FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 35 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
LeroyCFischer, JadeKing, Beefcake, WesJones, simonajones111
22933 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
charlie 2
futsaowingchun 2
Zombie Zero 1
harlan 1
Matakiant 1
November
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
New Topics
unrecognized kata
by William_Bent
11/19/14 07:05 PM
I gained a lot of month in the last few months
by simonajones111
11/19/14 04:54 AM
Siu Lin Tao-3rd section applications
by futsaowingchun
11/13/14 06:48 PM
Screen fighting course UK December 2014
by charlie
11/11/14 04:09 PM
Siu Lin Tao-1st section Pak Sao explanations
by futsaowingchun
11/09/14 10:30 PM
I spy kata bunkai..
by GojuRyuboy13
10/29/14 08:28 AM
Judo 2014 World Championships Juniors: The Gallery
by ergees
10/25/14 04:53 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
MA style video library
by
03/22/06 03:18 PM
Recent Posts
unrecognized kata
by William_Bent
11/19/14 07:05 PM
I gained a lot of month in the last few months
by simonajones111
11/19/14 04:54 AM
Siu Lin Tao-3rd section applications
by futsaowingchun
11/13/14 06:48 PM
Screen fighting course UK December 2014
by charlie
11/11/14 04:09 PM
MA style video library
by charlie
11/11/14 04:05 PM
Siu Lin Tao-1st section Pak Sao explanations
by futsaowingchun
11/09/14 10:30 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/29/14 10:01 PM
I spy kata bunkai..
by GojuRyuboy13
10/29/14 08:28 AM
Judo 2014 World Championships Juniors: The Gallery
by ergees
10/25/14 04:53 PM
Forum Stats
22933 Members
36 Forums
35589 Topics
432521 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#247365 - 04/19/06 01:33 AM Superstitions
BrianS Offline
Higher rank than you
Professional Poster

Loc: Northwest Arkansas
Why are people so supersticious? My sister is the worlds worst. From astrology to salt,cats,ladders,horseshoes,etc...you name it she has a weird superstition about it. It kind of freaks me out.

To what extent are you superstitious?

#247366 - 04/19/06 01:47 AM Re: Superstitions [Re: BrianS]
Stormdragon Offline
Who Dares Wins
Professional Poster

Loc: Salem, OR
It can often be from Obsessive compulsive disorder. People will develope irrational fears and develope rituals or superstitions to prevent these irrational fears from coming true, like having everything arranged perfectly or their mom will die, or they will lose their job, and whatnot. I have a minor version of problem. It stems largely from irrational out of control fears caused by slight flaws with the brain or nervous system.
She could very likely have a case of obsessive compulsive disorder, you should have her look into that. It can also come from anxiety, and things like that.
Member of DaJoGen MMA school under Dave Hagen and Team Chaos fight team under Denver Mangiyatan and Chris Toquero, ran out of Zanshin Martial Arts in Salem Oregon: http://www.zanshinarts.org/Home.aspx,

#247367 - 04/19/06 01:53 AM Re: Superstitions [Re: BrianS]
Dereck Offline
Prolific

Loc: Great White North
I find myself from time to time saying something and then saying "knock on wood" and finding wood to do it.

Also during the playoffs for the NFL this year when my Steelers were in it, I had many superstitions that I did like wearing my cap during certain plays and touching the rim before the snap, and a few other things I was doing to ensure they won. Guess what ... it worked. So all of you Steeler fans can thank me now.

#247368 - 04/19/06 03:00 AM Re: Superstitions [Re: Stormdragon]
Mr_Heretik Offline
Veteran

Loc: Bronx NY, USA
Quote:

It can often be from Obsessive compulsive disorder. People will develope irrational fears and develope rituals or superstitions to prevent these irrational fears from coming true, like having everything arranged perfectly or their mom will die, or they will lose their job, and whatnot. I have a minor version of problem. It stems largely from irrational out of control fears caused by slight flaws with the brain or nervous system.
She could very likely have a case of obsessive compulsive disorder, you should have her look into that. It can also come from anxiety, and things like that.

I think everyone might have a little OCD...

#247369 - 04/19/06 03:29 AM Re: Superstitions [Re: Mr_Heretik]
BrianS Offline
Higher rank than you
Professional Poster

Loc: Northwest Arkansas
Quote:

Quote:

I think everyone might have a little OCD...

I think so too. I wasn't looking for a diagnosis for my sister I was just asking a question.

#247370 - 04/19/06 05:39 AM Re: Superstitions [Re: BrianS]
Cord Offline
Prolific

Loc: Cambridge UK.
Most superstition can be traced back through religious belief. For example the idea of walking under a ladder being unlucky has to do with the triangle the ladder forms with the floor and the wall symbolising the Holy trinity. To walk through it was seen as sacriligious.

I am a big beleiver in the power of tempting fate. On a journey in the car, if the wife says something like 'aren't the roads clear today' I tell her off for ensuring that a jam will be not be far ahead. Anytime someone gets ahead of themsleves with optimistic assumptions makes me grind my teeth- sports commentators are the worst 'oh he is on his way to a unanimous win!!!' is usualy the kiss of death to the dominant fighter- they will get hit with a flash KO by the end of the round.

Superstitions allow people to express their overriding mindset as part of their lives. Some find optimism, others pessimism (me), and others feel the burden of responsibility for their lives lifted by putting themselves in the hands of fate.

Its all acknowledgement of powers beyond out comprehension somehow deciding our path through life.

#247371 - 04/19/06 07:26 AM Re: Superstitions [Re: Cord]
Ed_Morris Offline
Professional Poster

superstitions are a way of coping with fears. our fears are sometimes irrational, therefore the 'cures' we come up with are equally irrational.

The most universal fear, is fear of the unknown. death being the largest unknown. The only thing thats sure is we all die. Instead of simply accepting it, we need ways to make us feel better about it. most institutionalized superstitions and cultural rituals around the world have at least this in common.

#247372 - 04/19/06 02:01 PM Re: Superstitions [Re: BrianS]
Stormdragon Offline
Who Dares Wins
Professional Poster

Loc: Salem, OR
Hey chill man, I'm studying psychology right now and part of my study includes learning ot diagnose people with certain issues and disorders, so what do ya expect. Besides, ihave OCD so I'm much more apt to pick up onsomeone who has it. And some peopel have it worse than others, mr. heretik, much worse.
Member of DaJoGen MMA school under Dave Hagen and Team Chaos fight team under Denver Mangiyatan and Chris Toquero, ran out of Zanshin Martial Arts in Salem Oregon: http://www.zanshinarts.org/Home.aspx,

#247373 - 04/19/06 02:10 PM Re: Superstitions [Re: Stormdragon]
still wadowoman Offline
Improved beefier techno-prat

Loc: Residence:UK- Heart:Md, USA
Being an intelligent being, I know that superstions are ridiculous and unneccesary. However, I often find myself doing or not doing something in line with superstition "Just in case"
Sharon

#247374 - 04/19/06 03:04 PM Re: Superstitions [Re: BrianS]
tkd_high_green Offline
Veteran

Loc: Vermont
Lucky horse shoes...Hah!

There is nothing lucky abot a horseshoe, especially when it is still attached to the horse that just stepped on your foot!

That aside, I think we all have supersitions that we observe, some that we've grown up with and were taught as children, and some that we may not even realize we have. Our brains are very good at observing patterns and making connections. For instance:

Over the course of one year, every time my mother cooked a ham for dinner, something would happen that would prevent us from being able to eat it. I fell (got bucked) off my horse and dislocated my shoulder, My mom tripped and broke her leg, etc. It even got to the point that if someone suggested the idea of getting a ham, someone would get hurt. Although we finally managed to have a ham for dinner without someone in the imediate family getting hurt, to this day, she will check with me to make sure I don't have a tournament, testing, or other special event to attend in the near vicinity which would be affected by her cooking a ham. Needless to say, we don't have ham very often anymore.

Laura

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Ames, Cord, MattJ, RazorFoot, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Self Defense
Offering stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and other self defense products not available in stores.

Pepper Spray
Online distributor of self defense supplies like videos, stun guns, Tasers and more.

Spy Cameras
Surveillance, Hidden Cameras, Nanny Cams, Digital Recorders, Spy Equipment, Pocket DVR's and more

Stun Gun
Wholesale Directlhy to the Public! Stun gun and Taser Guns and personal protection products. Keep your loved ones at home safe!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga