FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
1 registered (MattJ), 67 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Shanktotheright, royal, bobgalle100011, agenonline, TooNice
22862 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
THEFOREVERMAN 3
MattJ 2
Dobbersky 2
royal 2
cxt 1
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
New Topics
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by Marcus Charles
03/24/14 04:39 PM
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by Dobbersky
03/20/14 05:45 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
AKK kata question
by
09/04/05 01:27 PM
Recent Posts
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by Dobbersky
Today at 06:52 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by THEFOREVERMAN
04/16/14 08:20 AM
AKK kata question
by MattJ
04/04/14 05:45 PM
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Forum Stats
22862 Members
36 Forums
35546 Topics
432377 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#247354 - 04/19/06 09:17 PM Re: Professor Cates "nails it" [Re: ScottO]
Ed_Morris Offline
Professional Poster

"The Superior Man turns his attention to himself and molds his character."

#247355 - 04/19/06 09:21 PM Re: Professor Cates "nails it" [Re: bobmax]
MattJ Online   happy
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Loc: York PA. USA
Folks -

Let's refocus the argument here. I think that Prof. Cates was really talking about internet blowhards that lack any real-world skill. He is probably refering to folks that claim things like, say.....punching trees, defeating other masters, jumping off second-story buildings, etc (when they actually can't).

I know that I can generally get a pretty good sense of when someone knows what they are talking about here or not. Ego and knowledge are not always proportionate - you can have lots of one and not the other, or lots of both. Time will usually tell which.

#247356 - 04/19/06 09:34 PM Re: Professor Cates "nails it" [Re: Galen]
wristtwister Offline
like a chiropractor, only evil

Loc: South Carolina
Quote:

Hold on here…are you actually saying that if you can beat me up, that makes you right?

Talk about a leap of logic... The point was that you can say anything on an internet board, but if you say that same thing on the mat training with someone, you may carry your teeth home in a bag. It has nothing to do with "being right" in any way, shape, or form.

Quote:

The fact that you expect a certain amount of respect based on your experience shows that you completely miss my point.

No, you seem to discount anything learned from experience and replace it with your beliefs. You can't have it both ways, however. You say you have respect for experience, and then discount the information, and call it name dropping if I name the source. Would you feel better if I just quoted something they might have written in one of their books? You apparently have a problem with my acquaintences, and I wouldn't trade 10 minutes of the time I've spent training with them for any accolades from you or the people on this board. Sorry, you come in 2nd every time on that.

Quote:

You realize that the venom you are spitting at me is as easily applied to you, right? Just so ya know…

The point of this thread was to show that the internet boards are nothing but venom pools. Professor Cates recognized that a level of disrespect for pioneers in American martial arts exists with anonymous snipers, and with little if any of the discipline, knowledge, or conduct that is imbedded in martial arts training.

Quote:

Both are forums for demonstrating skill; one physical, one intellectual.

Oh, so "internet board posters" are now "intellectuals"? Give me a break... or better yet, learn to use a spell checker...

Quote:

I haven’t seen much from you here in the way of logical, well thought-out argument, but at the end of day, I am glad we had this exchange. If nothing else, it reinforced my original opinion of you.

The more you say, the more you prove Professor Cate's point.

#247357 - 04/19/06 09:41 PM Re: Professor Cates "nails it" [Re: Ed_Morris]
wristtwister Offline

Low punch, Ed... but effective...

You have to remember I'm under stress...

#247358 - 04/19/06 09:46 PM Re: Professor Cates "nails it" [Re: wristtwister]
MattJ Online   happy
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Loc: York PA. USA
Quote by wristtwister -

Quote:

The point of this thread was to show that the internet boards are nothing but venom pools.

I can see where people get that impression. I see sites like this more as schools (elementary schools, LOL ). Learning can go on, but with all the screaming, gum chewing, spitballs and rude noises that happen when beginners and experts of different ages get together.

Joss made a really good point in that words will only hurt you if you let them. I have had my art(s) and myself personally slagged here several times. But always by folks I could care less about. So, in the end......meh.

I do wonder if many high ranking people share the "venom pool" view because we (lower ranks) have little to offer you besides questions.

#247359 - 04/19/06 10:08 PM Re: Professor Cates "nails it" [Re: wristtwister]
Ed_Morris Offline
Professional Poster

I was hoping you saw the hint of humor. I got my 'intellectual' wise-ass kicked when I first came on here...some of the insults really hit dangerously close to home and got me thinking. What I found is, we can never go wrong posting truthfully and without agenda....without ego is even harder to do. If others don't even try to post with any of those virtues, then they deserve anywhere between being ignored to a severe roasting....depending on what one is in the mood for that day.

That aside, I know you must be going thru a rough time, I hope your family is doing as well as possible.

#247360 - 04/19/06 10:16 PM Re: Professor Cates "nails it" [Re: Galen]
Galen Offline

Quote:

Oh, so "internet board posters" are now "intellectuals"? Give me a break... or better yet, learn to use a spell checker...

To start with, you really do need to start reading before you post. I defy you to state where exactly I said this. Let me save you the time.

NO WHERE.

Secondly, I think we have both made our points, however successfully (or unsuccessfully) is for the general population to decide, so I am dropping the matter here.

However, if the best you can do it attack my spelling then I think I can safely say I have you on the ropes. And by the way, ‘ya’ and ‘dontcha’, the only words in my post spelled incorrectly, were spelled that way on purpose.

Too funny.

G

#247361 - 04/19/06 10:50 PM Re: Professor Cates "nails it" [Re: wristtwister]
Just1Mike Offline
No, the OTHER Mike

Loc: Louisiana, USA
Hi folks,

I agree with the professor that these things do indeed occur. However I don't see why he would let himself be so upset by it. What good is someones opinion of you going to do if you ever need to use your training? You'll live or die depending on weather or not someone in Kookamonga thinks you're good? I hope not. The internet is everyones watering hole, and the tigers have to share it with an occasional baboon. That's just the way it is I guess. Someone says you suck, traditional martial arts suck, The trainings outdated, Kata is worthless so they're not going to waste they're time doing it. Their training is effected, Not yours. What's the difference if they are in fact, knowledgable, experienced people or Google intoxicated info freaks? If what they post is useful, use it. Some troublemakers hide behind annonymous names or codes on the internet,and in real life hide behind the law. They're cowards and I suppose they can't rest till the whole world knows it. So be it.

Good Luck!
Mike

#247362 - 04/19/06 10:55 PM Re: Professor Cates "nails it" [Re: Just1Mike]
wristtwister Offline

Good perspective Mike...

#247363 - 04/21/06 10:45 AM Re: Professor Cates "nails it" [Re: wristtwister]
Ironfoot Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: St. Clair Shores, MI USA
Let's lighten up a little.
Firstly, I avoid any person or institution that can't laugh at themselves.

Secondly, in any endeavor there are a few who are very good, more that are pretty good, many more who haven't got it. Then there are the morons (and the internet is a great place to see them) who look ridiculous if they even try.

I'm just hoping the bald man with the red beard has NO training, and put the video together as a joke.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Fight Videos
Night club fight footage and street fights captured with the world's first bouncer spy cam

How to Matrix!
Learn ten times faster with new training method. Learn entire arts for as little as $10 per disk.

Self Defense
Stun guns, pepper spray, Mace and self defense products. Alarms for personal and home use.

TASER MC26C
Stop An Urban Gorilla: Get 2 FREE TASER M26C Replacement Air Cartridges With Each New TASER M26C!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga