FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 38 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
LeroyCFischer, JadeKing, Beefcake, WesJones, simonajones111
22933 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
charlie 2
futsaowingchun 2
Matakiant 1
ergees 1
William_Bent 1
November
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
New Topics
unrecognized kata
by William_Bent
11/19/14 07:05 PM
I gained a lot of month in the last few months
by simonajones111
11/19/14 04:54 AM
Siu Lin Tao-3rd section applications
by futsaowingchun
11/13/14 06:48 PM
Screen fighting course UK December 2014
by charlie
11/11/14 04:09 PM
Siu Lin Tao-1st section Pak Sao explanations
by futsaowingchun
11/09/14 10:30 PM
I spy kata bunkai..
by GojuRyuboy13
10/29/14 08:28 AM
Judo 2014 World Championships Juniors: The Gallery
by ergees
10/25/14 04:53 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
MA style video library
by
03/22/06 03:18 PM
Recent Posts
unrecognized kata
by William_Bent
11/19/14 07:05 PM
I gained a lot of month in the last few months
by simonajones111
11/19/14 04:54 AM
Siu Lin Tao-3rd section applications
by futsaowingchun
11/13/14 06:48 PM
Screen fighting course UK December 2014
by charlie
11/11/14 04:09 PM
MA style video library
by charlie
11/11/14 04:05 PM
Siu Lin Tao-1st section Pak Sao explanations
by futsaowingchun
11/09/14 10:30 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/29/14 10:01 PM
I spy kata bunkai..
by GojuRyuboy13
10/29/14 08:28 AM
Judo 2014 World Championships Juniors: The Gallery
by ergees
10/25/14 04:53 PM
Forum Stats
22933 Members
36 Forums
35589 Topics
432521 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#236737 - 03/11/06 01:53 AM Re: footwork mechanics [Re: Borrek]
wristtwister Offline
like a chiropractor, only evil

Loc: South Carolina
Nishiyama Sensei told us in a seminar that "the ankles control body movement", and if you watch Shotokan players, they don't "bounce up and down", but raise and lower their ankles while using their knees as a sort of a spring to dart in and out. That kind of footwork and "deep angle" of the center is necessary for a "full body contraction" that should accompany every punch. Remember that the attack, if fully committed will only occur once, and if you practice with the Ikken Hisatsu philosophy (to kill with one stroke), that makes perfect sense.

Some of these clowns bounce up and down like they got free passes on a trampoline, which is usually why they're no good in fighting. You can move your entire body the full length of your step, from front foot to back foot without ever moving your feet, so "up and down" gets you nothing... using the ankles to spring forward, however, gets you an entry into your target.

#236738 - 03/11/06 07:53 AM Re: footwork mechanics [Re: wristtwister]
Ed_Morris Offline
Professional Poster

The ankles do provide for direction of the movement...but it's not where power is generated. In my opinion. here's proof: lock your back knee and then step forward. that isolates your ankle/calf to generate the power. now try it with your rear knee bent. now you are using all of the leg to generate power.

bouncing up and down slightly is a sport sparring tactic of misdirection. It's effective if you make the slight bounces erratic and unpredictable. but thats not really on-topic.

do you think there is any sort of dynamic tension between each leg when stepping?

#236739 - 03/11/06 03:21 PM Re: footwork mechanics [Re: Ed_Morris]
hedkikr Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Southern California, USA
For years & years, I was taught (& taught) the crescent step-through (Rear foot movement curving toward the forward foot & then back out again). I was told that this prevented the up-down motion (which is wasted motion) thus allowing you to go forward on a level plane.

Well, it does accomplish this BUT I learned that there is a waste of true forward power. For kata (competition, testing, seminars etc.) I'll continue to use & teach the crescent-step. However, to generate & utilize full-body power, I'll use a strait-in step (as if you were on a train track w/o going up & down). The key is to drive w/ your forward-facing hip propelled by the entire leg (as Ed indicated). It's simply impossible to move the entire body mass efficiently w/ bouncy, tournament-style movement & expect efficient, power-producing techniques.

This applies to all foot-work: Step-in, Slide-in or Tsugi-ashi/"shuffle-step" (rear leg moves forward then forward leg moves forward).

Done correctly, your hara (center) will remain in its optimum power/balance position that will, in turn, promote speed whether advancing, retreating or utilizing Tai-sabaki.

#236740 - 03/13/06 09:51 PM Re: footwork mechanics [Re: Ed_Morris]
wristtwister Offline
like a chiropractor, only evil

Loc: South Carolina
Quote:

The ankles do provide for direction of the movement...but it's not where power is generated.

There's no "one" place that power is generated, but from a lot of things happening in sequence and with correct timing. The ankles lift the entire weight of the body every time you move by stepping, but if you do it poorly, it can take a lot out of your punch.

Being an engineer, you should know force vectors, and if you do things that change the force vector to the target by a few degrees, it can significantly affect the amount of force delivered. The body is basically designed to be off balance, and every step is a compensation for position or displacement of the body weight.

Using the ankles to correct the angle of entry to the target is why they spend so much emphasis on it in Shotokan. There has to also be a full body contraction on impact to deliver maximum force. The timing and breath control of exhaling or "kiai" on impact is also where a large amount of power comes from.

What is unique about the footwork issue, is that if it's correct, it looks just like it does when it's "off". It's the little angles that make all the difference.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Cord, MattJ, Reiki, WhiteDragon11 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Self Defense
Offering stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and other self defense products not available in stores.

Pepper Spray
Online distributor of self defense supplies like videos, stun guns, Tasers and more.

Spy Cameras
Surveillance, Hidden Cameras, Nanny Cams, Digital Recorders, Spy Equipment, Pocket DVR's and more

Stun Gun
Wholesale Directlhy to the Public! Stun gun and Taser Guns and personal protection products. Keep your loved ones at home safe!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga