FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 28 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
TomRosenberg, jessylin, play, Keith_G, LeroyCFischer
22937 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
jwwmantis 2
Beefcake 1
LeroyCFischer 1
futsaowingchun 1
Zombie Zero 1
December
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
New Topics
Freeing Hand-Wing Chun's last movements
by futsaowingchun
12/17/14 09:40 PM
2015 Master Yang Jwing-Ming Seminar
by jwwmantis
12/05/14 10:36 PM
The Beginners Guide To Stretching
by
12/27/06 11:43 AM
Your true goal
by
03/03/06 07:16 AM
Recent Posts
Freeing Hand-Wing Chun's last movements
by futsaowingchun
12/17/14 09:40 PM
Your true goal
by Beefcake
12/11/14 02:44 AM
The Beginners Guide To Stretching
by LeroyCFischer
12/04/14 02:07 AM
Forum Stats
22937 Members
36 Forums
35591 Topics
432526 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#243784 - 04/07/06 11:15 AM Re: Moral questions... [Re: harlan]
Ed_Morris Offline
Professional Poster

That works when looking at it from a personal point of view...but think larger.

lets flip it upside down:

The reason they dim the lights in the theatre, isn't to discourage people from reading...it's to encourage focusing on the movie. I suppose someone could break out a book light and make a good dent in a book during the 100 minutes....but then, why go to the movie in the first place? If people complain of your book light and you are ordered to either shut it off or leave...do you have any moral right to argue?

#243785 - 04/07/06 11:30 AM Re: Moral questions... [Re: Ed_Morris]
harlan Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Amherst, MA
Up to the establishment. You bought a ticket for your enjoyment...not to insure that others get the same lesson. If the house is not okay with extra lighting and you are inflexible to the idea of changing your seating or assumptions...find another theatre.

#243786 - 04/07/06 11:43 AM Re: Moral questions... [Re: Ed_Morris]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Loc: York PA. USA
Quote:

1. Comic books in a public library. and Comic books in a public elementary school library.

Library? Sure. Comic books are not just for kids. A large part of my vocabulary came from reading comics, as well as some learning in biology, technology and foreign languages.

Elementary school.......hmmmmm. Depends on what comics.

Quote:

2. kids playing gameboy in a dojo while they are waiting for class to begin. Adults telling each other jokes and laughing in a dojo prior to class.

Before class? I don't see the problem.

Quote:

3. A 'General Talk' forum on a Martial Arts site.

A good idea? We'll see, but it has worked on many other MA forums.

Quote:

4. Family watching TV from the dinner table every night while eating dinner.

Not good.

Quote:

5. Commercials that appear to be news and made to look like a real news segment by a reporter, but are actually paid for and scripted by a corporation and presented by a performer/actor.

Total BS, should not even be allowed.

#243787 - 04/07/06 12:03 PM Re: Moral questions... [Re: Ed_Morris]
butterfly Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Torrance, CA
1. Comic books in a public library. and Comic books in a public elementary school library.

No problems with it. At least someone is reading.

2. kids playing gameboy in a dojo while they are waiting for class to begin. Adults telling each other jokes and laughing in a dojo prior to class.

No problem with this either. If you went to work and were a half hour early in the parking lot, would you let your boss tell you what to do before you got into your cubicle? Man, I hate the cubicle.

As far as jokes, I have no problems with them in class as long as they aren't interjected at inappropriate times. Practice, like anything, should be serious, but it has to be fun too. And that means getting to know the people around you.

3. A 'General Talk' forum on a Martial Arts site. Well, most martial artists are not only concerned about martial arts. They have jobs, families, and other considerations. Why not talk about them?

I don't have cable and refuse to watch TV when having a discussion with the wife...unless I am the one being discussed to.

5. Commercials that appear to be news and made to look like a real news segment by a reporter, but are actually paid for and scripted by a corporation and presented by a performer/actor.

***This is immoral crap. The only reason to desguise a thing is to fool someone into thinking it has inherent legitimacy. Bad!

#243788 - 04/07/06 01:06 PM Re: Moral questions... [Re: butterfly]
Dereck Offline
Prolific

Loc: Great White North
Quote:

Man, I hate the cubicle.

I'm in one as we speak. We refer to them here as cell blocks, not kidding. I am in cell block "B".

#243789 - 04/08/06 09:30 AM Re: Moral questions... [Re: MattJ]
RazorFoot Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Seated at the computer, DUH
Quote:

Quote:

Library? Sure. Comic books are not just for kids. A large part of my vocabulary came from reading comics, as well as some learning in biology, technology and foreign languages.

Elementary school.......hmmmmm. Depends on what comics.

Quote:

Before class? I don't see the problem.

Quote:

3. A 'General Talk' forum on a Martial Arts site.

A good idea? We'll see, but it has worked on many other MA forums.

Quote:

Not good.

Quote:

Total BS, should not even be allowed.

Ditto, once again you echo my thoughts. GET OUTTA MY HEAD MAN!

Scottie

#243790 - 04/11/06 10:21 PM Re: Moral questions... [Re: RazorFoot]
funstick5000 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: West Yorkshire, England
no problems with comics in librarys or schools. they should bring in more graphic novels as well.

not really bothered what people do before the class as long as the volume is off.

we've needed this part of the forum for some time now.

we have a tv at the table but it doesn't control us and we talk over it.

don't really exist in england. it also only takes 50 people to complain before an advert is removed in england so they wouldn't last long anyway.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Ames, Cord, MattJ, RazorFoot, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Fight Videos
Night club fight footage and street fights captured with the world's first bouncer spy cam

How to Matrix!
Learn ten times faster with new training method. Learn entire arts for as little as $10 per disk.

Self Defense
Stun guns, pepper spray, Mace and self defense products. Alarms for personal and home use.

TASER MC26C
Stop An Urban Gorilla: Get 2 FREE TASER M26C Replacement Air Cartridges With Each New TASER M26C!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga