FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 53 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
old1, Leonar, ManLar, Vimido, raya
22925 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
futsaowingchun 4
Ronin1966 3
AndyLA 1
GojuRyuboy13 1
Matakiant 1
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
New Topics
The Classic Pak Sao drill
by futsaowingchun
Today at 10:32 AM
wing chun kicks and knees
by futsaowingchun
10/09/14 12:55 AM
2014 European Championships Juniors: the Gallery
by ergees
10/05/14 10:56 AM
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
09/30/14 12:10 AM
Living a full life violence free...
by GojuRyuboy13
09/25/14 08:50 AM
Wing Chun-internal training
by futsaowingchun
09/23/14 09:01 PM
Martial News
by Matakiant
09/23/14 06:42 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Leo's Judo Journal
by Leo_E_49
01/24/12 02:58 AM
Recent Posts
The Classic Pak Sao drill
by futsaowingchun
Today at 10:32 AM
Leo's Judo Journal
by swordy
10/11/14 09:21 AM
Living a full life violence free...
by cxt
10/10/14 10:08 AM
The Karate punch
by Ronin1966
10/09/14 03:16 PM
wing chun kicks and knees
by futsaowingchun
10/09/14 12:55 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Ronin1966
10/08/14 09:22 PM
2014 European Championships Juniors: the Gallery
by ergees
10/05/14 10:56 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by AndyLA
10/04/14 10:20 AM
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
09/30/14 12:10 AM
Wing Chun-internal training
by futsaowingchun
09/23/14 09:01 PM
Forum Stats
22925 Members
36 Forums
35582 Topics
432509 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Topic Options
#248407 - 04/24/06 02:11 AM Purple Belt ?
JamesLightningBolton Offline

Loc: Victoria Australia
Hi guys, If any of you on here happen to be a purple belt in brazilian could you just give me a quick sort of summary of what you know. Just what standard a purple belt should be upto, like where they should be comfortable, techniques they should know or anything like that. Also if anybody holds a BJJ black belt, could you please specify when you would give a student a purple belt? And also the major differences between a blue and a purple belt, if there are any?

Thanks a million guys. Jim

Edited by JamesLightningBolton (04/24/06 02:13 AM)

#248408 - 04/24/06 06:50 AM Re: Purple Belt ? [Re: JamesLightningBolton]
JKogas Offline
Prolific

Loc: North Carolina
The BIGGEST difference is in the GUARD PLAY of the purples compared to the blues. Of course that isn't all....

The purple belt has more TIME in. That's what makes him generally better than the blue in most aspects. This added experience gives the purple more attributes such as better timing and sensitivity.

The purple's technical command will be greater as well. And even though the purple may not know a great many more techniques than the blue, the added experience helps him to better apply the techniques when wrestling.

Perhaps one of the main differences is that the purple is usually much better at COMBINING techniques. He's more able to flow between them. So if one should fail or is countered, he is already onto the next move in the chain. He can also think about more than one move at a time. In other words, his ability to create strategy is better. He can think several moves ahead and set up certain things which the blue is often not able to do as well.

The amount of overall strength used in rolling is also likely to be diminished as a purple because of the higher technical command. Thus he will be able to roll longer and not tire as easily. This is often coupled with a better ability to RELAX on the mat - something that a LOT of people have difficulty doing.

The purple's defensive skills are often more highly developed. Hell, everything is. But the purples timing out of guard passes is usually so much better than blues, that they are often able to more easily recover guard without the passing happening as frequently (as it happens to blues). If the pass DOES occur, the purples are usually working more transitional defense and don't seem to get caught as much flat on their backs with their arms killed.

Lets just say that purples know about the same things (a little more usually though) as blues, but they just better at it. Their timing and mat experience is just that much better.

Gotta have your escapes down so you don't have to think about them.

Gotta have the ability to play closed and open guard, and to be able to RECOVER the guard and prevent passes.

Again, I have to say that the best thing about purples is that their GUARD play is usually MUCH better than the blues. They're beginning to develop the impassable guard (theory).

With all this said, it's completely subjective and depends on many factors such as, prior experience, athleticism, wrestling or football background (if applicable), conditioning, sandbagging, etc.

Here's a link you may find helpful:

Harris Progression

I'm sure that Fletch will add some insight to this as well. Nice thread!

-John

#248409 - 04/24/06 12:04 PM Re: Purple Belt ? [Re: JamesLightningBolton]
Fletch1 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Florida
Quote:

Hi guys, If any of you on here happen to be a purple belt in brazilian could you just give me a quick sort of summary of what you know. Just what standard a purple belt should be upto, like where they should be comfortable, techniques they should know or anything like that. Also if anybody holds a BJJ black belt, could you please specify when you would give a student a purple belt? And also the major differences between a blue and a purple belt, if there are any?

Thanks a million guys. Jim

Got mine at the end of 03 after five years as a Blue. Unlike Blue, where you are finalizing a fundamental game with Offense and Defense, I think Purple is where you get to explore alot.

Every BB instructor has his own criteria for Purple. The list is far too broad to cover here. Suffice it to say, when someone reaches Purple they should probably have a much deeper game than the average Blue as well as the ability to teach and run a class in the absence of a BB. Some instructors place a high value as well on tournament performance.

There are certain techniques that a Purple Belt should know but it is more about game as opposed to collecting techniques. That is what me laugh about Royler's BJJ book where they had things grouped by Belt levels. One look at the book shows how preposterous that idea is. BJJ is about game. You have Purple and Brown Belts who are not nearly as smooth with things like Spider Guard and the Omoplata as some good Blues. They can however, impose their game and make basic techniques work on the vast majority of people.

A great example of quantity vs quality is the Nice Video thread on the main page. The guy clearly knows a lot of moves although he may not even be able to hold his own on the mat with a decent Blue Belt in BJJ. I have seen many guys from other programs that could do all the demo flying moves and couldn't pull anything off on a six month student.

For my own students, I recognize Blue when I see it and my instructor generally will promote them based on my recommendation.

#248410 - 04/24/06 09:59 PM Re: Purple Belt ? [Re: Fletch1]
Diabolic Offline

Loc: San Jose, California
I cant answer too well but with my experience which is only a couple months is that the purples in my class are long time students, 5+ years where the blues are usually 2-3 years. The purples are very strong and seem to have dedicated alot of their lives to BJJ. They usually assist our instructors and can explain things well and teach classes if a black belt isnt around. They can sweep very very effectivly with minimal effort due to their great technique. Almost impossible not to get mounted and if your a blue in our class you struggle very very hard to gain position. My school doesnt give stripes until purple also, dont know if that even means anything really.

#248411 - 04/24/06 10:16 PM Re: Purple Belt ? [Re: Diabolic]
JKogas Offline
Prolific

Most purples HAVE dedicated themselves tremendously to jiu-jitsu. Considering that a very small percentage of people new to the art even make it to BLUE belt and an another smaller percentage make it to purple, dedication is almost a requirement for that belt.

-John

#248412 - 04/24/06 10:23 PM Re: Purple Belt ? [Re: Diabolic]
JamesLightningBolton Offline

Loc: Victoria Australia
Thanks heaps guys. I was thinking it had alot to do with the game being developed and their ability to apply techniques in wrestling. Lol, I'ts kind of strange, there are no set (syllabes)(spelling)? are there? Because its up to the teachers discression, does it result in a wide range of ability in purple belts from school to school and around the world?

Thanks again.

#248413 - 04/24/06 11:14 PM Re: Purple Belt ? [Re: JamesLightningBolton]
GuitarNinja Offline

By looking at the website posted above, it clearly shows a well thought out learning process from belt to belt, with clear technique requirements at each level. So my assumption is, there is a set syllabus of techniques through all BJJ that can be traced back to a specfic instructor... some learned under gracie, some machado, I dont know any details really but I think its safe to assume they all teach different. Honor seems to be highly regarded in BJJ and if you say you know it, you better prove it... so I doubt many teachers want a blue belt who doesnt know just as much as other blue belts in other BJJ schools, or whatever belt... know what I mean ?? Competition makes everyone better, honor makes you do your best, alot of honor and alot of competition in BJJ.

#248414 - 04/24/06 11:47 PM Re: Purple Belt ? [Re: GuitarNinja]
Dereck Offline
Prolific

Loc: Great White North
Quote:

Honor seems to be highly regarded in BJJ and if you say you know it, you better prove it... so I doubt many teachers want a blue belt who doesnt know just as much as other blue belts in other BJJ schools, or whatever belt... know what I mean ??

If that were only true. More then once David Meyer (Machado) has taken my Instructor and partner along with him to aid him in teaching. As they are both blue belts he tries to guage those he is teaching and unfortunately more then once those claiming to be blue belt or higher were not necessarily the case.

#248415 - 04/25/06 07:25 AM Re: Purple Belt ? [Re: Dereck]
JKogas Offline
Prolific

JamesLightningBolton wrote:
Quote:

I'ts kind of strange, there are no set (syllabes)(spelling)? are there? Because its up to the teachers discression, does it result in a wide range of ability in purple belts from school to school and around the world?

It depends on what the instructor is looking for. Some of them place more emphasis on certain things. The bottom line is “game”.

It pretty much follows like this; when you can roll competitively with the blues, you’re a blue. When you can roll competitively and give game to the purples, you’re purple.

So really (in theory), there should NOT be a wide gulf of skill between purples from one school to the next because so much of the rank is established through inter -school competition. You are essentially graded by performance against your peers. That would include such things as your general size, age, along with ability.

GuitarNinja wrote:
Quote:

Honor seems to be highly regarded in BJJ and if you say you know it, you better prove it... so I doubt many teachers want a blue belt who doesnt know just as much as other blue belts in other BJJ schools, or whatever belt... know what I mean ?? Competition makes everyone better, honor makes you do your best, alot of honor and alot of competition in BJJ.

Yeah…that and dishonor. There’s some of that as well. As long as there are human beings involved, you’re going to get a mixed bag.

Competition does tend to make the school better as a whole. Some tournaments aren’t worth crap though. Two notable one’s I can think of were poorly managed and ran. You show up expecting to roll by the late morning or early afternoon and you’re still standing around waiting to be called by early evening. Etc. Then when you through your time was coming, it’s delayed yet again. That’s not saying a THING about the judging…..

Dereck wrote:
Quote:

If that were only true. More then once David Meyer (Machado) has taken my Instructor and partner along with him to aid him in teaching. As they are both blue belts he tries to guage those he is teaching and unfortunately more then once those claiming to be blue belt or higher were not necessarily the case.

And the opposite is true as well, where you have people who are whites or blues that should have LONG been blue or purple (sandbagging). That’s the SCOURGE of BJJ, in my opinion. I mean, if you’re the next belt, you’re the next belt. They keep you down just so their school can win a few more tourneys with at a level below your true ability just to clean house. I think that’s dishonorable as well.

Like I said earlier…as long as humans are involved in the process……

-John

Moderator:  Cord, Fletch1, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Self Defense
Offering stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and other self defense products not available in stores.

Pepper Spray
Online distributor of self defense supplies like videos, stun guns, Tasers and more.

Spy Cameras
Surveillance, Hidden Cameras, Nanny Cams, Digital Recorders, Spy Equipment, Pocket DVR's and more

Stun Gun
Wholesale Directlhy to the Public! Stun gun and Taser Guns and personal protection products. Keep your loved ones at home safe!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga