FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 48 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
mohdnabeel, sunny, swordy, jerrybarry24, SenseiGregT
22915 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
futsaowingchun 3
Matakiant 3
AndyLA 3
GojuRyuboy13 1
log1call 1
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
New Topics
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
Today at 12:10 AM
Living a full life violence free...
by GojuRyuboy13
09/25/14 08:50 AM
Wing Chun-internal training
by futsaowingchun
09/23/14 09:01 PM
Martial News
by Matakiant
09/23/14 06:42 AM
STX Kickboxing Seminar
by Marcus Charles
09/09/14 06:57 PM
Biu Tzu- 1st section applications
by futsaowingchun
09/05/14 10:56 PM
2014 World Championships Chelyabinsk: The Gallery
by ergees
09/01/14 03:51 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
mindfullness meditation
by
01/06/09 11:27 AM
Recent Posts
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
Today at 12:10 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Victor Smith
09/28/14 07:11 PM
Living a full life violence free...
by GojuRyuboy13
09/25/14 08:50 AM
Wing Chun-internal training
by futsaowingchun
09/23/14 09:01 PM
Martial News
by Matakiant
09/23/14 06:42 AM
attacked from behind
by AndyLA
09/19/14 09:05 AM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
09/18/14 06:07 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by Zombie Zero
09/16/14 04:43 PM
Eugue Ryu
by kolslaw
09/12/14 03:35 PM
Biu Tzu- 1st section applications
by futsaowingchun
09/05/14 10:56 PM
Forum Stats
22915 Members
36 Forums
35579 Topics
432500 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#243401 - 04/06/06 01:40 AM Anyone practice Shorin ryu?
TeK9 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Northern California, USA
Hello, I have a question for anyone familiar with Shorin ryu style. Do they emphasize rapid hand speed?

I just recently discovered a Shorin Ryu school not far from my house. This school is taught by 9th degree Grand Master Dan Tosh, anyone ever heard of him?

Anyways, from the demo's I've seen regarding self defense, thier approach seems to be very similar to kenpo. Can anyone give me some more info? Thanks

-Tek
Vinci

#243402 - 04/06/06 02:30 AM Re: Anyone practice Shorin ryu? [Re: TeK9]
BrianS Offline
Higher rank than you
Professional Poster

Loc: Northwest Arkansas
"Dan Tosh,9th. dan Founder Shorin Kwoon Do Ryu, Brentwood,CA." according to the web.

I'm curious about his new style as well.

I visited a shorin ryu school near me several times,a coworker is a yondan there. They highly emphasized kata and weapons and they do not spar at all. I'm sure this is not the case with all shorin ryu schools though.

#243403 - 04/06/06 03:19 AM Re: Anyone practice Shorin ryu? [Re: BrianS]
TeK9 Offline
Professional Poster

According to his web site, Master Tosh teaches kata interpretaion. Did you check out his demos? I don't think they spar a lot in this school, because sparring is done inces a week on saturdays. I'm lookiong for a goju school but this shorin school seems to be decent. Unfortunetly I've never seen shorin in action, never even seen a book on it. I've seen goju done several documentories.
Vinci

#243404 - 04/06/06 05:04 AM Re: Anyone practice Shorin ryu? [Re: TeK9]
shoshinkan Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: UK
Bearing in mind that all dojo have differences, as do instructors. Shorin Ryu however should emphasise radpid, relaxed hand speed to effect multiple atemi (strikes), along with rapid footwork from my expierience.

I havent heard of the gentleman you mention though, perhaps find out what ryu he trained in and inder what group as a starting point, with respect the grade claimed would concern me personally - but not knowing him its not neccessarily all bad, he may just view grading/grades/title different to me.

www.shoshinkanuk.blogspot.com

#243405 - 04/06/06 05:18 AM Re: Anyone practice Shorin ryu? [Re: shoshinkan]
TeK9 Offline
Professional Poster

Okay now this is begginning to interest me, I've been wanting to take shaolin kenpo, and it looks like this style of okinawen karate could be a close similarity. Even better because this style comes from Okinawa, now I get to see what all the fuss is about with Okinawen styles.
Vinci

#243406 - 04/06/06 06:21 AM Re: Anyone practice Shorin ryu? [Re: TeK9]
shoshinkan Offline
Professional Poster

You would be fine Tek with any Okinawan karatedo, just check the dojos background and the instructors integrity.

I train Shorin Ryu, but Goju Ryu and the other Okinawan systems are all excellent IMO.

#243407 - 04/06/06 06:53 AM Re: Anyone practice Shorin ryu? [Re: shoshinkan]
TeK9 Offline
Professional Poster

Thanks for the advice, but I'm looking for someone who has knowledge in kata application. Since many okinawen practitioners claim the kata is like the encyclopedia for the art, I figure I should find an instructor who's read all the volumes.

I'e seen 3 styles of Okinawen styles, goju, uechi, and isshin rye. Uechi looks good but the teachers in my area have not captured my attention. The isshin ryu school in my area is mixture of various arts. Frankly I think the guy is just taking small training practices from various arts and having his students do them. Suffice to say the guy has not impressed me. Goju ryu I've only seen in documentories, but it looks very interesting.
Vinci

#243408 - 04/06/06 06:57 AM Re: Anyone practice Shorin ryu? [Re: TeK9]
shoshinkan Offline
Professional Poster

Your doing your homework Tek, well done to you mate.

But dont be to fussy, the benefit is in the training....... also as we stumble along things change and doors open.

If I were you I would look to get a grounding in something authentic, with good association backup.

Not so long ago 'systems' wernt as percieved nowdays, just karate - good or bad.

Yes application of kata is very usefull, interesting and important, but our basic trianing is just as important, its our foundation and should come first.

#243409 - 04/06/06 07:48 AM Re: Anyone practice Shorin ryu? [Re: TeK9]
Ed_Morris Offline
Professional Poster

sorry Tek, but http://www.homestead.com/shorinkwoondoryu/files/Instructors.html#anchor_12823
looks like something other than Okinawan or 'Shorin'. All Shorin should have a ryuha...matsubayashi,kobayashi, etc. looks like the instructors have up to brown-belt training in something similar to shobayashi.

I'll take a guess that what you'd be learning draws from a mish-mash of multiple arts. I'm not saying it's good or bad, but the warning signs are definitely there. self-made style based on incomplete training, world soke council certificates and rank, misinterpretation of Japanese terms (some are not even Japanese or Okinawan). The kata are suppossedly inherited by 'Musashi Miyagi' ..can't find reference to that master anywhere.

I'm not sure they have the correct patch displayed on their website. They have some training backgrounds of shobayashi and kobayashi, yet display a matsubayashi symbol.

they could very well teach some cool stuff, but I don't think this will give you an idea of what Okinawan styles or even what Shorin styles are about. All I'm saying is, if you have a bad experience with these guys, don't assume it would be the same for all 'Shorin' or 'Okinawan' Karate.

#243410 - 04/06/06 08:26 AM Re: Anyone practice Shorin ryu? [Re: TeK9]
JohnL Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: NY, NY, USA
Hi Tek

You say that the school is taught by Dan Tosh, however does he actually teach there. According to the link it's a guy called Renshi Lowe. I've heard of Dan Tosh and I believe he is senior in Shorin Ryu org. I don't know if he's split to do his own thing or not. I've never trained with the guy.

When you go to the school, have a look at the instructors who teach there every day. I don't care who the head honcho is if he never teaches there. I want to know what the guys are like who will be teaching me every time I train.

Lowes bio sets off some alarms.

He seems to have no formal training until 1991 (Unless you count the training he says he did with a guy whos name he can't remember).

He then gets his black belt in about 18 months.

5 years later he's awarded his 5th Dan.

The other instructors seem to have similar time frames for their grades.

It may be that they're great guys. Go in and train with them for a month or two and see what they're like.

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Moderator:  Ames, Cord, MattJ, Reiki, Ronin1966 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Fight Videos
Night club fight footage and street fights captured with the world's first bouncer spy cam

How to Matrix!
Learn ten times faster with new training method. Learn entire arts for as little as $10 per disk.

Self Defense
Stun guns, pepper spray, Mace and self defense products. Alarms for personal and home use.

TASER MC26C
Stop An Urban Gorilla: Get 2 FREE TASER M26C Replacement Air Cartridges With Each New TASER M26C!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga