FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 38 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
mohdnabeel, sunny, swordy, jerrybarry24, SenseiGregT
22915 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Ed_Morris 4
AndyLA 3
Matakiant 3
futsaowingchun 3
Zombie Zero 2
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
New Topics
Wing Chun-internal training
by futsaowingchun
Today at 09:01 PM
Martial News
by Matakiant
Today at 06:42 AM
STX Kickboxing Seminar
by Marcus Charles
09/09/14 06:57 PM
Biu Tzu- 1st section applications
by futsaowingchun
09/05/14 10:56 PM
2014 World Championships Chelyabinsk: The Gallery
by ergees
09/01/14 03:51 AM
Biu Tzu- Snake hand strike
by futsaowingchun
08/27/14 09:02 PM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
mindfullness meditation
by
01/06/09 11:27 AM
Recent Posts
Wing Chun-internal training
by futsaowingchun
Today at 09:01 PM
Martial News
by Matakiant
Today at 06:42 AM
attacked from behind
by AndyLA
09/19/14 09:05 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Matakiant
09/18/14 07:11 AM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
09/18/14 06:07 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by Zombie Zero
09/16/14 04:43 PM
Eugue Ryu
by kolslaw
09/12/14 03:35 PM
Biu Tzu- 1st section applications
by futsaowingchun
09/05/14 10:56 PM
2014 World Championships Chelyabinsk: The Gallery
by ergees
09/01/14 03:51 AM
mindfullness meditation
by log1call
08/31/14 09:43 PM
Forum Stats
22915 Members
36 Forums
35577 Topics
432497 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#238188 - 09/07/06 11:57 PM Re: protein shakes without milk [Re: Cord]
crablord Offline
th3 t4sty sn4ck

Loc: Australia, QLD, GC
acne is a nightmare. I suffered badly in my teens, and still get the odd big zit now at 31 years old . My face was always clear, but my back and chest were like the surface of mars. i didnt go swimming from the age of 12 to 17 because of it. i was given acne treatments by my doctor (acutane and erythromycin if I remember correctly), but cant say that it helped much. I didnt help things by being a 'squeezer' who is also prone to keloid scarring.
I did find switching to a completely natural, unfragranced hypoallergenic soap helped some, as did combining that with gentle exfoliation (using a back scrubber/loofer)

Long and short of it was that i just had to tough it out till my body calmed down and let me off the hook, then when I was left with just scars, I got myself covered in tattoos so you cant see em (I would have got the tats anyway, but its how I justified to my mum )
If you suffer from adult acne, then your doc should test your hormone levels for imbalances, and then treat accordingly.

---- you avoided swimming because of your acne? i thought swimming was good because the water washes your skin and clears it??!?!! oh yeah someone said before that diet has nothing to do with it, but i have pretty bad acne, and i can make my face perfectly clear in a week by not eating junk! btw cord im still on your diet but ive given myself 1 junk food day a week lol, i cant go without junk

#238189 - 09/08/06 12:20 AM Re: protein shakes without milk [Re: vegantkd]
JoelM Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Georgia, USA

#238190 - 09/08/06 12:51 AM Re: protein shakes without milk [Re: vegantkd]
Cord Offline
Prolific

Loc: Cambridge UK.
Quote:

I make my shakes with soymilk. Actually it adds to the protein content as well.
And yes, cow milk is related in some way to acne. I believe it was the book "Milk: The Deadly Poison" that gives a good scientific argument against cow's milk.

Soy milk was originaly a waste product that got disposed of as low grade pig feed. its nutritional benefits to humans reflect its background.

i believe it was the book 'Vegans: its just not natural' that gave a good common sense argument against extreme vegeterianism.

Your doctor can test you for lactose intolerance. If you are lactose tolerant (most are) then cows milk contains a far better quality of protein than non dairy equivalents.

#238191 - 09/08/06 02:39 PM Re: protein shakes without milk [Re: JoelM]
vegantkd Offline

Quote:

http://www.slate.com/id/2148758/?GT1=8592#soy

All I said about soymilk was that it adds to the protein content of the protein shake. It's not good in excess, just like anything else. If you can't drink cow's milk and you're afraid of soy then there's rice milk, almond milk, etc.

#238192 - 09/08/06 02:49 PM Re: protein shakes without milk [Re: Cord]
vegantkd Offline

Quote:

Soy milk was originaly a waste product that got disposed of as low grade pig feed. its nutritional benefits to humans reflect its background.

an 8 oz serving of soy milk compared to 2% cow's milk has the same amount of vit. A, 5% more vit. D, the same amount of calcium, 6% more iron (cow's milk has none) and 3% more folate. But sure, whatever you say.

Quote:

i believe it was the book 'Vegans: its just not natural' that gave a good common sense argument against extreme vegeterianism.

No one said anything about vegetarianism.

Quote:

Your doctor can test you for lactose intolerance. If you are lactose tolerant (most are) then cows milk contains a far better quality of protein than non dairy equivalents.

If you are lactose intolerant, protein or not, you probably shouldn't be drinking cow's milk.

#238193 - 09/08/06 03:26 PM Re: protein shakes without milk [Re: vegantkd]
Cord Offline
Prolific

Loc: Cambridge UK.
Quote:

an 8 oz serving of soy milk compared to 2% cow's milk has the same amount of vit. A, 5% more vit. D, the same amount of calcium, 6% more iron (cow's milk has none) and 3% more folate. But sure, whatever you say.

soy milk has been found to increase production of phytoeostrogens in both men and women, whilst also lowering testosterone production in men. Result? the proteins within the soy milk count for jack-sh1t as your ability to maintain and grow lean muscle tissue diminishes on a hormonal level.

Quote:

Quote:

No one said anything about vegetarianism.

Very true, and I should apologise for the sarcastic tone I took- its just that when a member pops up out of the blue with 'vegan' in their name and starts on about the wonders of soy, I sense an agenda. my agenda is the following: i believe in personal choice, and good nutrition in any form. If vegetarian/vegan eating is your path based on moral concience, then good luck to you, and with a good level of knowledge the human body can be sustained very well this way, however the simple truth is that our bodies are wired for an omnivorous diet, even if our brain decides it wishes to abstain from eating things that have faces.

Quote:

Quote:

If you are lactose intolerant, protein or not, you probably shouldn't be drinking cow's milk.

Thats what i said if you re read what I wrote in the quote you chose to use.

Vegetarians have a right to good quality protein as well as omnivores- everyone should avoid soy milk, its bad news.

#238194 - 09/08/06 03:56 PM Re: protein shakes without milk [Re: Cord]
grumbleweed Offline

I've read Soy bean farms are devastating Amazonia, slashing and burning virgin rainforest and displacing aboriginal people. Another good reason to avoid pig swill . any environmentally sensitive vegan would (ought too) know already!

#238195 - 09/08/06 04:04 PM Re: protein shakes without milk [Re: Cord]
vegantkd Offline

Quote:

Very true, and I should apologise for the sarcastic tone I took- its just that when a member pops up out of the blue with 'vegan' in their name and starts on about the wonders of soy, I sense an agenda. my agenda is the following: i believe in personal choice, and good nutrition in any form. If vegetarian/vegan eating is your path based on moral concience, then good luck to you, and with a good level of knowledge the human body can be sustained very well this way, however the simple truth is that our bodies are wired for an omnivorous diet, even if our brain decides it wishes to abstain from eating things that have faces.

He asked for dairy alternatives and since I use dairy alternatives I figured I could join this conversation.
The reason I flaunt that I'm vegan is to show the naysayers that you can in fact be a healthy athlete while maintaining a vegan diet. When I boxed I got it tattoed on my arm and a lot of the guys in my gym were surprised and made a connection between my diet and my endurance, and started asking lots of questions about veganism.
And as far as our bodies being wired for omnivorism, there are several theories on this. If I have time I'll try to find some credible links on this sometime if you're interested.

Quote:

Quote:

Thats what i said if you re read what I wrote in the quote you chose to use.

Vegetarians have a right to good quality protein as well as omnivores- everyone should avoid soy milk, its bad news.

My bad. I kept re-reading it before I posted but for some reason I just kept seeing "intolerant." I supposed my brain is trained to see the phrase "lactose intolerant" and so I kept thinking I saw it.
And once again, I've not read anything saying that soy in moderation is bad for you. If you can find me a non-biased article or some piece of information on it, I'd be interested.

#238196 - 09/08/06 07:43 PM Re: protein shakes without milk [Re: vegantkd]
Borrek Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Ann Arbor, MI
Quote:

Quote:

That is not necessarily true. If you are lactose intolerant, you should avoid pastuerized milk. Lactose is digested by the enzyme lactase. Unpasturized milk contains the lactase that lactose intolerants lack. Pastuerization converts that lactase into something unusable

#238197 - 09/12/06 10:10 AM Re: protein shakes without milk [Re: Cord]
vegantkd Offline

After some of the discussion on this topic, I've been looking more into soy a lot. What I've come to is that certain kinds of soy (tempeh, miso) are good for you, but most isn't. And also, having a steady diet of soy is not good for you. But soy being mixed in with a balanced diet every now and then won't be too bad for you.
So what I've done is rather than using chocolate soymilk for my protein shake, I'm using chocolate almond milk (which tastes like Yoo Hoo), instead of vanilla soy milk for cereal and pancakes and stuff, I'm using rice milk. I'm cutting tofu out of my diet as well as well as soy meats. But even for those who don't purposely eat soy, you may want to check labels for every day things you may eat for Hydrolyzed soy protein. It's a way of getting MSG into a product without having to label it. It's called Clean Label MSG.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Cord, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Stun Guns
Variety of stun gun devices for your protection

Buy Pepper Spray
Worry about your family when you’re not around? Visit us today to protect everything you value.

Koryu.com
Accurate information on the ancient martial traditions of the Japanese samurai

C2 Taser
Protect yourself and loved ones from CRIME with the latest C2 Taser citizen model. Very effective.

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga