FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 49 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
ksusanc, kellypnik123, leyinn, Ron_Cooley, businns
22902 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Dobbersky 12
cxt 7
trevek 6
JKogas 5
futsaowingchun 2
July
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
New Topics
centerline concepts
by futsaowingchun
07/14/14 10:49 PM
language of syllabus
by trevek
07/11/14 03:36 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:14 AM
10 San Sik drills-Wing Chun's foundation
by futsaowingchun
06/30/14 11:20 AM
"Ip Man" and "Ip Man 2" the movies.
by TaekwonDoFan
06/30/14 11:02 AM
Iaido movements speed
by TooNice
04/14/14 01:47 PM
Anderson Silva - Leg Break
by Dobbersky
12/30/13 08:32 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
Gi or no Gi Grappling?
by Prizewriter
04/16/12 02:48 PM
MMA - A passing Fad
by Dobbersky
04/12/12 11:16 AM
Recent Posts
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by cxt
Yesterday at 11:35 AM
centerline concepts
by Dobbersky
07/18/14 06:14 AM
language of syllabus
by trevek
07/14/14 04:50 PM
Gi or no Gi Grappling?
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:38 AM
MMA - A passing Fad
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:35 AM
Anderson Silva - Leg Break
by Dobbersky
07/09/14 06:13 AM
Throwing
by JKogas
07/03/14 07:40 PM
10 San Sik drills-Wing Chun's foundation
by futsaowingchun
06/30/14 11:20 AM
"Ip Man" and "Ip Man 2" the movies.
by TaekwonDoFan
06/30/14 11:02 AM
Forget all that health stuff
by TaekwonDoFan
06/29/14 03:18 AM
Forum Stats
22902 Members
36 Forums
35563 Topics
432450 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#241835 - 03/31/06 01:52 PM Re: Help with identifying Goju Kata [Re: Ed_Morris]
BrianS Offline
Higher rank than you
Professional Poster

Loc: Northwest Arkansas
What's funny is my system of goju is a little off the beaten path.
When cxt saw me do seiunchin kata he said it was interesting because it looked just like the seiunchin bunkai that his school practices,but a bit of a different kata with the same name.

I remember my instructor referring to shiko-dachi as "sko dotch" and different things like that.
We only practice seiunchin,sanchin,tensho,and sanseru at our school,but we still call it goju.

My instructor knows all the goju kata and decided to drop the others for some unknown reason.

I'd like to see the videos of your katas yuushi.

#241836 - 03/31/06 02:52 PM Re: Help with identifying Goju Kata [Re: BrianS]
cxt Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: USA
Brian S

A number of the Japanese/Okinawan folks we trained always seemed to kinda "shorten" the words--"sko dach" rather than the "shiko-dachi" so that sounds pretty normal to me.

I know of schools that don't do the gekishi or the tensho forms at all.

I think its just a matter of personal preference.

As go the stories Miyagi taught kata based upon a given students body type and personality.

(a really big strong guy might be taught a kata to play to his strengths or perhaps one that could help him work on getting faster and more agile)

#241837 - 03/31/06 03:35 PM Re: Help with identifying Goju Kata [Re: Ed_Morris]
Yuushi Offline

Loc: New Hampshire
CTX- I gave all that info in my second post. My teachers teacher was a Mr. Trombly of Ft. Worth, his teacher was Master Toguchi. The other kata I study are: Sanchin, Gekisai Ichi-Ni, Saifa, and Seiyunchin.

From what I've gathered Mr. Trombly was not a person you asked a question to, if you did you would be scorned, and so his black belts only knew what they were told.

Thats a very good point there Ed Morris, I believe that it was Mr. Trombly that might have only studied partly in Goju and then added other kata that were not Goju kata.

Thanks everybody, I wont be on the next 2 days so I hope you all have a good weekend. Later.

#241838 - 03/31/06 04:02 PM Re: Help with identifying Goju Kata [Re: Yuushi]
cxt Offline
Professional Poster

Yuunshi

Than that answers at least part of the question.

We know that they are not of Toguchi's teaching (at elast under those names)
So by default they must have been thu Trombly or your teacher himself.

Which kinda narrows it down.

Do you have any idea where nd with whom Mr. Trombly studied?

#241839 - 04/03/06 07:54 AM Re: Help with identifying Goju Kata [Re: cxt]
Yuushi Offline

Ill have to ask my teacher where Mr. Trombly studied. My teacher didn't change any of the kata so it must have been Mr. Trombly.

#241840 - 04/06/06 02:26 PM Re: Help with identifying Goju Kata [Re: Yuushi]
Neko456 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Midwest City, Ok, USA
So why not ask your Instructor where these kata origin are from and if they are renamed version of Sepia, Shisoshin or Seisan,.... If they are american based katas the answer can only be found in your instructors sensei.

Unless you can put up some videos and from there a synopois can be formed. Maybe?

#435511 - 10/15/12 12:46 PM Re: Help with identifying Goju Kata [Re: Yuushi]
Mechadius Offline
Stranger

Any chance that yuushi or anyone else that is apart of the jay trombley lineage still active on this site?

#435515 - 10/17/12 09:47 AM Re: Help with identifying Goju Kata [Re: Mechadius]
cxt Offline
Professional Poster

Mechadius

Not sure......but I have noticed when people get answers to questions that don't conform to their expectations they don't tend to stick around.

You think it would be the reverse.

On strictly personal note. It has always been kinda annoying to me when people treat this or any forum as a sort of "advanced google" where they pop in when they want/need a question answered and then vanish.
People take the time to read your requests and then take the time to give the best answers they can to help you IMO deserve better than being treated as if they were at the whim/beck-and-call of anyone that can work a keyboard.

This site has always had a great group of highly experienced people that are willing to share what they know---I'd be more specific but:

A-The list would be too long

B-I am honestly concerned I would forget somebody---yes there are, IMO , that many quality posters.

C-I would like to add a personal and long overdue "Thank you" to the all the people that take time out of their busy lives to give their perspective, experience and knowloge. I have not always agreed with everyone but I have always been thankful for their POV and have always been more than a little impressed at their willingness to share often hard-won information with anyone that asks questions, for no personal gain and sometimes considerable drain on their time......even extending their help to cranky and combative me. wink

I don't think people from the "internet" age fully understand what a rare thing it is to be able to sit in your house or text from your cell phone questions and get people from all over helping you with answers. Case in point is this thread itself---not that long ago he would have been stuck......now he can get answers......and I'm not sure that he really understands how lucky he is to even be in a situation where he can ask such questions.

I think that if people are going to get their questions answered the least they could do is stick around a while and try and give other people the same help they got.

Just an opinion and worth every cent you paid for it. wink

Edited by cxt (10/17/12 10:15 AM)

#435569 - 11/27/12 10:49 PM Re: Help with identifying Goju Kata [Re: cxt]
Yuushi Offline

CXT & Mechadius

I apologize for being part of that crowd that comes on for a short time and then abandons the forum. It is a truly valuable resource that many people underestimate. At the time I was somewhat shocked and turned off my the.. what I'll call "Trombly Troller". Thank you very much for the time you had put into my post in the past.

Mechadius, I think I know who you are, but if not I'd be glad to talk if you had some questions.

EDIT: The "Trombley Troller" I spoke of sent me various harsh messages that cut down and berated my sensei. I spoke with him back and forth several times but it wan't quite the "productive" conversation I would have enjoyed.

Edited by Yuushi (11/27/12 10:59 PM)

#435572 - 11/28/12 09:52 AM Re: Help with identifying Goju Kata [Re: Yuushi]
cxt Offline
Professional Poster

Yuushi

You have my sincere apology for any offense I might have given you over my post. I can assure you that the first set of comments was NOT directed at you.

The fact you came back to comment is proof that you are not a "drive by" poster.

I hope you can help others and add your knowlege/experience to the forums.

As I mentioned I can be "cranky"--which is the most polite word I can use on-line.

Again, sorry---I'll only ask that you try and see things from my perspective/POV.

Edited by cxt (11/28/12 09:55 AM)

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Ames, Cord, MattJ, Reiki, Ronin1966 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Fight Videos
Night club fight footage and street fights captured with the world's first bouncer spy cam

How to Matrix!
Learn ten times faster with new training method. Learn entire arts for as little as $10 per disk.

Self Defense
Stun guns, pepper spray, Mace and self defense products. Alarms for personal and home use.

TASER MC26C
Stop An Urban Gorilla: Get 2 FREE TASER M26C Replacement Air Cartridges With Each New TASER M26C!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga