I'm not as familiar with Matt Hughes' career, has faced anyone similar to Royce Gracie?

#248725 - 04/25/06 04:26 PM Re: Gracie vs. Hughes [Re: EL_MARIACHI]
GuitarNinja Offline

This is going to be a good one, definately the last ppv I order, I still have to pay for the last 2

Honestly, I think Gracie has this, he is stronger than people think he is.. not as strong as matt but who is besides the heavies ? Huges had a hard time with pierre until pierre got caught with the armbar off the kimura, pierre has stated he LET him get it because he thought the clock would run out before it was sank in.. he apparently underestimated his strength to pull his arm into full lock.

Anyhow, gracie is a BJJ monster... he and matt have the same attributes both intense workaholics with probaly the best knowledge of the game between the two. I would imagine gracie would spend a great deal of time rolling with bigger an stronger guys than matt who are better on the ground. Id even go as far to say he might bring in some top wrestlers.

He has to worry more about his brute strength and getting slammed into tommorow and the striking game, gracie sucks at striking but he should realize this and work on it ALOT for this fight, they both know this is the big one. Regardless of who wins its going to be awesome, two of the best champions of the UFC demanding each others respect.

Gracie wins in 2 by submission, or matt wins in 1 by knockout.. probaly a slam because you know gracie will pull guard.

EDIT: This is actually a good tester IMO, world class wrestler vs world class bjj.. wrestlers rely on alot of strength and BJJ on sensitivity. According to many TMA ie: wing chun, tai chi, aikido, jj, etc.. etc.. strength can be overcomed by sensitivity. Who knows, just my thoughts.

Edited by GuitarNinja (04/25/06 04:31 PM)

#248726 - 04/25/06 05:27 PM Re: Gracie vs. Hughes [Re: GuitarNinja]
JKogas Offline
Prolific

Loc: North Carolina
I've been watching those old fights this week. Man I gotta say that Royce had some difficulty even beating some of those Tomato Cans from yester-year!

His takedowns looked like garbage and his ground game against guys unfamiliar with the ground looked like garbage as well. I mean, compared to what we know NOW....his skill was really lacking.

And that's saying something when you talk about the Gracie's.

God FORBID if he hasn't improved in some ways now because if NOT, Hughes is going to spank him HARD!

The thing about Gracie is, he's the most NON athletic looking guy I've seen competing in this stuff. I guess if HE can do it, anyone can.

And I LIKE the guy!

-John

#248727 - 04/25/06 05:45 PM Re: Gracie vs. Hughes [Re: TeK9]
Cord Offline
Prolific

Loc: Cambridge UK.
Quote:

You know who I would really like to see in the UFC...Mike Tyson, I think with his style of boxing and with a few grappling skills he could be a great UFC fighter.

The closest Tyson ever got to MA was considering a big money contract with K1 in Japan, but I think having seen how Botha faired in the transition, he decided against it.

He is a 39 year old, chain smoking, hard drinking guy who has not been in competetive shape, nor mentaly composed for well over a decade, and he has sensibly retired from competition, and if he did come back, it would be to what he knew, not to a lesser paid unfamiliar sport where he stood a greater chance of losing.

Gracie is to BJJ what the English are to soccer- just because you are responsible for introducing something to the world at large, does not by default make you the best at it. Things move on.

#248728 - 04/25/06 06:38 PM Re: Gracie vs. Hughes [Re: Cord]
Raul Perez Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Lake Ronkonkoma, NY, USA
Listen it is not like Royce hasn't been beaten before. Wallid Ismail choked him out in a pure jiu jitsu tournament. Sakuraba beat on Royce in Pride to the point that Gracie's corner threw in the towel.

Of course Hughes has been beaten before too. but I'm going with Matt. He reminds me of my old wrestling coach.

#248729 - 04/26/06 12:59 AM Re: Gracie vs. Hughes [Re: GuitarNinja]
TeK9 Offline
Professional Poster

It's not a matter of who is demanding respect, its obvious from the face to face interviews that each of them have it for one another. Matt is looking at the face of an icon/revolutionary. Gracie, definatly konws he is starring into the face of probably the UFC's greatest athlete/competitor.

Hughes definatly has more power, will probably shoot and try to slam Gracie. However, Gracie being the spider man that he is has the skill to keep that from happening, but who knows how well his grip will be since he wont have his trustee judo gi to help him.

Looking back on Gracie fights, he has terrible ground and pound, he relied on heel kicks to the opponents ribs.

The ground and pound I think is something that has really just been discovered, almost like a glitch button in a video game. And everyone uses it, even if they arn't good with it.

I think the reason why Gracies ground work in the old days didn't look so good was because it was more of a revolutioized martial arts type of approach. Now the sport has grown so much, that the techniques he used have been refined and are now common.

Wouldn't it be INSANE if Royce worked on his stand up game, and just rocked Matt Hughes a couple of times. That would be a serious surprise.

I only hop that when Royce pulls gaurd, that the ref will break it up and stand them up again. The rematch between Ken Shamrock and Royce Gracie was 35 long minutes of pure Bu/L $hi+. It was like torteses mating... It could have been shown on animal planet.
Vinci

Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Cord, Fletch1, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Stun Guns
Variety of stun gun devices for your protection

Buy Pepper Spray
Worry about your family when you’re not around? Visit us today to protect everything you value.

Koryu.com
Accurate information on the ancient martial traditions of the Japanese samurai

C2 Taser
Protect yourself and loved ones from CRIME with the latest C2 Taser citizen model. Very effective.

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga