FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 40 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SenseiGregT, sagat, JFawkes, pluckysaga39, sgtdemeo
22911 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
AndyLA 5
Dobbersky 5
Ed_Morris 4
futsaowingchun 3
ergees 3
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
New Topics
2014 World Championships Chelyabinsk: The Gallery
by ergees
Today at 03:51 AM
Biu Tzu- Snake hand strike
by futsaowingchun
08/27/14 09:02 PM
Chum Kiu 2nd section applications
by futsaowingchun
08/20/14 09:54 PM
2013 World Championship Rio: The Gallery (HD)
by ergees
08/19/14 05:22 AM
Chi Sao demonstration
by futsaowingchun
08/14/14 10:57 PM
Decent Fight channel
by FrankyFruits
08/07/14 09:19 PM
2014 European Championships Cadets Athens: Videos
by ergees
08/07/14 10:00 AM
Life goes on....
by Dobbersky
08/07/14 05:59 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:14 AM
Recent Posts
2014 World Championships Chelyabinsk: The Gallery
by ergees
Today at 03:51 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by Zombie Zero
08/29/14 10:50 PM
mindfullness meditation
by log1call
08/28/14 02:39 AM
Biu Tzu- Snake hand strike
by futsaowingchun
08/27/14 09:02 PM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Ed_Morris
08/26/14 09:58 PM
The Karate punch
by Ed_Morris
08/26/14 09:27 PM
Chum Kiu 2nd section applications
by futsaowingchun
08/20/14 09:54 PM
2013 World Championship Rio: The Gallery (HD)
by ergees
08/19/14 05:22 AM
attacked from behind
by AndyLA
08/16/14 04:59 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by VDJ
08/15/14 05:46 PM
Forum Stats
22911 Members
36 Forums
35573 Topics
432484 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#240296 - 03/22/06 02:40 PM Re: MattJ's workout routine(s) [Re: Cord]
Dereck Offline
Prolific

Loc: Great White North
Quote:

Quoted by Tim:
Less reps more weight might work, or you could just try and increase the weight. Your workout reminds me of the Psycho HIT program I saw floating around a few months ago. It looks like good stuff.

Hey Tim, I did this program and have it on-line for anybody that wants it. Yes it is intense and for me it worked beyond all my beliefs for my first try at it back in 2002. It increased my lifts substantially as well developed my body bigger. In months my 1 rep max on bench went up over 32 lbs. My arms increased from 17.25" to 18" at rest. I went from 195 lbs to 207 lbs and I am only 5' 8.25" tall. The HIT program does develop strength, obviously, but because it goes to fatigue and recommends for advanced lifters to work out only once every 4 to 6 days with reps from 6-8 reps I see this more as a Body Building program. Though I see it as a Body Building program, the list of people and NHL, NFL, plus other sport teams that use this program, it obviously can be adapted for strength.

I did try it a second time as well but with not as much success. I don't think I worked hard enough at it and there were too many things going on in my life that I think added to the less success. Nice having a log book where you can look back and see these things and can make educated guesses to why things worked and why they didn't.

Quote:

Quoted by Matt:
Any ideas on how to make my "1 set" workouts more intense? I am currently lifting at about 65-75%(guessing) of my max for 6-10 reps, depending on how I feel. Less reps, more weight? Keep it the same? More cheesecake?

It really depends what you are looking for. The 1 rep works for some people but others needs a little bit more. Possible you may want to do 2 or 3 reps. If not then you may want to make it more intense like the HIT program and work towards fatigue. They suggest the following:

Quote:

Information provided by HIT:

The GENERAL recommendations for number of sets/workout are as follows:

Beginning level: 12-15 sets
Intermediate level: 8-12 sets
Advanced level: 6-8 sets

Of course you may require more or most likely can benefit from LESS, but this is a good general outline.
As for frequency of training general recommendations are as follows:

Beginning level = 3 times per week (full body)
Intermediate level = 2 times per week in a 5-7 day period (full body)
Advanced level = 1 time per week in a 4-6 day period (full body)

I know for myself when doing this type of program that after I finished my set to fatigue with good technique then after putting down the bar I would immediately pick it up and see how many or how much more I could do until I couldn't budge the bar at all. Then I would record it as 6 reps +1,+2

Also diminish the amount of time between sets. This type of program suggest 1 to 3 minutes. When I was working like mad man sometimes I would go to the next exercise immediately or go in 1 to 1.5 minutes. I tell you, your heart rate is up and it almost feels like you are doing a heavy cardio workout.

Just some ideas.

#240297 - 04/04/06 01:40 PM Re: MattJ's workout routine(s) [Re: MattJ]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Loc: York PA. USA
UPDATE -

I varied my Monday/Wednesday workout a bit today (yes, I know it's Tuesday, but I'm on vacation this week, so I can do whatever I want )

Same basic routine, but I dropped all the 1 minute jump-rope interludes, and did all the weight excercises to failure. (normally I do 6-10 depending on how I feel)

While I don't know if I could stand to do that 2x a week, I think that doing that type of workout could be a great variation once or twice a month. I followed it with 3x3 minutes on the bag, but I was pretty much done after the the 1st minute of the last round.

I was pretty light headed going upstairs to finish the Pilates cool-down, and my arms are a bit shaky as I type this. It was a good workout, and my arms are so pumped right now, I'm tempted to propose to myself.

#240298 - 04/04/06 03:00 PM Re: MattJ's workout routine(s) [Re: MattJ]
Cord Offline
Prolific

Loc: Cambridge UK.
Good work MJ. Lifting or fighting, there is always a healthy level of masochism that comes out in the best of us. Nausea is your friend

#240299 - 04/04/06 03:06 PM Re: MattJ's workout routine(s) [Re: MattJ]
Dereck Offline
Prolific

Matt you are the man ... or bomb as you put it. Good work.

#240300 - 04/09/06 01:09 AM Re: MattJ's workout routine(s) [Re: MattJ]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Tried a totally different variation today. Kind of sore today, so I did not want to overdo it on the shoulders. So, I walked up the stairs from my basement to the top floor of my house and back down, twice (being one set), carrying 75lbs (barbell) for 5 sets, then 50lbs (one 25lb plate in each hand) for 5 sets as my forearms wussed out.

It was a good workout, I was sweating tremendously by the end. I may try adding jump rope intervals between the sets next time for more of a challenge, although this was a good one by itself.

#240301 - 04/09/06 05:05 AM Re: MattJ's workout routine(s) [Re: MattJ]
Dereck Offline
Prolific

Okay Matt, are you trying to take a page from Cord's books? Building up the grip and the legs plus keeping your heart rate up for a type of cardio workout. Just don't over do things Matt ... good job. I will leave this type of stuff for you and Cord to do.

#240302 - 08/14/06 09:14 PM Re: MattJ's workout routine(s) [Re: Dereck]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Following Cord's "DIY" workouts, I have been doing a little workout at my workplace, usually during the last few hours when it has slowed down.

On the hour, I alternate pull-ups done on a metal shelving frame, and dips done on a pair of closely spaced metal cabinets. Usually 10-15 reps each, but may be less if my shoulders are acting up. On the half hour, I run 5 sets of steps, using the 10-step staircase to the upper level of my department (up and down for 20 steps being 1 set).

The goal is 2 sets each of pullups and dips, and 500 steps total before I sit on my ass for the 45 minute ride home. I do have to be careful with the pullups and dips, as I have had massive problems with my shoulders and elbows from overdoing it, but so far, so good. I try to do this 3 times a week.

#240303 - 08/14/06 09:27 PM Re: MattJ's workout routine(s) [Re: MattJ]
JoelM Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Georgia, USA
Good job, Matt!

Any reason for the arm problems, or are you just ?

#240304 - 08/14/06 09:43 PM Re: MattJ's workout routine(s) [Re: JoelM]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

He-man complex in my twenties.

Nearly every set of weightlifting I was trying to break a personal best or equal it. I first hurt myself doing power cleans using nearly my body weight for reps. Just couldn't stop myself. The old "one more set.....I can do one more set." WRONG. SNAP went my elbow and POP went my shoulder. Sharp pain that kept me from weight lifting for months - almost a year - from the pain.

About 2 years later, I did it again - same injury, although I was doing military press at the time.

The concept of "rest" was merely a fuzzy idea for me then. The only thing I ended up breaking was my tendons. VERY careful now.

Now I lift little girlie-weights, happily. And I let my self recover when I should. Wish I had known that before.

Don't overtrain, kids!

#240305 - 08/14/06 11:14 PM Re: MattJ's workout routine(s) [Re: MattJ]
JoelM Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Georgia, USA
A valuable lesson, Matt. A shame you had to learn it the hard way.

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Cord, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Stun Guns
Variety of stun gun devices for your protection

Buy Pepper Spray
Worry about your family when you’re not around? Visit us today to protect everything you value.

Koryu.com
Accurate information on the ancient martial traditions of the Japanese samurai

C2 Taser
Protect yourself and loved ones from CRIME with the latest C2 Taser citizen model. Very effective.

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga