FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 21 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
TomRosenberg, jessylin, play, Keith_G, LeroyCFischer
22937 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
jwwmantis 2
LeroyCFischer 1
futsaowingchun 1
Zombie Zero 1
Beefcake 1
December
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
New Topics
Freeing Hand-Wing Chun's last movements
by futsaowingchun
12/17/14 09:40 PM
2015 Master Yang Jwing-Ming Seminar
by jwwmantis
12/05/14 10:36 PM
The Beginners Guide To Stretching
by
12/27/06 11:43 AM
Your true goal
by
03/03/06 07:16 AM
Recent Posts
Freeing Hand-Wing Chun's last movements
by futsaowingchun
12/17/14 09:40 PM
Your true goal
by Beefcake
12/11/14 02:44 AM
The Beginners Guide To Stretching
by LeroyCFischer
12/04/14 02:07 AM
Forum Stats
22937 Members
36 Forums
35591 Topics
432526 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Topic Options
#242532 - 04/02/06 12:03 AM Back Hand illegal in boxing?
pepto_bismol Offline
infinite kudos

I am sure this question has been answered somewhere on the internet, but it is hard to find because there seem to be differant rules for everything all over the web.

Here it goes

I was sparring (boxing, not karate or wing chun) yesterday and I kept getting the opponet with back hands untill he said that a back hand is an illegal move in the ring. He said that's why olympic fighters have white spots on front of their gloves. Is this true or is he bsing me?

I don't see why a back hand would be illegal, it flows really good with other combinations, it seems kind of silly to give someone a penalty for a back hand.

But I have not yet been in the ring so I wouldn't know and was hoping one of you experienced guys out there could tell me.

And if this question has been asked before then I give you permission to set my house on fire

#242533 - 04/02/06 10:24 AM Re: Back Hand illegal in boxing? [Re: pepto_bismol]
Prizewriter Offline
Professional Poster

Hey there. Any other boxing questions, you should also try the boxing forum as will as the tourney/comp forum

He is right, it is illegal. There are white areas at the on Oly boxing gloves. Your punches should connect with the white area of the glove. Gloves are coloured white around the knuckle area.

Here follows the actual rules for scoring punches, as laid down by the AIBA, governing body of amateur boxing:

RULE XVII: Awarding of Points
A. Directives. In awarding points, the following directives shall be
observed:
1. Concerning Hits.
a. Scoring Hits. During each round, a Judge shall assess the
respective scores of each boxer according to the number of hits
obtained by each. Each hit to have scoring value must, without
being blocked or guarded, land directly with the knuckle part
of the closed glove of either hand on any part of the front or
sides of the head or body above the belt. Swings landing as
above described are scoring hits. The value of hits scored in a
rally of infighting shall be assessed at the end of such rally
and shall be credited to the boxer who has had the better of
the exchanges according to the degree of his superiority.
b. Non-scoring Hits. Non-scoring hits are hits which are struck by
a boxer:
1) while infringing any of the Rules, or
2) with the side, the back, the inside of the glove or with the
open glove or any part other than the knuckle part of the
closed glove, or
3) which land on the arms, or
4) which merely connect, without the weight of the body or
shoulder.

Boxing gloves are designed to protect your knuckles, as this his the area you hit with. They offer little protection for the back of your hand.

Queensbury rules were designed so that gentlemen could engage in a fair fight. Backhands were (and still are) viewed as a cheap shot. If you allow backhands, where does it stop? Someone else thinks its ok to punch to the groin, someone else thinks its ok to headbutt, someone else thinks its ok to use your elbows... and so it goes. Boxing, if nothing else, is a sport. It needs rules. And as sports go, its quite dangerous. Hence the elimination of the aforementioned cheap shots. It is for the protection of the fighters.

#242534 - 04/02/06 12:46 PM Re: Back Hand illegal in boxing? [Re: pepto_bismol]
pepto_bismol Offline
infinite kudos

Back hands are considered cheap shots?

wonder why...

#242535 - 04/02/06 01:31 PM Re: Back Hand illegal in boxing? [Re: pepto_bismol]
Prizewriter Offline
Professional Poster

As to that, I cannot answer, but I read an article about "gentlemanly conduct in the ring", which related to the formation of the Queensbury rules some time ago. Backhanding was rasied in it.

From a technical perpesctive, they may seem to flow well in your combinations, but from a defensive point of view in boxing, they are a poor choice.

Hooks will land on the target or miss, and then the hand has a short journey back to the guard position, that is in a more or less straight line (depending on were and if the hook landed).

With a backhand, if you miss, your hand can dangle out in mid air, and leave you exposed. Whereas a hook ends inside, a back hand ends outside, and the journey to guard position can be longer, if only for a second. If backhanding with the lead hand and you miss, your momentum can leave you more square on. It is not the best punch to throw from a defensive point of view. It can leave you vunerable. And even if you do hit, you can injure yourself, as most gloves don't offer much backhand protection.

At the end of the day though, we can talk about this until the cows come home, but it won't change the rules of boxing. Rules is rules, as they say. Backhands are illegal in boxing. I do believe though, you are perfectly entitled to contact the AIBA about this. But they have a team of full time medical professionals and safety officers working for them, so if they have outlawed it, they must have good reason for it.

#242536 - 04/02/06 10:02 PM Re: Back Hand illegal in boxing? [Re: Prizewriter]
pepto_bismol Offline
infinite kudos

Quote:

As to that, I cannot answer, but I read an article about "gentlemanly conduct in the ring", which related to the formation of the Queensbury rules some time ago. Backhanding was rasied in it.

From a technical perpesctive, they may seem to flow well in your combinations, but from a defensive point of view in boxing, they are a poor choice.

Hooks will land on the target or miss, and then the hand has a short journey back to the guard position, that is in a more or less straight line (depending on were and if the hook landed).

With a backhand, if you miss, your hand can dangle out in mid air, and leave you exposed. Whereas a hook ends inside, a back hand ends outside, and the journey to guard position can be longer, if only for a second. If backhanding with the lead hand and you miss, your momentum can leave you more square on. It is not the best punch to throw from a defensive point of view. It can leave you vunerable. And even if you do hit, you can injure yourself, as most gloves don't offer much backhand protection.

At the end of the day though, we can talk about this until the cows come home, but it won't change the rules of boxing. Rules is rules, as they say. Backhands are illegal in boxing. I do believe though, you are perfectly entitled to contact the AIBA about this. But they have a team of full time medical professionals and safety officers working for them, so if they have outlawed it, they must have good reason for it.

yes your right, rules are rules. Still I think a hook punch to a back hand flows pretty good, and if the back hand misses you can always through a cross.

But I think since it is fist to cuffs and the back hand is not part of your fist...

I see clearly now.

#242537 - 04/04/06 10:59 AM Re: Back Hand illegal in boxing? [Re: pepto_bismol]
RazorFoot Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Seated at the computer, DUH
I like them too but you cant use them. For a large part of his career, Ali used a back knuckle instead of a jab. If you watch his jab, he flicks it from the back side actually using a short back knuckle instead of a traditional jab. It had a lot more power and he could actually knock people out with it. He also caught a lot of flack for it later on in his career.

#242538 - 04/04/06 01:29 PM Re: Back Hand illegal in boxing? [Re: RazorFoot]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Loc: York PA. USA
I think "Macho" Camacho used the odd backfist as well, also catching some flack for it.

Moderator:  Cord, MattJ, Reiki, Supremor, tkd_high_green 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Stun Guns
Variety of stun gun devices for your protection

Buy Pepper Spray
Worry about your family when you’re not around? Visit us today to protect everything you value.

Koryu.com
Accurate information on the ancient martial traditions of the Japanese samurai

C2 Taser
Protect yourself and loved ones from CRIME with the latest C2 Taser citizen model. Very effective.

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga