FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 21 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bartfast, ZapEm, AndyLA, danacohenn, ksusanc
22906 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Dobbersky 10
AndyLA 5
cxt 3
futsaowingchun 3
ergees 2
August
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
New Topics
2013 World Championship Rio: The Gallery (HD)
by ergees
Yesterday at 05:22 AM
Chi Sao demonstration
by futsaowingchun
08/14/14 10:57 PM
Decent Fight channel
by FrankyFruits
08/07/14 09:19 PM
2014 European Championships Cadets Athens: Videos
by ergees
08/07/14 10:00 AM
Life goes on....
by Dobbersky
08/07/14 05:59 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
Applied center line theory
by futsaowingchun
07/28/14 08:55 AM
centerline concepts
by futsaowingchun
07/14/14 10:49 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:14 AM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Recent Posts
2013 World Championship Rio: The Gallery (HD)
by ergees
Yesterday at 05:22 AM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by VDJ
08/15/14 05:46 PM
Chi Sao demonstration
by futsaowingchun
08/14/14 10:57 PM
The Karate punch
by Dobbersky
08/12/14 05:14 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by Dobbersky
08/11/14 05:03 AM
Decent Fight channel
by FrankyFruits
08/07/14 09:19 PM
2014 European Championships Cadets Athens: Videos
by ergees
08/07/14 10:00 AM
Life goes on....
by Dobbersky
08/07/14 05:59 AM
A post for those who might become martial artists.
by AndyLA
08/06/14 07:25 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
Forum Stats
22906 Members
36 Forums
35570 Topics
432472 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 3 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#243421 - 05/03/06 03:30 PM Re: Anyone practice Shorin ryu? [Re: Ed_Morris]
Sensei Paul Hart Offline
Banned Member

Loc: Lehigh Acres, Florida
I am down like 1,000,000 Budo demerits, bummer. I understand and bow to your Supreme post your Edness, rei, rei. Please tell Supreme Grand Master Soke Govenor President king Cambell I am truly sorry for doubting his ability in his system of ...ummm, dress, no, martial arts.
When can I get my Budo points back?

#243422 - 05/03/06 05:32 PM Re: Anyone practice Shorin ryu? [Re: Renshig]
Neko456 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Midwest City, Ok, USA
Reshig I think its somes hard to see the world (truth) when you look only from inside out (Your Shorin-kwondo system), many of these guys have probably been in the training in the martial art for as long as you are old. Or prpbably for as long as your MASTER has. We have seen Shorin-ryu, trained in it and with them and some can spot the difference within each version of Shorin-ryu others can tell the difference in Tes. My point is that obviously there something different in the Shorin-ryu that practiced there and in other parts of California and the world. If not why didn't he just keep the name Shorin-ryu?

Shorin-ryu has a favor and if it doesn't taste like Shorin-ryu it could be Gumbo nothing wrong with Gumbo, it has a good Rue but its not a traditional Ryu.

Train and be happy in your system, be proud and speak and stand up for it. But give others a chance to express themselves they may have something to add or open the door so you can escape. There is nothing wrong with American Karate but it is Gumbo most the time, doesn't mean it ain't kick a$$, its just not a true art of the Ryu kyu Island. It may be a variation. Be proud and keep training young warrior.

#243423 - 05/03/06 07:39 PM Re: Anyone practice Shorin ryu? [Re: Renshig]
shoshinkan Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: UK
interesting stuff,

in my mind rank for what its worth, and titles only have value if they were -

a. earned
b. upheld correctly
c. not exploited
d. given by someone who is qualified/respected to do so

So it would be interesting to see your point of view on that in relation to Master Sid Campbell.

Perhaps once thats done then people would respect him for what he claims (and sells), until thats sorted it would seem unlikely at best that he is genuine in these things.

And that has absolutly nothing to do with his ability, im sure thats very good.

with respect,

www.shoshinkanuk.blogspot.com

#243424 - 05/03/06 09:21 PM Re: Anyone practice Shorin ryu? [Re: JohnL]
pepto_bismol Offline
infinite kudos

"Instead they worked out in a frozen chicken preparation building..."
aha, get em rocky!

and in my shorin ryu school they do spar, but I think it really does change from school to school, Bill Wallace's shorin ryu school didn't even kick above the waist, he had to learn his high kicks from watching tournaments.

#243425 - 05/04/06 04:18 AM Re: Anyone practice Shorin ryu? [Re: TeK9]
TeK9 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Northern California, USA
Relax everyone...Ed calm done

All Ren is doing is defending the credentials of his teacher/master. There is nothing wrong with that. Why are you people jumping on his back?

Sounds to me everyone is making some sort of sarcastic staement about this and that.

Ren I havn't checked out Master Tosh's studio yet, I walked in a couple of weeks ago just to look around. It's too bad I decided to take a wednesday night class, otherwise I would have stopped by to see black belt sparring. But this Business Communications class is taking up my time.

I'll e-mail you to find out more about your dojo. Not sure if I can join yet, I have to find a job and save some cash.
Vinci

#243426 - 05/04/06 04:28 AM Re: Anyone practice Shorin ryu? [Re: Renshig]
TeK9 Offline
Professional Poster

Oh my bad.

Welcome to the forum Renshig. I know you havn't been a member for more than a few mintes, but trust me some of these people actually have insight into the arts and valuable sources of info.
Vinci

#243427 - 05/04/06 07:28 AM Re: Anyone practice Shorin ryu? [Re: TeK9]
Ed_Morris Offline
Professional Poster

thanks for being the voice of reason Tek...keep that up and they'll be asking you to be mod

sorry Ren. welcome and have fun.

on topic:
What makes Shorin ryu it's own flavor of 'Okinawan Karate'? Is it lineage, strategy, technique or training method? ... or something else?

#243428 - 05/04/06 12:31 PM Re: Anyone practice Shorin ryu? [Re: Ed_Morris]
Sensei Paul Hart Offline
Banned Member

Loc: Lehigh Acres, Florida
Yes, I agree. Welcome to the forum Ren, I hope you have an enjoyable stay. I was not questioning Mr. Cambells Martial Arts ability and I am sure you will recieve good instruction. Welcome as well to Shorin Ryu.

An aside note...Mr. Cambell has sent me a email asking me to call. I will do just that. I hope he tells me that the website wasn't from him, and the most anyone ever calls him is Sensei. I would respect that. I will keep you up to date.

#243429 - 05/05/06 11:43 AM Re: Anyone practice Shorin ryu? [Re: TeK9]
Ronin1966 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: East Coast, United States
Hello Tek9:

There are several books out there and quite available. And there are always new groups putting out their particular training manual, almost all available to the public.

In ease of finding what's out there:

Okinawan Karate 2nd Edition by Mark Bishop
Tales of the Okinawan Masters by Nagamine.
Karate-Do Foundations by Mark Moeller.
Shorinryu Q & A Book by Cummings & Scaglione <sp.?>
[Also a second book done by them.... ]
100 Year History of Shorinryu Karate by Frank Hargrove's.
Unante by John Sells.
Okinawa Karate by Kise Fuse

Scaglione & Cummings did two books on Shorinryu. Neither will be helpful for either generic reference purposes or learning more depthful detail about the art for what you're after. Both seemed to be "in-house" books for testing purposes that they got published. Lets see Fuse did a curious book in English as to his experiences in his particular flavor/experiences of Shorin. Again not that helpful... again IMHV-fwiw. Interesting but not... meaty in the Carol Wiley or Mark Bishop method of information presented.

The only Shorin book per se that might do the trick somewhat would be either the Bishop book, of the Nagamine Tales book. The Sells book is tremendous but it is pricy and was difficult to get, but now with the internet easy.

Of all of them exclusively doing Shorinryu, I'd locate the Moeller book. Available and on the shelf of several of the big chain stores.

More if you ask,
Jeff

#243430 - 05/05/06 12:23 PM Re: Anyone practice Shorin ryu? [Re: Ronin1966]
TeK9 Offline
Professional Poster

Price is no problem my friend I live doen the street no less than a mile from a new barnes and nobles, I've read nerly 50 free books there, I've logged in so many hours I practicaly know the entire staff.

I have seen the Okinawen 2nd edition, however, usually when I pick up a book that says karate or okinawen karate it's usually a compilation of articles from different masters, detailing their experiences about a particular aspect of the martial art, not specifically an art but a generalization of the arts from okinawa. This book by Bishop, I think I've seen it, it has grey cover I believe with black bold letters.

It's unfortunate that there are no titles called Kenpo, kempo, goju ryu, uechi ryu, shorin ect. The only real karate style that contains a title is Shotokan, or karate-do by: Funakoshi...samething. Then you have your tang soo do, jujitsu, bjj, TKD, tai chi, CHINA white crane books, kendo, stick fighting, arnis, coupe of Ninja books which never illustrate the techniques just the history of the ninja...as if these white authros were actually there in japan. Only Masaaki Hatsumi demonstrates techniques and he uses weapons never h2h.

And the San Francisco library doesn't have Jack $hi+ on MA...
Vinci

Page 3 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Moderator:  Ames, Cord, MattJ, Reiki, Ronin1966 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Fight Videos
Night club fight footage and street fights captured with the world's first bouncer spy cam

How to Matrix!
Learn ten times faster with new training method. Learn entire arts for as little as $10 per disk.

Self Defense
Stun guns, pepper spray, Mace and self defense products. Alarms for personal and home use.

TASER MC26C
Stop An Urban Gorilla: Get 2 FREE TASER M26C Replacement Air Cartridges With Each New TASER M26C!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga