FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 45 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Shanktotheright, royal, bobgalle100011, agenonline, TooNice
22862 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
THEFOREVERMAN 3
Dobbersky 2
MattJ 2
royal 2
Jeff_G 1
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
New Topics
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by Marcus Charles
03/24/14 04:39 PM
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by Dobbersky
03/20/14 05:45 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
AKK kata question
by
09/04/05 01:27 PM
Recent Posts
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by THEFOREVERMAN
04/16/14 08:22 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by THEFOREVERMAN
04/16/14 08:20 AM
AKK kata question
by MattJ
04/04/14 05:45 PM
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Forum Stats
22862 Members
36 Forums
35546 Topics
432378 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#247997 - 05/01/06 06:52 PM Re: Home Invasion scenarios [Re: MartialMack]
PSYOPS Offline

Quote:

For one, having your home invaded seems like a pretty rare event unless you live in the inner city of a major city... it could probably be equated to getting struck by lightning for most.

But I think it's common sense stuff though: keep your house locked, always check to see who's at the door and be up on your disarming techniques (which also means knowing how to fire a gun well). The argument here for me is that the closest defensive weapon to use is the attacker's.

Personally though, I don't think you can take any chances. If someone comes in your house with a gun, is it worth it to wait around and see if they'll shoot you or not? The best thing I think is to know your house and have a plan... beyond your training, your best advantage is that you know your house better than anyone else. I rather like the idea of drilling your own scenarios in your own house. Different agencies and militaries have mock environments that they build for training... I'd think if you're Secret Service or something it's not about entry training, but how to defend against an entry.

In addition, the element of surprise from your side is a huge advantage as well. Most of these people don't break into a house expecting someone who knows Krav Maga... and since these guys are very often "buddies," the other potentially armed guys might think twice about shooting in the direction of his buddy who is being disarmed. Drill using your newly disarmed attacker as a "shield" -- hold them up. Maybe it's wishful thinking; I don't know. But it could be a good diversion to point their gun/s away from your family so that you can discharge defensive shots if need be.

Just some thoughts...

Your assertion is incorrect my friend. Suburbs are way more likely to get hit by invaders because of the nature of these attacks. They want money, jewels, electronics, cars and such. These type of things are not found in inner city homes.

I live in a wonderful gated community in the suburbs. Far away from the inner city. I have guns all over my house and I never get in my car without my gun. I prefer my XD Springfield ACP .45 or the Glock 19c. I live in Nevada and carrying concealed is quite common here. Las Vegas is the most dangerous city in America. So I am a big believer in guns. I would agree though that having a gun is not a shield against "motivated" intruders but it does not hurt.

I suggest strategically placing weapons throughout your home. The kitchen is a great place for a gun! Bathrooms work too but you must always remember that if you have kids this is not a good practice.

#247998 - 05/01/06 09:32 PM Re: Home Invasion scenarios [Re: PSYOPS]
Dedicated1 Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania, U.S.A.
Is it just me? It seems that this whole topic has turned into a bragging forum for what kind of guns people own. I think this topic is........

#247999 - 05/02/06 01:21 AM Re: Home Invasion scenarios [Re: PSYOPS]
MartialMack Offline

Loc: Nashville
Quote:

Your assertion is incorrect my friend. Suburbs are way more likely to get hit by invaders because of the nature of these attacks. They want money, jewels, electronics, cars and such. These type of things are not found in inner city homes.

I guess that makes sense. I have kind of had an experience with that...

Actually, my best friend did. He lives in an affluent neighborhood and had some weirdo driving around his house all the time. This weirdo actually drove right up into his driveway in the middle of the night once. I think he/she was scoping my friend's house out (or rather his parents' house while they were out of town)... I was there one night when it happened. A bit scary. We actually bought toy guns in case we needed to at least give the appearance that we were armed! As a second hand story, my dad's wife had an intruder once while he was at work. The dude was right outside of the sliding glass door, so my stepmom grabbed their gun. When this guy saw it, he actually ran.

Anyway, as for the inner city threat, I've seen enough episodes of Cops to get the sense that break-ins occur quite a bit in that environment as well... often with the intruders coming in with guns. I'd think that a lot of this is gang-related more than anything.

#248000 - 05/02/06 04:01 PM Re: Home Invasion scenarios [Re: Dedicated1]
PSYOPS Offline

Quote:

Is it just me? It seems that this whole topic has turned into a bragging forum for what kind of guns people own. I think this topic is........

That was the point to my suggestion of "strategically placing weapons around your home". I would never have random guns in my house! Gun talk is good for the soul though!

#248001 - 05/02/06 04:23 PM Re: Home Invasion scenarios [Re: PSYOPS]
ShikataGaNai Offline
Veteran

Loc: Bellingham, WA

Gun talk is REALLY good for firearm forums!

#248002 - 05/02/06 08:16 PM Re: Home Invasion scenarios [Re: ShikataGaNai]
wristtwister Offline
like a chiropractor, only evil

Loc: South Carolina
Well, one good thing for martial artists to remember is that someone can run away from you, and still turn around and shoot you. Let's see you do that with martial arts...

If somebody's armed and more than three steps away, you better be making friends. You can brag all you want to, but guns vs. martial arts... the gun will win 99 times out of 100. In "guns vs. guns"... the most prepared person will win (if they're a good shot).

The best description was given by the gangster Al Capone. He said "you get more with a kind word and a gun than with just a kind word".

In all my years of martial arts training, I've never seen anybody that could block or catch a bullet, except in the movies. ... and home invaders aren't there to make friends.

#248003 - 05/02/06 09:11 PM Re: Home Invasion scenarios [Re: wristtwister]
ShikataGaNai Offline
Veteran

Ok, one more word and then i have to get away from this thread
My point has nothing to do with guns vs. martial arts. I could go on and on about cqc and skills and civilian training vs. military and a bunch of other crap that I just don't care about, because it's all the same rhetorical argument. My point was that this is a MARTIAL ARTS forum. There are plenty of other places you guys can tell stories about your big guns till you're blue in the face. This is a place for talking about MA and MA related stuff.
I'm no stranger to guns. I used to have several and you know what? All I realized was that any idiot can pick one up and learn how to work it quick. They are uninteresting (in practice, not aesthetic) to me and I don't think they have any of the intellectual or physical properties of MA. So PLEASE, unless we're talking about a specific technique involving guns, make like you're at the saloon and check yer shootin irons at the door.
Sheesh

#248004 - 05/02/06 10:14 PM Re: Home Invasion scenarios [Re: ShikataGaNai]
wristtwister Offline
like a chiropractor, only evil

Loc: South Carolina

I was just pullin' your chain... the subject got started and I jumped in... no offense...

#248005 - 05/02/06 11:26 PM Re: Home Invasion scenarios [Re: wristtwister]
ShikataGaNai Offline
Veteran

None taken. Suppose I could of stood to loosen up on the subject myself

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  Cord, Dedicated1, JasonM, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Ryukyu Art
Artifacts from the Ryukyu Kingdom missing since WWII. Visit www.ShisaLion.Org to view pictures

Best Stun Guns
Self Defense Products-stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and more

Surveillance 4U
Complete surveillance systems for covert operations or secure installation security

Asylum Images
Book presents photo tour of the Trans-Allegany Lunatic Asylum. A must if you're going to take a ghost tour!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga