FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 33 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
LeroyCFischer, JadeKing, Beefcake, WesJones, simonajones111
22933 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
futsaowingchun 2
charlie 2
William_Bent 1
simonajones111 1
Zombie Zero 1
November
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
New Topics
unrecognized kata
by William_Bent
11/19/14 07:05 PM
I gained a lot of month in the last few months
by simonajones111
11/19/14 04:54 AM
Siu Lin Tao-3rd section applications
by futsaowingchun
11/13/14 06:48 PM
Screen fighting course UK December 2014
by charlie
11/11/14 04:09 PM
Siu Lin Tao-1st section Pak Sao explanations
by futsaowingchun
11/09/14 10:30 PM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
MA style video library
by
03/22/06 03:18 PM
Recent Posts
unrecognized kata
by William_Bent
11/19/14 07:05 PM
I gained a lot of month in the last few months
by simonajones111
11/19/14 04:54 AM
Siu Lin Tao-3rd section applications
by futsaowingchun
11/13/14 06:48 PM
Screen fighting course UK December 2014
by charlie
11/11/14 04:09 PM
MA style video library
by charlie
11/11/14 04:05 PM
Siu Lin Tao-1st section Pak Sao explanations
by futsaowingchun
11/09/14 10:30 PM
Forum Stats
22933 Members
36 Forums
35589 Topics
432521 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#239042 - 03/16/06 01:50 PM answers to questions: why so harsh?
littlemikey26 Offline

Loc: michigan
im new to the forums but not new to martial arts, but im not talking about me, what i want to talk about is how people are responding to various questions here on the forums, for instance, someone will post about whether or not a particular sword, like cold steels warrior series for instance is functional or not, and the person will simply be told no it isnt, then tell the querent that he/she should seek professional instruction, now i have no problem with seeking qualified instructors, but when you say a weapon is or isnt functional you should enumerate the reasons why it isnt functional, such as do the menuki break or come loose? is the steel inferior? or is the overall assembly loose or the tsuka materials cheap or have some characteristic flaw? these forums are meant to be informational, but i have a feeling that perhaps many here are biased in some way, and feel that certain questions are beneath them, there tends to be an air of belittlement when someone who obviously is ignorant of certain things asks a question, so what should be done is to enlighten these people by at least taking the question seriously, do i think that swords are dangerous? yes, should the questioners receive proper instruction? yes, but do you have to belittle someone who asks a legitamate question? no, if you dont like the question you dont have to post. if you want to contribute to a free exchange of ideas, then do so if you dont agree thats fine too, just give a proper reason why an item is functional or not, not an answer like no it isnt, seek proper instruction from a qualified trainer, when advice is asked simply give a reason why or why not, being overly critical of someone for asking a question that you think is silly doesent help anyone, and the querent is going to do what they want anyway regardless, so give good opinions now and maybe you will get better questions next time, lets try to get along and help each other out ok?

#239043 - 03/16/06 05:34 PM Re: answers to questions: why so harsh? [Re: littlemikey26]
Cord Offline
Prolific

Loc: Cambridge UK.
You have to understand that some questions have been asked literaly hundreds of times. As a new member, you have at your fingertips, years of information. All the forums have a backed up complete history- thousands of posts by hundreds of people on thousands of topics.
In your example- questions on cold steel and paul chen swords come up every week, it would take very little effort to search back a little to find all the info you need.
If you dont take the effort to find out what people have already said, why should they make the effort to say the same thing all over again just to save you a few clicks of your mouse? Quid pro quo

The question on functionality is a yes or no scenario. A sword is either suitable for cutting or it isnt. With the extra info, do you propose to by a cold steel sword, dismantle it, keep the blade and remount it in specialy tailored fittings? or maybe keep the fittings and source a high grade blade and then combine them? Either way, it would be easier and cheaper to just get a good quality shinken suitable for tameshigiri.
Maybe a better question would have been 'I have 'x' amount of money, what brand/model of sword would you recommend for cutting practice?' Now thats a question that allows for proper expansive discussion.

Regarding the 'consult a qualified instructor' comment. That is the best advice you will ever get. Since Kill bill the world and his wife have wanted to take up Kenjutsu/Iaito, but to do so safely and properly takes more than the right kind of sword. A proper instructor will hand you a bokken to work with, then after a year or so a blunt iaito. only after much practice and experience will the terms 'functional' and 'live blade' even be mentioned in relation to your practice. Swords are dangerous in the wrong hands. Without training, no matter how sincere your intentions, you are 'the wrong hands'.

Hope this helps clarify

#239044 - 03/16/06 07:49 PM Re: answers to questions: why so harsh? [Re: littlemikey26]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Loc: York PA. USA
Cord is right on.

New folks just need to search the forums a bit before they post. Many of their questions have already been answered - several times. There are numerous stickies in several of the forums dedicated specifically to answering some of the most common questions.

If, after checking around and not finding the answer (or the question) that they are looking for, they are more than welcome to ask, and we will do our best to help out.

#239045 - 03/16/06 11:18 PM Re: answers to questions: why so harsh? [Re: MattJ]
littlemikey26 Offline

Loc: michigan
allright that seems reasonable, thank you for taking the time to answer me, i mjust didnt want to get yelled at if some one thought my question was a bad one.

#239046 - 03/18/06 03:29 PM Re: answers to questions: why so harsh? [Re: littlemikey26]
Reiki Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: MiddleEarth
If you take the time to research the old posts then you wont be "yelled at".

Some of us get really sick of the same questions being asked when they were answered many times in the past... especially if the person asking hasnt bothered to look first.

#239047 - 03/19/06 04:42 AM Re: answers to questions: why so harsh? [Re: Reiki]
laf7773 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Limbo
I just enjoy being a jerk.

#239048 - 03/25/06 08:32 AM Re: answers to questions: why so harsh? [Re: littlemikey26]
gregc618 Offline

Loc: Illinois, USA
I'm with you!! The harshness seems a little too much to me as well. Especially in a forum where its about information sharing. Fine if the admin doesn't want to answer then let him move to the side and those that are will might be able to help someone here.

Also, I realize that a new person could use the search engines, but how are all the new people suppose to know. I mean we assume that everyone is literate enough to know how this the forum software functions as soon as they log on here. That is certainly not the cause for most of us. Mostly we just grope around until we get the hang of using forums like this. I do understand the that it might be frustrating to answer the same question over and over, but I also belong to a airgun forum, and I must answer some of the same questions 3-4 times per week repeatedly for new users.

That is just the nature of how thing work in chat forums. At least it has been since 1982 when I started. It just comes with the territory is all

Have a good day!!

#239049 - 03/25/06 09:35 AM Re: answers to questions: why so harsh? [Re: gregc618]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Loc: York PA. USA
Quote by gregc618

Quote:

Also, I realize that a new person could use the search engines, but how are all the new people suppose to know. I mean we assume that everyone is literate enough to know how this the forum software functions as soon as they log on here. That is certainly not the cause for most of us. Mostly we just grope around until we get the hang of using forums like this.

Sorry. I did not make myself clear. When I said "search", I really meant "read". I agree that the search function is a bit obtuse. But just scanning through the forum posts and stickies will answer a lot of the most commmon ones.

That's all we ask.

#239050 - 03/25/06 02:00 PM Re: answers to questions: why so harsh? [Re: gregc618]
laf7773 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Limbo
Quote:

I'm with you!! The harshness seems a little too much to me as well. Especially in a forum where its about information sharing.

This forum IS about information sharing and the fact is the information HAS been shared several times in most cases. While it is true there are no stupid questions, there are a lot of lazy people with the same question. Why should the moderators and admin, or other members for that matter, take time out to answer the same questions over and over when there are other more pertinent issues they could be discussing. The staff here are here on a voluntary basis and shouldn't be chastised for not catering to the lack of effort of others. The fact that this thread was started tells me that this "attitude" has been expressed in more than a few threads. If this is the case then any new member would recognize the need to do a little research of their own prior to starting a thread. If they don't know this then that tells me they didn't even have the foresight to look at any threads. So why should anyone bend over backwards for them?

Quote:

Fine if the admin doesn't want to answer then let him move to the side and those that are will might be able to help someone here.

The fact that admin or any of the staff has responded to a post doesn't prevent anyone else from responding. If another member or staff member wants to respond to a question they are more than welcome. Unless of course the thread has been locked.

Quote:

Also, I realize that a new person could use the search engines, but how are all the new people suppose to know.

Perhaps if they read the first thread in this, and most sections, that very plainly reads " ALL PLEASE READ **AGAIN** ". It would be number 3 in that thread.

Quote:

I mean we assume that everyone is literate enough to know how this the forum software functions as soon as they log on here. That is certainly not the cause for most of us. Mostly we just grope around until we get the hang of using forums like this.

I've learned long ago not to assume anything about people. I would however prefer it if those who don't know how to use the search function DID "grope around" the forum for a bit before starting a thread. It would cut down on about 75% of the recurring questions.

Quote:

I do understand the that it might be frustrating to answer the same question over and over, but I also belong to a airgun forum, and I must answer some of the same questions 3-4 times per week repeatedly for new users.

You’re not on another forum. You’re on a martial arts forum and most of us feel the same way about the use of this forum as we do about training. If you’re to lazy to do a little work why should be do it for you?

Quote:

That is just the nature of how thing work in chat forums. At least it has been since 1982 when I started. It just comes with the territory is all

Is this supposed to be an excuse for people to be lazy? "It's been that way since 1982" isn't an excuse for people to be lazy and it doesn't have to be catered to. Catering to it only perpetuates it.

#239051 - 03/25/06 03:43 PM Re: answers to questions: why so harsh? [Re: MattJ]
Reiki Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: MiddleEarth
Thankyou Lane & Matt.

Many people joining a new forum usually take time to browse the old posts to get a feel for the place and to see if there has been a discussion prior to their topic before they post.

What I find interesting here is the number of people [usually the younger ones] who don't bother to look before they speak.

Or they launch into an attack on the moderator of the forum because they wont tell them how to <and please forgive this example!> "PLZ TEL ME WHR 2FND MKG KI BALL?" and then get irate when the mod locks the topic or some of the old timers step in and ask them to stop speaking in txtspk etc.

Would you do this in your own dojo? With what respect to you approach your instructor or dojo leader?

We are all here because of a common interest in the martial arts. Some of us give up spare time we dont really have to moderate here because we want to keep the site growing.

So enough with the whinging!
The rules are the rules and that's that.

We are here to talk about weapons.... so get talking!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Cord, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Self Defense
Offering stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and other self defense products not available in stores.

Pepper Spray
Online distributor of self defense supplies like videos, stun guns, Tasers and more.

Spy Cameras
Surveillance, Hidden Cameras, Nanny Cams, Digital Recorders, Spy Equipment, Pocket DVR's and more

Stun Gun
Wholesale Directlhy to the Public! Stun gun and Taser Guns and personal protection products. Keep your loved ones at home safe!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga