FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 31 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
BUJU, Pilsungkarate, ALF, old1, Leonar
22928 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
futsaowingchun 3
Ronin1966 3
ergees 2
Victor Smith 1
GojuRyuboy13 1
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
New Topics
Judo 2014 World Championships Juniors: The Gallery
by ergees
Yesterday at 04:53 PM
The Classic Pak Sao drill
by futsaowingchun
10/20/14 10:32 AM
wing chun kicks and knees
by futsaowingchun
10/09/14 12:55 AM
2014 European Championships Juniors: the Gallery
by ergees
10/05/14 10:56 AM
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
09/30/14 12:10 AM
Living a full life violence free...
by GojuRyuboy13
09/25/14 08:50 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Leo's Judo Journal
by Leo_E_49
01/24/12 02:58 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by
05/13/07 08:02 AM
Recent Posts
Judo 2014 World Championships Juniors: The Gallery
by ergees
Yesterday at 04:53 PM
Living a full life violence free...
by GojuRyuboy13
10/22/14 07:20 AM
The Classic Pak Sao drill
by futsaowingchun
10/20/14 10:32 AM
Leo's Judo Journal
by swordy
10/11/14 09:21 AM
The Karate punch
by Ronin1966
10/09/14 03:16 PM
wing chun kicks and knees
by futsaowingchun
10/09/14 12:55 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Ronin1966
10/08/14 09:22 PM
2014 European Championships Juniors: the Gallery
by ergees
10/05/14 10:56 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by AndyLA
10/04/14 10:20 AM
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
09/30/14 12:10 AM
Forum Stats
22928 Members
36 Forums
35583 Topics
432511 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#246126 - 04/14/06 05:22 PM Krav in LI, New York
cronin Offline

Loc: Long Island, NY
Hello,
I was curious to hear from any folks who currently train in KM in Long Island, New York. Where do you train and how is it going?

Thanks in advance!

#246127 - 04/14/06 07:03 PM Re: Krav in LI, New York [Re: cronin]
SEAL Offline

Hello,

Nice to talk to a fellow Long Islander. I don't train in krav Maga yet. I intend to very, very soon. I checked out kmli.com. Their official name is Kombat Masters of Long Island and they're located in Hicksville. Another good school to check out, which is exclusive to our area is V-Force Scientific Fighting Concepts, located in Franklin Square. It's another popular combatative that is exclusive to our area. Check out the forum on the aforementioned Krav Maga site. You can talk directly to the instructors and relay to them any concerns or questions you may have about their school or Krav Maga. Is this your first venture into martial arts or are you an experienced martial artist?

Take care and good luck.

Edited by SEAL (04/14/06 07:04 PM)

#246128 - 04/15/06 11:16 AM Re: Krav in LI, New York [Re: SEAL]
cronin Offline

Hello Seal:

Thanks for the reply! I've practiced kickboxing/muay thai for several years and recently been doing bjj--however, because of scheduling conflicts (work and becoming a new father) I can't continue bjj. So, I was looking for some place I can train along the same lines as well as fitting into my crazy schedule. I wasn't even specifically looking for a KM place, as I somehow fell upon it. After some research, and finding great info from KMLI and this awesome forum, I'm at once intrigued and excited. It somehow 'fills the hole' of some traditional arts and combat/full contact sports (w/r/t self defense and street situations).

It's funny you've mentioned KMLI as I've been on the forum (I believe I saw a SEAL there too- coincidence? ;-) as well as emailing Mozelle who's been nothing but responsive and helpful. From what I've read it sounds like a great place and the schedule is unbelievably good for me. Before, because of scheduling, I couldn't consistently train, which I'm sure you know, is a bit frustrating when you have to get past that curve after a break. And from what I've read, KM training sounds like fun (read: hard/intense).

I'm going to schedule an intro very soon so, if I make it before you, I'll tell you how it goes!

#246129 - 04/16/06 01:39 PM Re: Krav in LI, New York [Re: cronin]
Plantman Offline

Loc: Maimi
Former Israeli Defense force instructor Boaz Aviram teaches in NY, look him up at kravmaganewyork.net

Doesn't get any better than that.

#246130 - 04/16/06 04:41 PM Re: Krav in LI, New York [Re: cronin]
SEAL Offline

I'd love to train with someone like that! But me and cronin live far from where he trains.

Yea, definitely get back to me about the place. I also have a situation with work; so, I'm waiting in limbo 'till that clears up. These combatatives are amazing. I recall one guy on the kmli forum who did Aikido for 12 years and said this was much better.

I've been doing a lot of research on combatatives like Krav Maga and I can't wait to join. At one time, I considered training in Aikido. I saw a class and soon realized this is not for me. There is no sparring and I didn't see any of the techniques that day applied to resisting opponents.

What is your pleasure for Krav Maga? Are you looking for self-defense or sport?

TK

#246131 - 04/17/06 09:44 AM Re: Krav in LI, New York [Re: SEAL]
cronin Offline

Plantman- thanks for the link, but Seal's right, it's a bit of a hike.

Seal- I'm going to see how this week looks for an intro and let you know. I guess what really interested me in KM and combatives in general is the self defense aspect and its mindset w/r/t different street situations. BJJ is great and its techniques are excellent, but the club where I go to is more sport-oriented. Which is not to say it's bad at all (hopefully, I intend to continue once I have more time and money). I think right now-for me, since I'm at a point where I need to think about my family and as well as my own self-preservation. But I'm also very interested in ma, fitness and competition. I think KM will cover everything and shed some light as to what to do in certain situations.

#246132 - 04/19/06 09:34 AM Re: First class at KMLI [Re: SEAL]
cronin Offline

Hey Seal (and anyone who's interested)
Had my KM intro class Monday night. Michael Blitz, President and Chief Instructor at KMLI, greeted me at the door while the Level 1 class was about to start. He's very personable and articulate, which is great for any newbie. Surprisingly, the place itself was smaller than I expected, but that feeling faded once the class started. And, it's a testament to the school when it's packed on a Monday night (around 14 total- 12 guys and 2 girls).

The class started with a warmup and stretching- something of what you'd expect and from what I've experienced from both BJJ and thaiboxing warmups: bodyweight exercises with reps counted down and repeated in circuits. The stragglers coming in late were reprimanded by Michael much like a drill sargeant who would 'punish' recruits for being late-- giving them more and more pushups and squats until they surrendered.

We then paired up for combatives which is similar to pad training in thaiboxing, with the exception is that I was aiming for a kick to the person's groin. 20 reps, switch feet, 20 reps, then one/ two punch, 20 reps, then your partner has a turn. (BTW- you may want to bring your own pair of bag/grappling gloves/or handwraps as my knuckles are pretty raw today.) What was refreshing was that there was little fixing on form from my part, however, I had to adapt my arm swing (old thai boxing habit) when I kicked to keeping them both up. Michael encouraged, pushed and made corrections when needed as he walked around the class. This went on for a good 15 minutes or so, with variations on count, hands and most importantly, movement of the pad holder. To finish up, we went onto hand blocking- sort of forearm blocking the other's overhand (haymaker type) open hand strikes to your head and face, but always trying to get inside position after blocking.

Then it was on to technique- which reminded me of bjj training. We did a standing side headlock defense that involved 1) step to attacker's front and palm strike to his groin 2) cranking the attacker's head back with your hand by way of a finger to the nose (upwards pressure to the septum or sinus cavity). Subsequently, if done right, this led to the attacker bending his head back, leaving his throat open for a strike and/or subsequently, falling backwards. There were Level 2's there who already had this down. Lucky for me, my partner was a level 2 that broke it down for me when we drilled it. After awhile, it started to flow. Then we trained the other side and switched. Afterwards, Micheal threw in a stress drill- grouped up 3 people- one doing the same defense on the attacker, this time the downed attacker is mounted with the third. The third starts open-hand striking to the face and head when in mount and the person on the bottom defends with forearm blocks for 20 seconds and then switches with someone else. This was a nonstop drill for five minutes. The technique training seemed to be around 20 minutes or more.

The last drill seemed to be a handfighting/wrestling/grappling drill- we partnered up and went head to head, both in pushup position and tried to make the other person fall with just the use of our hands- so armdrags, picks, feints, whatever, to get the other person to drop on his/her face. The loser would have to do 10 pushups. Subsequently, the final drill was pushups, as many as you could, until Michael said you could stop.

We lined up, Michael made announcements to a yellow belt seminar and also mentioned my being there and congratualing me on holding my own with the rest of the others- it's a nice touch for any newbie (or seasoned practitioner) to be recognized and I know, now, why there's such a close sense of community at this place.

As you probably guessed, it was a good intro and I'm signing up as soon as my night time schedule lets up (within a week or so). As for me, I like that it took what I liked from my previous ma experience and also made available some new and 'dirty' tricks to my repertoire. I like that it includes a fight class, power punch class and a Kombat Women's class- something that my wife could easily take under my membership (if I went with the annual). I like that belts are given upon merit and skillsets-sort of like bjj- which means that you can test only if and when Michael thinks you're ready.

Sorry for the long post, but I'd thought I'd give you an update (you should see the notes I take for bjj). Don't want to sound like one of those cheesy infomercial testimonials, but see it for yourself! I don't think you'd be dissapointed. It lived up to my expectations and then some.

Edited by cronin (04/19/06 12:01 PM)

#246133 - 04/19/06 11:18 AM Re: First class at KMLI [Re: cronin]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Loc: York PA. USA
Great update, cronin. Sounds like a pretty good workout, and you enjoyed it. Keep us posted.

#246134 - 04/19/06 12:03 PM Re: First class at KMLI [Re: cronin]
RangerG Offline
Former Moderator

Loc: Chester County, Pennsylvania

You are going to have the time of your life....

#246135 - 04/19/06 04:18 PM Re: First class at KMLI [Re: cronin]
Dedicated1 Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania, U.S.A.
It just keeps getting better and better! Keep at it and have fun!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Cord, Dedicated1, JasonM, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Fight Videos
Night club fight footage and street fights captured with the world's first bouncer spy cam

How to Matrix!
Learn ten times faster with new training method. Learn entire arts for as little as $10 per disk.

Self Defense
Stun guns, pepper spray, Mace and self defense products. Alarms for personal and home use.

TASER MC26C
Stop An Urban Gorilla: Get 2 FREE TASER M26C Replacement Air Cartridges With Each New TASER M26C!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga