FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 33 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
sunny, swordy, jerrybarry24, SenseiGregT, sagat
22914 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Ed_Morris 4
futsaowingchun 3
ergees 2
Zombie Zero 2
AndyLA 2
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
New Topics
STX Kickboxing Seminar
by Marcus Charles
09/09/14 06:57 PM
Biu Tzu- 1st section applications
by futsaowingchun
09/05/14 10:56 PM
2014 World Championships Chelyabinsk: The Gallery
by ergees
09/01/14 03:51 AM
Biu Tzu- Snake hand strike
by futsaowingchun
08/27/14 09:02 PM
Chum Kiu 2nd section applications
by futsaowingchun
08/20/14 09:54 PM
2013 World Championship Rio: The Gallery (HD)
by ergees
08/19/14 05:22 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
mindfullness meditation
by
01/06/09 11:27 AM
Recent Posts
** Introduce Yourself! **
by Zombie Zero
Yesterday at 04:43 PM
Eugue Ryu
by kolslaw
09/12/14 03:35 PM
attacked from behind
by AndyLA
09/07/14 07:01 PM
Biu Tzu- 1st section applications
by futsaowingchun
09/05/14 10:56 PM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
09/02/14 06:26 PM
2014 World Championships Chelyabinsk: The Gallery
by ergees
09/01/14 03:51 AM
mindfullness meditation
by log1call
08/31/14 09:43 PM
Biu Tzu- Snake hand strike
by futsaowingchun
08/27/14 09:02 PM
The Karate punch
by Ed_Morris
08/26/14 09:27 PM
Chum Kiu 2nd section applications
by futsaowingchun
08/20/14 09:54 PM
Forum Stats
22914 Members
36 Forums
35575 Topics
432492 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#247967 - 04/21/06 04:56 PM Home Invasion scenarios
cronin Offline

Loc: Long Island, NY
Wanted to offer this up to you experienced Kravists out there and see if anyone had ideas/options/actions to take from this scenario. BTW this actually took place in the next town East of me and is something that's been happening on Long Island quite frequently withing the past year or so:

Yesterday, around dinner time, the ‘Smiths’ were getting ready to eat. They were also expecting a guest. The doorbell rings, Mr. Smith opens the door without asking who it is or looking to see- immediately the door is forced open and two men, 19-22 in age, with pistols, come in screaming and pistol whipping Mr. Smith in the head and knocking him down. Then they told each of the guests to get on the floor with their hands behind their head while they tear through their house for valuables. They leave (on foot) to a van parked on the corner.

I understand the first mistake of opening the door without checking - but would there be anything to do in that situation? Would it be absurd to think of even attempting something?

Welcome any thoughts.

#247968 - 04/21/06 05:23 PM Re: Home Invasion scenarios [Re: cronin]
SEAL Offline

Well it hasn't happened in my area, but I am aware of the gang problem.

I've been doing constant research into RBSD systems and in this scenario that you depicted, I don't think there's anything you can do. These thugs are armed. You are not. The best thing to do is give them what they want. On the other hand, given that these are the type of people who plan crimes in advance and probably know the law pretty well, one thing you can do is fake a heart attack. Why? Now instead of a robbery charge, it's attempted murder. They know that dealing with a man who collapses to the floor and holding his chest, screaming that he's having a heart attack, will make them rethink their plan. They might high-tail it out of there. Of course, I personally would only attempt this if I somehow knew these thugs we're gonna kill us. Why? Well, if they knock me down to the ground, it's on their terms. They have the control. But if I collapse to the floor, clinging my hands to my chest, now I have the control, psychologically speaking.

#247969 - 04/21/06 11:32 PM Re: Home Invasion scenarios [Re: cronin]
Dedicated1 Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania, U.S.A.
It's like the old saying, "A good offense is the best defense". Keep the doors locked, always ask/look who it is. With the scenario you've described, the best thing to do at that point was to get a good description of the men, and let them take what the want. Having more than one man to deal with, and family members at risk, makes for a deadly situation. If they were intent on killing you or family members, then it would be different all together. Your VCR/DVD, TV etc. isn't worth a loved ones life.

#247970 - 04/22/06 11:05 AM Re: Home Invasion scenarios [Re: Dedicated1]
JasonM Offline
Professional Poster

Yes, valuables can be replaced, lives can't...That is what insurance is for.

#247971 - 04/22/06 12:53 PM Re: Home Invasion scenarios [Re: cronin]
Glockmeister Offline

Loc: Lancaster, Pa
Yes, always keep doors locked and only a fool would open the door without seeing who it is. I also like to keep a firearm or some other weapon not too far from main point of my home's entry stashed. Call me paranoid, but things happen. Letting them in is out of the question. Once inside, they can now tie you up, torture you, rape you, then murder you and quietly slip out with your valuable AFTERWARDS. Sorry, not going to give home invaders a nice, comfortable, safe place to torture me for hours without one heck of a fight.

#247972 - 04/23/06 11:20 AM Re: Home Invasion scenarios [Re: Glockmeister]
wristtwister Offline
like a chiropractor, only evil

Loc: South Carolina
I guess we're both paranoid, Glockmeister, because I keep that same scenario at my house. We keep the place locked tight, and only open the doors after we're sure who's there. As for weapons, mine are stashed all over the house, and in very non-descript places and kinds... from knives, to pistols, to machete's to screwdrivers.

They're in "non-threatening" locations, but very accessible and designed to deal with threats confined to the space available (no machete in the bathroom, but there could be a pistol, knife or screwdriver in the closet or drawer).

That being said, I'm still comfortable being able to disable or kill someone with my "unweaponed" skills, but home invasions, etc. aren't "dojo" situations, and the guys doing them usually come in dealing violence with weapons, so there's no reason to give them the advantage from the "get go".

I like the bumper sticker I saw at a gun show recently, it read: "This location guarded with a shotgun three nights a week... you get to guess which three nights"...

#247973 - 04/23/06 06:53 PM Re: Home Invasion scenarios [Re: wristtwister]
Stormdragon Offline
Who Dares Wins
Professional Poster

Loc: Salem, OR
I'd pull out my nine and bust a cap yo. Or rather, a 38 special revolver, heck maybe even a 357 mag, my two favorties, maybe both, my attackers never can tell for sure what I might use! My favorite. Or
Member of DaJoGen MMA school under Dave Hagen and Team Chaos fight team under Denver Mangiyatan and Chris Toquero, ran out of Zanshin Martial Arts in Salem Oregon: http://www.zanshinarts.org/Home.aspx,

#247974 - 04/23/06 07:14 PM Re: Home Invasion scenarios [Re: Stormdragon]
wristtwister Offline
like a chiropractor, only evil

Loc: South Carolina
My 9 was field tested by the KGB... I carried my .357 as a cop... my .40 cal was an old Atlanta Swat team shooter, and my .44 is my backup... other than that, I'm unarmed...
maybe...

#247975 - 04/23/06 08:42 PM Re: Home Invasion scenarios [Re: wristtwister]
globetrotter Offline
does unto others before they do unto him

Loc: ny usa
sorry - I don't want to get into a whole gun/no gun discussion.

1. 2 guys bust into your house with firearms, and you have no reason to think that they are there specifically to kill you (if they are there to rob you, as opposed to the husband of a woman you are sleeping with who you figure is there to kill you), do what ever they want, give them what ever they want, and hope that it doesn't involve oral sex.

2. I have 2 large tear gas blasters and 2 hard resin 24 inch batons around the house - a set by the door and a set by my bed. I can't imagine that any threat that doesn't involve a firearm will get pat me with those. any theat that involves a firearm, see 1.

3. I don't want a gun in the house. if I were to keep a gun in the house, it would be locked in a touchpad safe next to my bed. I have nothing against guns, but the threat that is posed by having a gun around the house is a great deal higher than any threat of home invasion where I live.

4. I hate to get insulting, but having a number of differnt firearms and bladed weapons around the house is not the way to protect yourself, it is the way to get yourself killed or kill a family member or nieghbor. if you really believe that the threat justifies having a gun around the house, decide what the best firearm for you is - I would say it comes down to either a late model 9 mm with a large magazine, or a 20 gauge mossburg shotgun, depending on your house and how you live, your skills, your body etc. get a couple of the one you choose, put them in touchpad safes, one by the front door and one by the bed. having a bunch of different weapons around the house, if you are lucky enough that nobody is killed by accident, you will find yourself hesitating over the different weapons at get yourself killed. best bet, get some gas and a stick - best way to defend your house.

#247976 - 04/23/06 10:52 PM Re: Home Invasion scenarios [Re: globetrotter]
Dedicated1 Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania, U.S.A.
I agree, your guns should either be on your person or locked in a safe. Mainly for the reasons that have been mentioned. Another good reason is that if your home is robbed when your at work or away, criminals have now obtained new weapons. I have talked to a few police officers and they are more than concerned about this kind of situation. A criminal may rob your house with a crowbar, but walk out with a rifle or pistol. That would mean your weapon could now be used in some sort of crime, maybe another robbery, or even a murder? The police don't need any more guns on the street, and you don't need to live with the guilt of someone innocent getting hurt.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Cord, Dedicated1, JasonM, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Stun Guns
Variety of stun gun devices for your protection

Buy Pepper Spray
Worry about your family when you’re not around? Visit us today to protect everything you value.

Koryu.com
Accurate information on the ancient martial traditions of the Japanese samurai

C2 Taser
Protect yourself and loved ones from CRIME with the latest C2 Taser citizen model. Very effective.

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga