FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 29 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
mohdnabeel, sunny, swordy, jerrybarry24, SenseiGregT
22915 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Ed_Morris 4
AndyLA 3
Zombie Zero 2
Matakiant 2
futsaowingchun 2
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
New Topics
STX Kickboxing Seminar
by Marcus Charles
09/09/14 06:57 PM
Biu Tzu- 1st section applications
by futsaowingchun
09/05/14 10:56 PM
2014 World Championships Chelyabinsk: The Gallery
by ergees
09/01/14 03:51 AM
Biu Tzu- Snake hand strike
by futsaowingchun
08/27/14 09:02 PM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
mindfullness meditation
by
01/06/09 11:27 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by
05/13/07 08:02 AM
Eugue Ryu
by
03/27/07 12:06 AM
Recent Posts
attacked from behind
by AndyLA
Yesterday at 09:05 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Matakiant
09/18/14 07:11 AM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
09/18/14 06:07 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by Zombie Zero
09/16/14 04:43 PM
Eugue Ryu
by kolslaw
09/12/14 03:35 PM
Biu Tzu- 1st section applications
by futsaowingchun
09/05/14 10:56 PM
2014 World Championships Chelyabinsk: The Gallery
by ergees
09/01/14 03:51 AM
mindfullness meditation
by log1call
08/31/14 09:43 PM
Biu Tzu- Snake hand strike
by futsaowingchun
08/27/14 09:02 PM
Forum Stats
22915 Members
36 Forums
35575 Topics
432495 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#247511 - 04/19/06 02:12 PM rumours?
baby_bwoy Offline
speed merchant

Loc: london
hey al guys..im filipino and its really nice to see a forum like this..but to get to the point, me and my dad always joke about fighting and ma and so on...we occasionally spar and he brought up the idea that the next time we go back to philippines that on his side of the family he would take me to afew of the boxing clubs he used to train at in his younger days and on my mums side id be taken to the yaw yan and other kick boxing clubs to fight there and train aswell...im really excited at the prospect, just that from what ive heard from my dad and my uncles that the other fighters there are really aggressive..ive been training for 5 years regularly but from some of the yaw yan videos ive seen they actually do look really agressive and though i train in full contact and sparr atleast once a week, im kinda worried about being over whelmed from the get go..i thought of pacing the fight in my way and tying them up or clinching and letting them run out of steam through thier agression but im stil alittle iffy on the matter, none the less im really excited but these facts or umours still have me a bit startled so im asking if you guys have any experience fighting really agressive opponents and also if you think traits such as agression can bestereotyped to a specific ethnicity on how and where they train...thanks

#247512 - 04/19/06 02:42 PM Re: rumours? [Re: baby_bwoy]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Loc: York PA. USA
I don't think aggressiveness has anything to do with ethnicity per se. Regional differences in fighting style can emphasize aggressiveness, but that is a trait to be brought out of the individual, not a whole group of people.

#247513 - 04/19/06 02:48 PM Re: rumours? [Re: baby_bwoy]
Cord Offline
Prolific

Loc: Cambridge UK.
i dont know if you read my 'welcome to thailand Cord' thread in the kickboxing forum, but it may help a little in adjusting to a different atmosphere of class/school.
My school is very much geared towards the teaching of and learning martial arts. We do spar, and we can go hard depending on individual agreement with the partner in question.
The thai boxing class I visited was for fighters and fighting. This can make a big difference to the atmosphere and content of you 90 minutes.

If you are going to visit gyms/schools geared towards fighting, you can only expect to meet aggression in the sparring environment- you are fighting a fighter.

Thats great if its what you want to do- that makes you a fighter too, and you can let loose with your own aggression in a consenting environment. There will still be rules, and the ability to tap/quit if it gets too much.

its not a geographical thing- the Dog Brothers are crazy hardcore in the good ol' USA. it just depends on the goals and philosophy of the trainers, and from there the students they attract.

You will be introduced to all these places by members of your family, and they have all trained in them and lived to tell the tale, so I suspect you will do just fine

#247514 - 04/23/06 08:38 PM Re: rumours? [Re: Cord]
SEAL Offline

I think the Dog Brothers are more crazy than hardcore. I totally disagree with their stance on minimal protection. It's machoism at its finest.

Edited by SEAL (04/23/06 08:38 PM)

#247515 - 04/23/06 09:32 PM Re: rumours? [Re: SEAL]
JKogas Offline
Prolific

Loc: North Carolina
The Dog Brothers fight like that only two times per year (unless people agree to do so on their own).

The stick-fighting that people see and assume is training, is actually video clips shot during those "Gatherings" that happen TWICE A YEAR. Twice. Not everyday.

Having spoken with Marc Denny personally about this, I can TELL you that isn't how they train on a daily basis, year round.

There wouldn't be any "Brothers" left in the "family" if they did otherwise.

Don't be mistaken about the Dog Brothers because of an assumption about their teaching and training methods. Do some research first.

-John

#247516 - 04/24/06 12:06 AM Re: rumours? [Re: JKogas]
SEAL Offline

With all due respect, I did do my research, thank you very much. And I wasn't making an assmumption about their entire training regimen. I'm not sure how you arrived at that statement. I am aware of their training. But it doesn't change the fact I still disapprove of fighting with minimal protection. I'm sorry but that is just stupid. Other than that, it's a great style. Personally, I prefer Tucci's style.

#247517 - 04/24/06 05:20 AM Re: rumours? [Re: JKogas]
Cord Offline
Prolific

Loc: Cambridge UK.
I hope my example doesn't derail the thread, I should clarify that i was merely illustrating that training with an ethos of testing ones skills in intense, consenting and controlled physical contact is not a situation unique to a specific culture or area, rather, it is controlled by the outlook and tutelage of the instructor and hence the students that their teaching appeals to.
i was not suggesting that the DB's just wailed at each other 24/7 with lumps of kamagong, to my (admittedly limited) understanding, you have to be invited to a 'gathering', such an invite I would assume is only issued if you have a reasonably high level of skill in stick fighting.

#247518 - 04/24/06 01:31 PM Re: rumours? [Re: Cord]
baby_bwoy Offline
speed merchant

Loc: london
Who are the dog brothers..i tried looking for them on internet and saw numerous links but im not sure who the real ones are..bless

#247519 - 04/24/06 03:03 PM Re: rumours? [Re: baby_bwoy]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Loc: York PA. USA

#247520 - 04/24/06 05:29 PM Re: rumours? [Re: SEAL]
JKogas Offline
Prolific

Loc: North Carolina
Quote:

With all due respect, I did do my research, thank you very much. And I wasn't making an assmumption about their entire training regimen. I'm not sure how you arrived at that statement. I am aware of their training. But it doesn't change the fact I still disapprove of fighting with minimal protection.

THAT I am ok with.

Quote:

I'm sorry but that is just stupid.

You know what they say about opinions....

Quote:

Personally, I prefer Tucci's style.

Why, because they fight with padded sticks and full plate mail?

Sorry, I just happen to believe completely in what the Dog Brothers do and what they're about. Understanding it on a deeper level reveals that they are ANYTHING but "stupid" with what they do.

So it isn't for you. Fine. It's not for a lot of people.

-John

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Cord, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Stun Guns
Variety of stun gun devices for your protection

Buy Pepper Spray
Worry about your family when you’re not around? Visit us today to protect everything you value.

Koryu.com
Accurate information on the ancient martial traditions of the Japanese samurai

C2 Taser
Protect yourself and loved ones from CRIME with the latest C2 Taser citizen model. Very effective.

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga