FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 32 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
TomRosenberg, jessylin, play, Keith_G, LeroyCFischer
22937 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
jwwmantis 2
Beefcake 1
LeroyCFischer 1
futsaowingchun 1
Zombie Zero 1
December
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
New Topics
Freeing Hand-Wing Chun's last movements
by futsaowingchun
12/17/14 09:40 PM
2015 Master Yang Jwing-Ming Seminar
by jwwmantis
12/05/14 10:36 PM
The Beginners Guide To Stretching
by
12/27/06 11:43 AM
Your true goal
by
03/03/06 07:16 AM
Recent Posts
Freeing Hand-Wing Chun's last movements
by futsaowingchun
12/17/14 09:40 PM
Your true goal
by Beefcake
12/11/14 02:44 AM
The Beginners Guide To Stretching
by LeroyCFischer
12/04/14 02:07 AM
Forum Stats
22937 Members
36 Forums
35591 Topics
432526 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#240286 - 03/21/06 08:55 AM MattJ's workout routine(s)
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Loc: York PA. USA
Ok. I thought I had posted this before here, but I can't find it. Here is my current workout regimen for you all to pick apart:

MONDAY - (all weights medium)

6 minute jumprope warmup, with a 1 minute break, then:

1 set cable pulldowns
1 set squats
1 set machine flies
1 set standing barbell curls (I know, I know, it's for the ladies! )
1 set miltary press/squat on the downstroke
1 set power cleans
1 set barbell rows
1 set deadlift

1 minute jump rope in between each set with no rest, and 2 minute jump rope at the end. Cooldown with 8-10 minute Pilates routine for core strength and flexability.

TUESDAY -

Groundfighting class. I usually do some warmup before class which may be either 2 or 3x3 minute rounds of jump rope or 1 set (25) Hindu pushups followed by 1 set (50) Hindu squats or 3x3 minute rounds on the bag. Light vomiting after class.

WEDNESDAY -

same as Monday

THURSDAY -

5x3 minute (or 3x5 minute) rounds heavybag or bicycle (approx. 35 minutes of hilly-hell Pennsylvania) weather depending, followed by Pilates cooldown. Gross over eating at a restaurant before or after workout likely.

FRIDAY -

Not a damn thing.

SATURDAY/SUNDAY -

Whatever I feel like. Usually something, but not too much. Often bag work/jump rope/Pilates/bicycle (not all). Over eating in there somewhere as well.

#240287 - 03/21/06 03:54 PM Re: MattJ's workout routine(s) [Re: MattJ]
boxing_kid Offline

why all your exercises on monday are only 1 set?

#240288 - 03/21/06 05:59 PM Re: MattJ's workout routine(s) [Re: boxing_kid]
Cord Offline
Prolific

Loc: Cambridge UK.
Because 1 set training can be very effective if done with the right intensity.

I like it MJ. lots of intensity, lots of recovery. If I were gonna be uber picky I would say lose the cable pulldown and chin up instead, and lose the cable flye and do some dips/plyo push ups instead, but that is just me.
You should leave your bicep curls till after all your back work is complete though, doing bent over row with tired bi's limits your potential.

Good stuff

#240289 - 03/21/06 06:07 PM Re: MattJ's workout routine(s) [Re: Cord]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

I got this one out of an old issue of Ironman magazine years ago. I used it for several cycles with very good results, about 10 years ago before I mangled my shoulders.

Can be done for any excercise, although I only used it for deadlift and benchpress. Very time consuming in the middle weeks, but worth it. You need to know roughly what your 1 rep max in the excercise you wish to do, so you can figure what 80% of that is, to start the program with. They call for 2 workouts a week.

The program looks like this:

WEEK 1 -

2 sets of 6 reps at 80% of your max for the excercise

WEEK 2 -

3 sets of 6 reps at 80% of your max for the excercise

WEEK 3 -

4 sets of 6 reps at 80% of your max for the excercise

WEEK 4 -

5 sets of 6 reps at 80% of your max for the excercise

WEEK 5 -

6 sets of 6 reps at 80% of your max for the excercise

WEEK 6 -

5 sets of 5 reps at 85% of your max for the excercise

WEEK 7 -

4 sets of 4 reps at 90% of your max for the excercise

WEEK 8 -

3 sets of 3 reps at 95% of your max for the excercise

WEEK 9 -

2 sets of 2 reps at 100% of your max for the excercise

WEEK 10 -

1 set of 1 rep at 105% of your max for the excercise

They recommend taking off for a while to recover (1-3 weeks), then starting the next cycle, taking 80% of your (hopefully) new maximum.

Thanks Cord. I agree with you on the pulldowns/chinups, but my nearly 37 year old delts can no longer stand chinups without excruciating sharp pain. Tricep dips have also nearly gone the way of the dodo, for the same reason.

Pardon my ignorance, but I am unclear on plyo-pushups. Do you mean like hand-clap pushups? Can you give me an example of plyo-squats?

#240290 - 03/21/06 06:13 PM Re: MattJ's workout routine(s) [Re: MattJ]
Cord Offline
Prolific

Hand clap push ups is exactly right.

plyo squats- Brian was asking the same thing earlier today via PM- talk about great minds think alike

Seeing as how you are incorporating everything into a super circuit, try these little beauties.

Crouch down, a$$ to heels, do four stationary 'frog hops' then on the 5th spring all the way up into a high jump knee tuck: Thats one rep. Land and descend into your hops in one smooth movement and keep going for 10 full 'reps'.

you may want to put these in at the end

#240291 - 03/22/06 12:19 AM Re: MattJ's workout routine(s) [Re: boxing_kid]
Dereck Offline
Prolific

Loc: Great White North
Quote:

why all your exercises on monday are only 1 set?

1 rep work outs can be extremely effective. This buys into the philosophy of the HIT (Hight Intensity Training) workout that Robert E. Spector wrote on. This is one of the biggest things on the Cyperpump website. I have tried it twice in my 8+ years with the first time being so successful you would not believe how much size and strength was gained.

Matt, from looking at your workout and then our PM yesterday, it got me thinking. Today after work I pulled out my log book for the 8+ years and went to the days I was at my best and looked over the workouts and remember the little things I was doing. I came to the realization that I was working like a mad man with a mission ... a mission to get bigger and stronger ... and was also eating more. Just looking it over got me fired up and this night I "HIT" the weights with a full body workout ... though I did 2 reps per body part and I did the little things I remembered. Of course I have some physical hinderances but I was surprised at how well I performed. Then I just finished a protein shake and fired up the computer and thought I'd come and tell you this. Thanks Matt ... you inspired me.

As a note, I looked at your workout and was going to suggest doing the back exercise prior to the arms as well but I felt odd telling you this as you have been doing this far longer then I have. Thankfully Cord stepped up the the plate and mentioned it and I'm just here to concur with him ... not that he needs it as he's the man.

Thanks again Matt, your are the bomb. Tim Black ... look out baby ... I'm on my way.

#240292 - 03/22/06 04:06 AM Re: MattJ's workout routine(s) [Re: MattJ]
BrianS Offline
Higher rank than you
Professional Poster

Loc: Northwest Arkansas
Matt,
Keep up the good work. Follow Cord's advice!!

Let me fix some quotes for ya bra!

Quote:

Ok. I thought I had posted this before here, but I can't find it. Here is my current workout regimen for you all to pick apart:

Quote:

I am old,scenile, and have CRS syndrome. Where is my cheesecake?

Ha,oh and um....

Quote:

I agree with you on the pulldowns/chinups, but my nearly 37 year old delts can no longer stand chinups without excruciating sharp pain. Tricep dips have also nearly gone the way of the dodo, for the same reason.

Quote:

I have compiled a list of whiny sissy excuses,here are two of them.1)bla bla bla..something about my age yada yada yada..2)haw haw bleh some kind of exotic bird species fer fer fer hu hu..I'm in pain....Where is my cheesecake?

Good job!!

#240293 - 03/22/06 11:02 AM Re: MattJ's workout routine(s) [Re: BrianS]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Woof.....did it get cold in here? My dentures keep chattering. Thanks for the "help" with my quotes there, Brian.

Any ideas on how to make my "1 set" workouts more intense? I am currently lifting at about 65-75%(guessing) of my max for 6-10 reps, depending on how I feel. Less reps, more weight? Keep it the same? More cheesecake?

Thanks.

#240294 - 03/22/06 11:46 AM Re: MattJ's workout routine(s) [Re: MattJ]
TimBlack Offline
Exalted

Loc: UK, Brighton
Less reps more weight might work, or you could just try and increase the weight. Your workout reminds me of the Psycho HIT program I saw floating around a few months ago. It looks like good stuff.

Cord, about the plyo squats... Shouldn't plyo stuff be done when not fatigued, so that the nueromuscular system gets used to full extension etc.?

#240295 - 03/22/06 01:04 PM Re: MattJ's workout routine(s) [Re: TimBlack]
Cord Offline
Prolific

I think their is too much segregation of exercise these days. If you want to put in plyo work as part of your strength/power routine why not?

With squats you are driving up against increased resistance being held across you shoulders- this requires stronger muscular contraction to complete, engaging more muscle fibres.
In jumping squats, you are engaging maximum muscular drive with which to fight gravity by converting that force into airtime. Both are anaerobic forms of exercise designed to increase power output.

Plyometrics are hard on the joints,they also trigger strong stretch reflex, it makes sense to put them in a routine at a point when you are thoroughly warmed up.

So often we get questions on here like 'plyo or HIIT?' or 'bodyweight or free weights?' or whatever. i say 'why one or the other?' the body is capable of all these things, do them all in a balanced workout plan that addresses static strength, dynamic power, cardio endurance, flexibility and speed.

Why obssess over just one? We are martial artists and as such, need a good balanced level in all physical attributes to succeed.

If you want to be all about speed and power, take up track sprinting.

If you want to be the biggets guy on the block, take up bodybuilding.

If you want to have max aerobic capacity, take up triathlon training.

If you want to have a good all round ratio of all attributes, and to utilise that in an endeavour geared towards unarmed combat, then take up MA and train accordingly.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Cord, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Self Defense
Offering stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and other self defense products not available in stores.

Pepper Spray
Online distributor of self defense supplies like videos, stun guns, Tasers and more.

Spy Cameras
Surveillance, Hidden Cameras, Nanny Cams, Digital Recorders, Spy Equipment, Pocket DVR's and more

Stun Gun
Wholesale Directlhy to the Public! Stun gun and Taser Guns and personal protection products. Keep your loved ones at home safe!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga