FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 71 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Thomas_Kungfu, traa1, JohnRay50, nogibjjgear, Jrogers001
23250 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
traa1 1
liangxiaoyu123 1
Thomas_Kungfu 1
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
New Topics
differences between shaolin and wing chun ?
by liangxiaoyu123
04/28/20 01:05 AM
Recent Posts
differences between shaolin and wing chun ?
by liangxiaoyu123
04/28/20 01:05 AM
Forum Stats
23250 Members
36 Forums
35704 Topics
432774 Posts

Max Online: 488 @ 01/23/20 01:55 PM
Topic Options
#245041 - 04/11/06 05:41 PM JKD Unlimited
Shyro Offline

As I already mentioned before in the forum, in my country there are no Jeet Kune Do instructors.

Last week I found out a group of jeet kune do students was training in the capital. Suprised, I asked for information...

They told me I could attend jeet kune do lessons twice a month for €40 a month. A little shocked I asked for more information like whos the instructor and what's his experience in martial arts (still waiting for that info).

I saw that JKD Unlimited members had discount so I went seeing what was JKD Unlimited and found a website that was selling certificates?...

Was wondering was you guys think of this site? Seems a like crap to me selling cerifcated over the web and I won't probably attend the lessons but I would like to hear a second(third, or more) opinion.

Needless to say, whoever might the instructor be, he probably learned martial arts via this site.

#245042 - 04/11/06 06:21 PM Re: JKD Unlimited [Re: Shyro]
JKogas Offline
Prolific

Loc: North Carolina
Shyro wrote:
Quote:

I saw that JKD Unlimited members had discount so I went seeing what was JKD Unlimited and found a website that was selling certificates?...

Was wondering was you guys think of this site? Seems a like crap to me selling cerifcated over the web and I won't probably attend the lessons but I would like to hear a second(third, or more) opinion.

Needless to say, whoever might the instructor be, he probably learned martial arts via this site.

They’re not “selling” them at JKDU, I can assure you.

JKD Unlimited is headed up by Burton Richardson. He’s a LONG-TIME and very well-respected JKD instructor and a member of the infamous Dog Brothers (www.dogbrothers.com). I can say nothing but good things about Burton and JKDU.

What they DO sell are memberships to JKDU but those are NOT certificates to teach (although you can pursue certification through Burton and JKDU, you CAN’T buy it).

Anyone that is affiliated with JKD Unlimited is worth every penny to train with!

-John

#245043 - 04/11/06 07:23 PM Re: JKD Unlimited [Re: JKogas]
Shyro Offline

http://jkdunlimited.com/wrapper.php?file=becomecertified.htm

Certification is a word that appears everywhere in this site. That's why I asked, but since you say it is great I'll take a closer look.

regarding the dog brothers... practicing like that is kind of stupid...:)

#245044 - 04/11/06 07:26 PM Re: JKD Unlimited [Re: Shyro]
JKogas Offline
Prolific

Shyro wrote:
Quote:

http://jkdunlimited.com/wrapper.php?file=becomecertified.htm

Certification is a word that appears everywhere in this site. That's why I asked, but since you say it is great I'll take a closer look.

Certification is mentioned because it IS a service that JKDU provides. However, you have to pursue it as you would any other school of worth.

Quote:

regarding the dog brothers... practicing like that is kind of stupid...:)

But they DON'T practice that way. What most people see the Dog Brothers doing is something that happens only twice a year - and then by only very experienced members who make the CHOICE to engage in stick fighting. Those are special events called, "Gatherings".

-John

#245045 - 04/11/06 10:16 PM Re: JKD Unlimited [Re: JKogas]
modernsamurai Offline

Loc: Hawaii
JKD Unlimited is a pretty solid system. Burton has trained with some of the best martial artists in the world. You can learn a lot about JKD from either his class here in Honolulu or through his performance groups world wide.

That being said, the only bad thing I can say about Burton's teaching method is that it completely lacks intensity, his personal classes are only an hour long and if you are in moderately good shape you can leave without ever coming close to breaking a sweat. If you are looking for intense training I would look elsewhere but if you are interested in self defense lessons, minus traditional elements, that you can train casually in once or twice a week and see some good results I would say JKD Unlimited is exceptional.

Again none of this is meant on an attack on Burton, I think he is amazing. I am simply attempting to objectively present some info about his teaching style/system.

#245046 - 04/13/06 09:50 PM Re: JKD Unlimited [Re: modernsamurai]
Kentao5 Offline

Loc: Mount Joy, Pa.
As a martial artist since 1969, I went the "traditional" route through 3 systems, Isshin-ryu, Moo Duk Kwan & Aikido, with ranking as high as 6th dan. In 1999 I had the pleasure and good fortune to meet Sifu Burt at a seminar and have been a member of JKDU ever since. I eventually recieved a level 1 Instructorship and can tell you that you definitaly do not "buy" certification. One has to perform in 7, 90 sec. rounds against a resisting opponent. Stick vs. stick, knife vs. knife, Kickboxing with takedowns, clinch with takedowns, defending the guard, passing the guard, and finally anything goes. This is done against different & fresh people for each round. It is definitly a performance based criteria. I just wish I had been exposed to this type of training 30 years ago. JKDU has a lot to offer and highly recommended. Burton is continually updating and working with some of the top MMA people.
Ken

#245047 - 04/15/06 05:06 PM Re: JKD Unlimited [Re: Kentao5]
simplicity Offline

Loc: Michigan
But he's not a JKD Man, Concept yes!

#245048 - 04/15/06 05:18 PM Re: JKD Unlimited [Re: simplicity]
JKogas Offline
Prolific

Quote:

Wha?

How is he not a JKD man?

#245049 - 04/17/06 04:20 PM Re: JKD Unlimited [Re: JKogas]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Loc: York PA. USA
Quote:

Quote:

Wha?

How is he not a JKD man?

He must do "hubud".

#245050 - 04/17/06 05:23 PM Re: JKD Unlimited [Re: MattJ]
JKogas Offline
Prolific

OR...

He DOESN'T do CHI-SAO (which is probably more the case nowadays).

-John

Moderator:  Cord, JKogas, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Stun Guns
Variety of stun gun devices for your protection

Buy Pepper Spray
Worry about your family when you’re not around? Visit us today to protect everything you value.

Koryu.com
Accurate information on the ancient martial traditions of the Japanese samurai

C2 Taser
Protect yourself and loved ones from CRIME with the latest C2 Taser citizen model. Very effective.

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga