FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 43 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
BUJU, Pilsungkarate, ALF, old1, Leonar
22928 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
futsaowingchun 3
Ronin1966 3
ergees 2
Victor Smith 1
GojuRyuboy13 1
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
New Topics
Judo 2014 World Championships Juniors: The Gallery
by ergees
Yesterday at 04:53 PM
The Classic Pak Sao drill
by futsaowingchun
10/20/14 10:32 AM
wing chun kicks and knees
by futsaowingchun
10/09/14 12:55 AM
2014 European Championships Juniors: the Gallery
by ergees
10/05/14 10:56 AM
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
09/30/14 12:10 AM
Living a full life violence free...
by GojuRyuboy13
09/25/14 08:50 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Leo's Judo Journal
by Leo_E_49
01/24/12 02:58 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by
05/13/07 08:02 AM
Recent Posts
Judo 2014 World Championships Juniors: The Gallery
by ergees
Yesterday at 04:53 PM
Living a full life violence free...
by GojuRyuboy13
10/22/14 07:20 AM
The Classic Pak Sao drill
by futsaowingchun
10/20/14 10:32 AM
Leo's Judo Journal
by swordy
10/11/14 09:21 AM
The Karate punch
by Ronin1966
10/09/14 03:16 PM
wing chun kicks and knees
by futsaowingchun
10/09/14 12:55 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Ronin1966
10/08/14 09:22 PM
2014 European Championships Juniors: the Gallery
by ergees
10/05/14 10:56 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by AndyLA
10/04/14 10:20 AM
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
09/30/14 12:10 AM
Forum Stats
22928 Members
36 Forums
35583 Topics
432511 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#240683 - 03/23/06 03:43 AM whats the difference between kendo and fencing
maxduan Offline
Stranger

I'm a newbie in martial art,especially swords,can any one point out the differences between them,advantages and drawbacks

#240684 - 03/23/06 10:37 AM Re: whats the difference between kendo and fencing [Re: maxduan]
Charles Mahan Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Denton, Tx, USA
They are very superficially similar, and very different at the same time. They both contain two man sparring with designated target zones. The Fencing guys where a face mask to protect the face, but are mostly armorless otherwise. The kendo folks where somewhat more armor. The fencing guys tend to thrust a lot, the kendo guys do a lot more cutting.

What you are asking is a lot like comparing basketball to soccer. They have a little bit in common, like balls, nets players, a general goal of getting the ball in the net, but otherwise they are VERY different.

#240685 - 03/23/06 01:30 PM Re: whats the difference between kendo and fencing [Re: maxduan]
Benjamin1986 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Republic of Texas
Both of them are sport versions of sword arts. As such, you have advantages (lots of actual combat, which is sorely lacking in the more traditional arts) but also disadvantages (taking advantage of the rules).

It's my opinion that Kendo is the more traditional of the two, while fencing is a continuously evolving Olympic Sport which will get you more competition locally, nationally, and worldwide. Unfortunately, the electronic scoring equipment and flexible blades in fencing has made some interesting tactics over the years (You want to flick your wrist over his head to bend the blade almost double and hit him in the back? Why not?), but, as has happened many times in the past, standard bladework (with modifications) is coming back in effectiveness.

I you want, I could go more in depth on each, but you get the idea.

#240686 - 03/23/06 09:38 PM Re: whats the difference between kendo and fencing [Re: Benjamin1986]
maxduan Offline
Stranger

i would really want to know deeper

#240687 - 03/24/06 12:13 AM Re: whats the difference between kendo and fencing [Re: maxduan]
Charles Mahan Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Denton, Tx, USA
Then I'm afraid you are gonna need to do some research into each and come back with better questions. I don't know where to send you for fencing, but the http://www.kendo-world.com website is probably a good place to start for kendo.

#240688 - 03/24/06 10:58 AM Re: whats the difference between kendo and fencing [Re: Charles Mahan]
Benjamin1986 Offline
Enthusiast

The best way to learn about fencing is to go to a tournament and watch. If you go to the USFA's tournament site you can find what's going on in your area.

Where to start? This page can tell you essentially all the rules, so I'll go more into the training.

The standard way of learning to fence involves footwork alone for several months before they put a blade in your hand. It's a very unnatural position, essentially a crab-walk, but if done well, good footwork will make hitting you much harder and hitting them much easier. Unfortunately, a number of people don't have the attention span for this, and it is very difficult to teach a quarter of the class the basics while trying to drill bladework with the rest, so most fencing schools have started introducing the blade very early. The only people I know that do that anymore are parents (start the kid at 6, get him to the Olympics by 30) and universities. Universities have the advantage of the semseter system to teach beginners essentially one group at a time for an extended period.

Now about bouts, things are fast, too fast. Sometimes you will blink and miss seeing who hit whom. Therefore, the best bladework is just large enough to beat your opponent, so no slashing, no windups, just reach out and poke someone (which also happens to be my name for a style used by several epeeists). Therefore, it can be boring to watch, but heartpounding to play. As you get better, you begin to find that nothing you do can possibly get through your opponent's defense, so tactics give way to strategy, making them mess up in a game of physical chess. I enjoy it very much, and I think you will too.

The USFA also will direct you to schools in your area.

I hope that's enough.

Edited by Benjamin1986 (03/24/06 11:00 AM)

#240689 - 03/24/06 11:44 AM Re: whats the difference between kendo and fencing [Re: Benjamin1986]
iaibear Offline
Veteran

Loc: upstate New York
<< It's a very unnatural position, essentially a crab-walk, but if done well, good footwork will make hitting you much harder and hitting them much easier. >>
Thank you for reminding me of that. I fenced foil in highschool and was accused of hiding behind my blade. (OK So I was thin.) The Kendo I have seen was done in a similar right-foot-lead left-foot-back fashion.

#240690 - 03/26/06 03:30 PM Armor in Fencing & Kendo [Re: Charles Mahan]
Armed_Man_Piker Offline

Loc: East Coast U.S.A.
Quote:

The Fencing guys where a face mask to protect the face, but are mostly armorless otherwise. The kendo folks where somewhat more armor.

It should be pointed out that the jackets worn by fencers are actually made with ballistic cloth of various materials (heavy canvas, nylon, & kevlar) that gives a specific amount of penetration protection (measured in newtons). The reason for this is that swords do break in fencing (repeated beats and parries will eventually ruin the temper of any blade, though it usually takes a very long time for this to happen). With a broken blade, a fencer suddenly has a real sword in his hands, and that can be lethal. Fencers have been killed in practice and competition because of this. The masks of today are also of a heavier wire mesh than they used to be.

So, in the final analysis, fencing is actually the only existing established combat sport or martial art which involves bouting with actual steel weapons (as opposed to mock swords made of wood, bamboo, or rattan). The lack of rigid armor is therefore somewhat deceiving.

And it's interesting to note that a 3-weapon fencing mask actually gives considerably more impact protection to the top and sides of the head than a kendo mask does (the fencing mask has a rigid frame of steel bars and wire, whereas the sides and top of a kendo mask are merely heavy cloth).

#240691 - 03/26/06 10:19 PM Re: Armor in Fencing & Kendo [Re: Armed_Man_Piker]
Benjamin1986 Offline
Enthusiast

Don't underestimate two layers of heavy canvas or nylon (I heard the FIE stopped suggesting kevlar as it didn't have as much tear resistence as they liked) and two layers of slip-nylon on your side (under the jacket). I couldn't cut that stuff with my pocketknife (my Angelsword knife, yes, my Swiss army, no chance).

Also, while we're on the subject. Wear a cup to fencing. I've seen several guys actually on their knees after hits to the crotch, and one of them was even wearing a cup (did I forget to mention that the girls got points for hitting them there?).

#240692 - 03/27/06 11:44 AM Re: whats the difference between kendo and fencing [Re: maxduan]
cxt Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: USA
Max

"I would really like to know deeper"

What exactly "deeper" are you looking for?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Charles Mahan, Cord, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Fight Videos
Night club fight footage and street fights captured with the world's first bouncer spy cam

How to Matrix!
Learn ten times faster with new training method. Learn entire arts for as little as $10 per disk.

Self Defense
Stun guns, pepper spray, Mace and self defense products. Alarms for personal and home use.

TASER MC26C
Stop An Urban Gorilla: Get 2 FREE TASER M26C Replacement Air Cartridges With Each New TASER M26C!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga