FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 57 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Shanktotheright, royal, bobgalle100011, agenonline, TooNice
22862 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
THEFOREVERMAN 3
MattJ 2
royal 2
Dobbersky 2
cxt 1
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
New Topics
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by Marcus Charles
03/24/14 04:39 PM
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by Dobbersky
03/20/14 05:45 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
AKK kata question
by
09/04/05 01:27 PM
Recent Posts
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by THEFOREVERMAN
04/16/14 08:22 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by THEFOREVERMAN
04/16/14 08:20 AM
AKK kata question
by MattJ
04/04/14 05:45 PM
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Forum Stats
22862 Members
36 Forums
35546 Topics
432378 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Topic Options
#237163 - 03/08/06 07:19 PM name your hands
18lohans Offline

I've taken multiple kung fu styles, and have friends that take similar styles, but at different schools.

What I've noticed is that some places manage to name every technique they have, while others don't. (ie, wing chun has tan sau, pak sau, bong sau, while some other kung fu style will simply say a shin block, or this movement in this form)

Does your style name everything? And is it less legitimate of the school if not every move is named? Or is that just something left out of the teaching?

#237164 - 03/09/06 12:01 AM Re: name your hands [Re: 18lohans]
pepto_bismol Offline
infinite kudos

well pak sau probably means something similar to slap block in chinese. But if I never learned the term pak sau, or forgot the term I would simply say "slap block"

Instaid of saying osotagari I have heard people say leg sweep.

Since most martial arts come from differant countries, it only makes cense that they would speak differant languages, right?

So whether you choose to pronounce the move in English, or in any other language the move is still the same.

And to answer your question we do call things by there chinese names

but I think it really doesn't make a differance.

It all depends on the instructor.

Edit: Just read your legit part,
No it doesn't make it any less "legit"
Martial Art's is mainly physical so I don't think speaking one language or speaking 9 languages makes the instructor any better or any worse

Edited by pepto_bismol (03/09/06 12:05 AM)

#237165 - 03/09/06 03:36 AM Re: name your hands [Re: pepto_bismol]
18lohans Offline

Thanks for your reply, and I do agree with you. While it seems cool to say terms in chinese, or whatever the art's native language is, they are probably just equivalent to saying it in english.

However, what about those more poetic kind of names, like in tai chi (White crane spreads wings, needle at the bottom of the sea)? Do most styles' poetic names get lost in translation?

#237166 - 03/09/06 08:05 AM Re: name your hands [Re: 18lohans]
Fisherman Offline
Veteran

Loc: Colorado, USA
Most moves/techniques have names to them otherwise how would we identify with them?
The language or the name itself does not dictate whether the move is good or bad, the person doing it does.

Quote:

Do most styles' poetic names get lost in translation?

The true understanding of the meaning might not go as deep as it should, but that is only in part due to the language barrier. Bad representation of a form is usually due to the teachers lack of understanding.
Lets face it. Part of the allure of Taiji is the fancy names for its moves.

#237167 - 03/18/06 08:25 AM Re: name your hands [Re: Fisherman]
Subedei Offline

Well I speak english and live in an english speaking country, so I'm going to speak english most of the time.

Now several of my masters don't speak much english and speak a whole lot of Japanaese or Korean, so some of what I'm going to learn will be in Korean or Japanese.

Poetics? Pssh! If what most people see looking at a technique is "chicken wing" or "rabbit feet" then those are good names, they conjure the image of the technique in someones mind and associate very well. Most of the Korean and Japanese names tend to be very simple and descriptive in my experience, and sometimes downright silly yet none the less effective.

So I guess in conclusion it's best to teach in the native language of those you intend to teach whenever possible. Some of them will want to learn the native words which is great but really secondary to the purpose of giving techniques names: communication.

#237168 - 06/24/06 02:03 PM Re: name your hands [Re: Subedei]
18lohans Offline

Does anyone know what chi sao is in mandarin (or can type it in chinese, or know where I can see the chinese characters for it?)

#237169 - 06/24/06 02:13 PM Re: name your hands [Re: 18lohans]
IExcalibui2 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: New York City
lohan you could check out this site for chinese characters
http://zhongwen.com/

This site offers mandarin, though I doubt there will be a problem even though WC is a southern art. Different dilects have a few different characters.

But back to the topic, I dont think naming the techniques are that significant. The names probably could have just came out of training or learning. The teacher may say "see how your hands stick to the other guys?" and then later on he just calls it chi sao so that he has to do less talking and everyone still understands.

The chinese can call a jab x,y, and z but in english its just called a jab. Either way its a jab right?

#237170 - 06/25/06 09:58 AM Re: name your hands [Re: IExcalibui2]
Fisherman Offline
Veteran

Loc: Colorado, USA
It depends on what the intention is behind the jab. Names may be given to describe a concept or technique more indepth so that the practitioner may gain a better understanding of what they are training.

#237171 - 06/27/06 05:28 AM Re: name your hands [Re: Fisherman]
Tezza Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Kent, U.K.
Very True Fisherman

Moderator:  Cord, Gavin, JasonM, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Self Defense
Offering stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and other self defense products not available in stores.

Pepper Spray
Online distributor of self defense supplies like videos, stun guns, Tasers and more.

Spy Cameras
Surveillance, Hidden Cameras, Nanny Cams, Digital Recorders, Spy Equipment, Pocket DVR's and more

Stun Gun
Wholesale Directlhy to the Public! Stun gun and Taser Guns and personal protection products. Keep your loved ones at home safe!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga