FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 30 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
mohdnabeel, sunny, swordy, jerrybarry24, SenseiGregT
22915 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Ed_Morris 4
AndyLA 3
Zombie Zero 2
Matakiant 2
futsaowingchun 2
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
New Topics
STX Kickboxing Seminar
by Marcus Charles
09/09/14 06:57 PM
Biu Tzu- 1st section applications
by futsaowingchun
09/05/14 10:56 PM
2014 World Championships Chelyabinsk: The Gallery
by ergees
09/01/14 03:51 AM
Biu Tzu- Snake hand strike
by futsaowingchun
08/27/14 09:02 PM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
mindfullness meditation
by
01/06/09 11:27 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by
05/13/07 08:02 AM
Eugue Ryu
by
03/27/07 12:06 AM
Recent Posts
attacked from behind
by AndyLA
09/19/14 09:05 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Matakiant
09/18/14 07:11 AM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
09/18/14 06:07 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by Zombie Zero
09/16/14 04:43 PM
Eugue Ryu
by kolslaw
09/12/14 03:35 PM
Biu Tzu- 1st section applications
by futsaowingchun
09/05/14 10:56 PM
2014 World Championships Chelyabinsk: The Gallery
by ergees
09/01/14 03:51 AM
mindfullness meditation
by log1call
08/31/14 09:43 PM
Biu Tzu- Snake hand strike
by futsaowingchun
08/27/14 09:02 PM
Forum Stats
22915 Members
36 Forums
35575 Topics
432495 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 9 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Topic Options
#243481 - 05/28/06 01:14 PM Re: Anyone practice Shorin ryu? [Re: TeK9]
Jronin Offline
Stranger

If you are looking for an authentic Shorin-Ryu, look at the AKF (American Karate Federation). They are not well known and do not advertise other than a couple hard to find websites. There is absolutely no money involved but the class size is kept manageable by a strenuous and intense session that not a lot of people can handle. Sometimes that makes it difficult to drag myself to the dojo but it is always worth it after training. As you can probably tell, this is not a dojo for the kids (It would probably be somewhat traumatic) but don't get me wrong, I am sure there are plenty of good Shorin-Ryu dojos out there that are a better fit for the younger generation or for people that cannot handle the workout that AKF gives you. I'm just saying, if you want truly authentic and traditional, the way (I think) Shorin-Ryu was meant to be, check out this link: http://shorinryu-karate.com/
To answer your first question, by the way, I do practice and am a Nidan, I began years ago at the Iowa City dojo (the main hub for AKF) and practice at one of the others (which one is not important because they all stick to the same precepts) listed on the website now.

#243482 - 05/28/06 01:24 PM Re: Anyone practice Shorin ryu? [Re: Jronin]
PaulHart Offline
banned member

Loc: The Real
Yes, the AKF is a branch off of Matsubayashi Shorin Ryu, under Nagamine Shoshin. They are a hard core group of guys and teach a good system of Shorin Ryu. If you are looking for a hard core work out, and these guys are around you, it would do you good to look them up.

#243483 - 05/29/06 11:42 PM Re: Anyone practice Shorin ryu? [Re: TeK9]
Shugyokan Offline

Loc: Carson
Quote:

1)I had no idea shorin ryu was such controversial art. 2)WHo created all these damn verions of the art?
3)Do they all not practice the same kata?
4) Do they all not have the same exact movies/techniques?

1) Who told you and where did you get the info pertaining to Shorin Ryu controversies ?
2) MAJOR BRANCHES OF SHORIN RYU
- Matsumura Orthodox = Hohan Soken
- Kobayashi Ryu = Chosin Chibana
- Shobayashi Ryu = Chotoku Kyan
- Matsubayashi Ryu = Shoshin Nagamine
3) Same Kata but different interpretation by the founders.
4) Shorin Ryu has no movies ? Same concept on Waza but differs in executions.

Quote:

I mean SheeSH, I do WTF taekwondo and I understand there is an ITF taekwondo and as far as I can see we have the same exact techniques and pretty much practice similar forms. The only difference is that WTF taekwondo emphasizes sparring more. But they still are the same style.

I have trained in both and NO ! they are not the same. ITF (International TaeKwondo Federation) is a world apart from WTF (World Taekwondo Federation) in terms of Hyungs, Poosmse , Kibon and Kyorugi.

Quote:

Don't tell me that the Okinawen styles are like this? I thought all the styles were standardized and that the only seperation was by which organization each school took part in.

How many styles of shorin, goju, uechi,isshin, shorinji ryu's can there be???

I strongly suggest that you need to take the time to gather up more information by way of the internet if there are no other resources available.

Hope this helps !

#243484 - 05/30/06 12:03 AM Re: Anyone practice Shorin ryu? [Re: Shugyokan]
PaulHart Offline
banned member

Loc: The Real
Hello and welcome to Fightingarts.com Forum Prince Loeffler Sir. I have read more than a few of your posts on a few other forums. I believe Tek9 was trying to say that the styles of TKD are similar, although they are not the same.

I know that there is some similarities between Kobayashi and Shobayashi, with Shobayashi including the Goju Kata. Matsubayashi is more with the Tomari, if I am not mistaken. Matsumura Seito is pretty standard to Kobayashi, with the inclusion of the Hakutsuru Kata, and all have some technical differences.

On my site all the Kata are listed, as we have members from each of the Shorin groups. Of course it is a Preservation Society for All Shorin Ryu. I myself have studied three Shorin systems over time, Matsumura Seito, Kobayashi (Miyahira Ha) and my main style Matsumura Shorin Ryu. I will soon start the study of Matsubayashi Kata and technique, so that I will have the knowledge to explain the differences. I am pretty familiar with Shobayashi, though I do not have a rank in it. I was lucky enough to train with Eizo Shimabuku and one of his direct students for a little over a year. Pretty standard except for the Goju Kata as I stated earlier.

I look forward to your posts.

#243485 - 05/30/06 12:36 AM Re: Anyone practice Shorin ryu? [Re: PaulHart]
Shugyokan Offline

Loc: Carson
Thanks for the Welcome Hart Sensei. There are some similarities between the Kobayashi style and the Shobayashi Style. Althought, thru the founders interpretation and philosophy might perhaps differ in Bunkai and other applications. If we take Kusanku as an example for intances, In Matsubayashi Ryu, We execute Mae Geri, while another style prefers Yoko Geri. From untrained eyes, they may look like the same kata, but microscopically, we may see the slight differences.

Matsubayashi Ryu roots falls right up to Shuri. Althought , There are no clear cut evidences as to what role the Tomari system has any influenced on Nagamine Sensei's art is. At this juncture its better to say that its best to leave any conclusions open for interpretations.

I am looking forward in exchanging and trading informations with you Hart Sensei, I am as well curious about the Matsumura system of Karate.

Thanks again !

Page 9 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderator:  Ames, Cord, MattJ, Reiki, Ronin1966 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Self Defense
Offering stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and other self defense products not available in stores.

Pepper Spray
Online distributor of self defense supplies like videos, stun guns, Tasers and more.

Spy Cameras
Surveillance, Hidden Cameras, Nanny Cams, Digital Recorders, Spy Equipment, Pocket DVR's and more

Stun Gun
Wholesale Directlhy to the Public! Stun gun and Taser Guns and personal protection products. Keep your loved ones at home safe!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga