FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 32 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
AndyLA, danacohenn, ksusanc, kellypnik123, leyinn
22904 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Dobbersky 13
cxt 7
trevek 6
JKogas 5
futsaowingchun 4
July
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
New Topics
Applied center line theory
by futsaowingchun
Yesterday at 08:55 AM
centerline concepts
by futsaowingchun
07/14/14 10:49 PM
language of syllabus
by trevek
07/11/14 03:36 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:14 AM
10 San Sik drills-Wing Chun's foundation
by futsaowingchun
06/30/14 11:20 AM
"Ip Man" and "Ip Man 2" the movies.
by TaekwonDoFan
06/30/14 11:02 AM
Anderson Silva - Leg Break
by Dobbersky
12/30/13 08:32 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
Gi or no Gi Grappling?
by Prizewriter
04/16/12 02:48 PM
MMA - A passing Fad
by Dobbersky
04/12/12 11:16 AM
Recent Posts
Gi or no Gi Grappling?
by Dobbersky
Today at 05:11 AM
Applied center line theory
by futsaowingchun
Yesterday at 08:55 AM
centerline concepts
by futsaowingchun
Yesterday at 08:53 AM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by cxt
07/24/14 11:35 AM
language of syllabus
by trevek
07/14/14 04:50 PM
MMA - A passing Fad
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:35 AM
Anderson Silva - Leg Break
by Dobbersky
07/09/14 06:13 AM
Throwing
by JKogas
07/03/14 07:40 PM
10 San Sik drills-Wing Chun's foundation
by futsaowingchun
06/30/14 11:20 AM
"Ip Man" and "Ip Man 2" the movies.
by TaekwonDoFan
06/30/14 11:02 AM
Forum Stats
22904 Members
36 Forums
35564 Topics
432454 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 6 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6
Topic Options
#237406 - 08/29/06 07:51 PM Re: Real techniques versus dojo techniques [Re: eyrie]
ANDY44 Offline
Revolutionary!

Hi There

I cant quite see you point but it would seem we move around in different circles.

Edited by ANDY44 (08/29/06 08:02 PM)

#237407 - 08/29/06 10:08 PM Re: Real techniques versus dojo techniques [Re: ANDY44]
Ronin1966 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: East Coast, United States
Hello Andy44:

<<In the kind of job I do the idiots fight.So I have to remove them.

Ever considered a better job?

Please understand I am asking a genuine question here. And I think (rightly/wrongly) this speaks to the heart of wristtwisters original thread question.

That being the difference between practice and usage... the very different intent... possibly a very different ~governing philosophy~ if you will? All debatible I grant you....

When you speak of ones ~natural reactions~ being unavoidable and if I am reading correctly unalterable or perhaps "unusable"? Am I reading your words correctly?

You are saying that approached by a problem, or approaching a situation you cannot detach, mentally remove yourself from your body's autonomic responses, adrenaline, etc.? You must go primal, and have no... "detachment" no observer-perception from the situation, whatever it might happen to be? In a situation, again whatever it might be... you don't "step back" try and prevent stupidity from getting worse...

Trying to understand the mind set here...
J

#237408 - 08/30/06 09:09 AM Re: Real techniques versus dojo techniques [Re: Ronin1966]
ANDY44 Offline
Revolutionary!

Hi There.

I was going to bring this conversation to an end
But

Two words if it is mindset you are discussing.

Animal and intellect.

The other guy trys to give circumstances of a doctor doing an operation or people at the scene of an accident keeping cool .Seemingly detached
They might.Their minds can be controlled
That is intellect.

Wrong circumstances for mind control.Thats easy.
Its easy to practice any technique physical or mental
untill there comes a time to prove that technique.
Speculation about what might be isnt the same as being put in to that situation.

Any how my heavy bag awaits me.
My bare hands,knees,head and feet will be sore when I have finished.
And weigth training where I shall go in to primeavel/animal mode.Aggression
Detached away from societys understanding of humans

Then I shall become calm and detach myself because if I dont normal types get upset.
Intellect.

Ous

Human history will explain about mind sets
but that is a very heavy depressing debate

Edited by ANDY44 (08/30/06 09:18 AM)

#237409 - 08/30/06 10:44 PM Re: Real techniques versus dojo techniques [Re: ANDY44]
wristtwister Offline
like a chiropractor, only evil

Loc: South Carolina
Andy,
there is an "animal" content to us all, and an intellectual one... as well as an emotional one. What our training is designed to do, is to make us clinical in our reactions, but clinical in the sense of being "under control". I could teach a monkey to do all the things necessary to fly a plane, but I'm not going to have him fly a 727 full of people... why, because he lacks judgement.

What makes martial artists superior to others in their actions isn't just the technique they use... but the prudent application of them. If you have the skills to fight, you also have to have the ability to avoid one, because you can't possibly train for all situations.

You have to develop the ability to conduct instant "threat assessment" and choose a technique to use to help improve your situation rather than just disposing of one attacker... because fighting situations are always fluid... and while you want to focus this on "animal instinct", it is prudent judgement that makes us "clinical" technicians rather than simple brutes.

#237410 - 08/31/06 12:27 AM Re: Real techniques versus dojo techniques [Re: wristtwister]
ANDY44 Offline
Revolutionary!

Hi There

It would be a nice thought if that could be achieved.
Unfortunatly I dont see it to often. I work in night clubs removing people who want to fight as part of a team. I can see your point but I dont think I will ever become totaly clinicaly removed from situations. Some one mentioned vets on here earlier. Well the ones I know werent distant . More the opposite.

I can see your point.

would be nice

ANDY

#237411 - 08/31/06 12:34 AM Re: Real techniques versus dojo techniques [Re: Ronin1966]
ANDY44 Offline
Revolutionary!

Quote:

Hello Andy44:

Trying to understand the mind set here...
J

The mind set is that wristtwister speaks of being in total control achieved by martial arts training. I have some control but I am not in total control. My normal human emotions/endocrine system still controls my thought action when under extreme pressure.

Thats about it.

I could bs and say everything is but Im not going to.

Nice thougth if it could be chieved.

Andy

#237412 - 08/31/06 01:56 AM Re: Real techniques versus dojo techniques [Re: ANDY44]
eyrie Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: QLD, Australia
Without going into an overlap with the Aikido vs etc. thread, let me just say, that ironically, the more you can let go and embrace the concept of "not fighting" (i.e. Aiki is "love" ... no enemies... no conflict... achieve harmony...), the better you can start to see how and why "ai-ki" is such a powerful martial paradigm.

#237413 - 09/05/06 07:47 PM Re: Real techniques versus dojo techniques [Re: eyrie]
Atreu Offline

Loc: under the southern cross
Quote:

Without going into an overlap with the Aikido vs etc. thread, let me just say, that ironically, the more you can let go and embrace the concept of "not fighting" (i.e. Aiki is "love" ... no enemies... no conflict... achieve harmony...), the better you can start to see how and why "ai-ki" is such a powerful martial paradigm.

hear here!!!

I've noticed that as I reached a more mature level in yudansha (I just got my sandan woo hoo )The more i explore the essence of aikido. Less fights (I should stop hanging around redfern and kingsX in Sydney) I get into. It is almost a bliss to get positive Ki from training to better one's wellbeing than training so you can do shiho nage/kumi nage on someone that annoys you.

I even tried calligraphy...Im tereible at it.

Page 6 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderator:  Ames, Cord, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Self Defense
Offering stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and other self defense products not available in stores.

Pepper Spray
Online distributor of self defense supplies like videos, stun guns, Tasers and more.

Spy Cameras
Surveillance, Hidden Cameras, Nanny Cams, Digital Recorders, Spy Equipment, Pocket DVR's and more

Stun Gun
Wholesale Directlhy to the Public! Stun gun and Taser Guns and personal protection products. Keep your loved ones at home safe!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga