FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 57 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
ksusanc, kellypnik123, leyinn, Ron_Cooley, businns
22902 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Dobbersky 12
cxt 7
trevek 6
JKogas 5
TaekwonDoFan 2
July
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
New Topics
centerline concepts
by futsaowingchun
07/14/14 10:49 PM
language of syllabus
by trevek
07/11/14 03:36 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:14 AM
10 San Sik drills-Wing Chun's foundation
by futsaowingchun
06/30/14 11:20 AM
"Ip Man" and "Ip Man 2" the movies.
by TaekwonDoFan
06/30/14 11:02 AM
Iaido movements speed
by TooNice
04/14/14 01:47 PM
Anderson Silva - Leg Break
by Dobbersky
12/30/13 08:32 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
Gi or no Gi Grappling?
by Prizewriter
04/16/12 02:48 PM
MMA - A passing Fad
by Dobbersky
04/12/12 11:16 AM
Recent Posts
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by cxt
Yesterday at 11:35 AM
centerline concepts
by Dobbersky
07/18/14 06:14 AM
language of syllabus
by trevek
07/14/14 04:50 PM
Gi or no Gi Grappling?
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:38 AM
MMA - A passing Fad
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:35 AM
Anderson Silva - Leg Break
by Dobbersky
07/09/14 06:13 AM
Throwing
by JKogas
07/03/14 07:40 PM
10 San Sik drills-Wing Chun's foundation
by futsaowingchun
06/30/14 11:20 AM
"Ip Man" and "Ip Man 2" the movies.
by TaekwonDoFan
06/30/14 11:02 AM
Forget all that health stuff
by TaekwonDoFan
06/29/14 03:18 AM
Forum Stats
22902 Members
36 Forums
35563 Topics
432450 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 2 of 11 < 1 2 3 4 ... 10 11 >
Topic Options
#237433 - 03/10/06 11:51 AM Re: Wrist grabs: how common are they? [Re: harlan]
Cord Offline
Prolific

Loc: Cambridge UK.
Quote:

I think you guys are biased....looking at it from a 'professional' point of view. A wrist grab, from my limited personal experience, is used when the aggressor doesn't expect resistance. Used on women and children as a control...a prelude to abduction or further violence.

I have no doubt in this situation they may be more common, If a woman is grabbed by the wrists, the grabber will 'pull' expecting the woman to try and withdraw from him, i would say if able to act quick enough, this would be a perfect time to use his drawing motion to go with it and headbutt the creep. This could be made more possible as the chances are that he will be stood in such a way as to distance his shins and groin from attack (obvious targets), this will mean that his face is closer as he stoops forward slightly- WHAM! then run.

Just a thought.

#237434 - 03/10/06 04:30 PM Re: Wrist grabs: how common are they? [Re: Cord]
Lord_Morningstar Offline

Iíve always viewed wristgrabs as being part of an abduction-style attack rather than a beating-up style attack. Regardless of how common they are, I think a lot of schools start teaching self-defence with escaping from wrist grabs because theyíre simple. Itís an easy point at which to begin.

#237435 - 03/10/06 05:00 PM Re: Wrist grabs: how common are they? [Re: Lord_Morningstar]
Neko456 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Midwest City, Ok, USA
The wrist grab is common when an opponent thinks he is stronger or wants to control and convince and halt your movement. Its common when a attacker approaches a woman or when a aggressive male may try to seduce a unlikely male subject. The idea is to be close and controlling and not get hit standing or sitting. Its not thats common but it can happen its best to know how to quick release from this controlling grasp then to have to go into ground work or grappling. Unless its really serious I see it as a no win situation, if you know a quick release its done and you can start the verbal assault and escape. Usually thats all thats neccesary because the wrist grab was to get you close and quitely express themselves, loud mean its over.

In abducting a woman with the two wrist grab, the same is true, a loud scream can usually end this assault especailly when accompanied by a kick between the legs!!!

#237436 - 03/10/06 05:36 PM Re: Wrist grabs: how common are they? [Re: Neko456]
McSensei Offline
Veteran

Loc: Kent, England
Here we go again. The wrist grab scenario, right?

Anybody else ever wondered why so many kata start with a wrist grab?

There's this, not sure how true it is, I wasn't there. (Try asking Oldman )

Might have something to do with the fact that in 18/19th century Okinawa people carried their money in a pouch up their sleeve.

I prefer this explanation...

Kata were created for fighters by fighters and a certain amount of knowledge should be assumed. In a fight the quickest way to end it would be to attack either the eyes, the throat or the groin.

Think about this for a moment.

What would be your reaction if someone was reaching for one of the above on you?

You might conceivably grab their wrist to check them, right...

#237437 - 03/11/06 02:09 AM Re: Wrist grabs: how common are they? [Re: McSensei]
Ed_Morris Offline
Professional Poster

thanks for the replies.
before the direction of the thread wanders into kata interpretation,

I'm asking: Are wrist grabs a HAPV? are they common and varied enough to justify practicing multiple means of release?

lets forget about kata interpretations. thanks.

#237438 - 03/11/06 02:37 AM Re: Wrist grabs: how common are they? [Re: Ed_Morris]
BrianS Offline
Higher rank than you
Professional Poster

Loc: Northwest Arkansas
I really don't believe they are. I would spend more time focusing on other things for self defense.

#237439 - 03/11/06 02:50 AM Re: Wrist grabs: how common are they? [Re: BrianS]
Cord Offline
Prolific

Loc: Cambridge UK.
Quote:

I really don't believe they are. I would spend more time focusing on other things for self defense.

Agreed. A high level of training geared towards self defence should enable you to have run from, or dealt with a threat long before you are in a position to have your wrist grabbed.

Threat awareness, verbal de-escalation, body language, distance control/fencing, and confidence in judgement on when to act decisively should all be far higher on your list of necessities than 'if he grabs like this, twist that way....' etc.

#237440 - 03/11/06 06:21 AM Re: Wrist grabs: how common are they? [Re: wristtwister]
miyamoto Offline

Loc: earth
Quote:

While most arts practice wrist grabs from the front, the most of them on the street are done from behind. It's one thing to grab a guy's wrist knowing he's going to knock your lights out with his other fist, and grabbing both wrists from behind or grabbing one and spinning the victim into your punch.

While my focus is jujitsu, I try to make it from realistic attacks and not from the "made up attacks" that you find in a lot of schools. I tend to work out things that will work from punches and grips that actually occur "in nature" rather than the classical attacks and wrist grabs from the front. Most of those occurred by trying to stop someone from drawing a sword or sai or the like, and there just aren't many people running around with them in their belts these days.

We do a lot of single and double wrist grips in aikido, but they are used to demonstrate principles more than actually being "street attacks"... but there again, every school has its own methods and focus.

While It's true that most of wrist grabs specially those "attacks" from the front where really for principles and not a defense actually we can't deny that this simple twist in the wrist thru correct execution of techniques might save us from harm aren't they? A nukite dori technique, I find it very useful in a tight spaces in tachiai or idori stances and this is very useful for women even from both position. For me, i don't need a lot of wrist techniques, what I need is just one that I studied and almost perfected for years.

#237441 - 03/11/06 08:00 PM Re: Wrist grabs: how common are they? [Re: Ed_Morris]
shoshinkan Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: UK
grabs do appear in the top 10 HAPV, arm and lapel.

also McSensei makes valid points historically (money up sleeve and weapon draw) and in reality, if someone is really coming at you with intent then throat and groin grabs/strikes are very much our instinctive defence, hence they grab your arm to release, particulary if it goes to stand up grappling, which is again very common in assaults.

I will post the accepted UK common assaults list soon as im off to bed

www.shoshinkanuk.blogspot.com

#237442 - 03/12/06 05:38 PM Re: Wrist grabs: how common are they? [Re: shoshinkan]
shoshinkan Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: UK
Note - see new thread started, Acts Of Violence Summary

www.shoshinkanuk.blogspot.com

Page 2 of 11 < 1 2 3 4 ... 10 11 >

Moderator:  Cord, Dedicated1, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Fight Videos
Night club fight footage and street fights captured with the world's first bouncer spy cam

How to Matrix!
Learn ten times faster with new training method. Learn entire arts for as little as $10 per disk.

Self Defense
Stun guns, pepper spray, Mace and self defense products. Alarms for personal and home use.

TASER MC26C
Stop An Urban Gorilla: Get 2 FREE TASER M26C Replacement Air Cartridges With Each New TASER M26C!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga