FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 45 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
ksusanc, kellypnik123, leyinn, Ron_Cooley, businns
22902 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Dobbersky 11
trevek 6
cxt 6
JKogas 5
TaekwonDoFan 2
July
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
New Topics
centerline concepts
by futsaowingchun
07/14/14 10:49 PM
language of syllabus
by trevek
07/11/14 03:36 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:14 AM
10 San Sik drills-Wing Chun's foundation
by futsaowingchun
06/30/14 11:20 AM
"Ip Man" and "Ip Man 2" the movies.
by TaekwonDoFan
06/30/14 11:02 AM
Iaido movements speed
by TooNice
04/14/14 01:47 PM
Anderson Silva - Leg Break
by Dobbersky
12/30/13 08:32 AM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
Gi or no Gi Grappling?
by Prizewriter
04/16/12 02:48 PM
Recent Posts
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by cxt
Today at 01:18 PM
centerline concepts
by Dobbersky
07/18/14 06:14 AM
language of syllabus
by trevek
07/14/14 04:50 PM
Gi or no Gi Grappling?
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:38 AM
MMA - A passing Fad
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:35 AM
Anderson Silva - Leg Break
by Dobbersky
07/09/14 06:13 AM
Throwing
by JKogas
07/03/14 07:40 PM
10 San Sik drills-Wing Chun's foundation
by futsaowingchun
06/30/14 11:20 AM
"Ip Man" and "Ip Man 2" the movies.
by TaekwonDoFan
06/30/14 11:02 AM
Forget all that health stuff
by TaekwonDoFan
06/29/14 03:18 AM
Forum Stats
22902 Members
36 Forums
35563 Topics
432448 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#236464 - 03/05/06 06:54 PM Re: MA and Insanity go hand in hand [Re: DaDoN_1]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Loc: York PA. USA
Quote:

no...i think it makes me more of 1, yall will crumble under that sort of pressure..

You keep on thinking that.

#236465 - 03/05/06 07:38 PM Re: MA and Insanity go hand in hand [Re: MattJ]
DaDoN_1 Offline
twinkle toes

ammm..no one's braggin man..didn't u see the topic?? i'm simply looking for feed back on how other ppl train..instead..i'm bashed and contiuned 2 do so..

sorry matt..that was only said out a of lil anger...i really do know better than that crap..
sooo....what about my feed back...?? do yall receive endurance testings?? i read on some thread a while ago that some guy got a BB gradin for a few hours...is that how it is for everyone else?

#236466 - 03/05/06 08:33 PM Re: MA and Insanity go hand in hand [Re: DaDoN_1]
Borrek Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Ann Arbor, MI
the funny thing is that making your knuckles bleed is very counter productive. A good instructor should stop you and explain that you'll end up scabbing off any callouses you've built up.

my favorite definition of insanity at webster.com is

3 a : extreme folly or unreasonableness b : something utterly foolish or unreasonable

#236467 - 03/05/06 09:29 PM Re: MA and Insanity go hand in hand [Re: MattJ]
MAGon Offline
Veteran

Loc: Miami, Fl.
Quote:

Quote:

but am i 2 believe matt that by the "rolling eyes" u think i'm talkin nonsense?

Yes, absolutely. Even if you are telling the truth, that is one of the most idiotic things I have ever heard. How is writing your name in blood in any way related to martial arts training?

It does sound like a brilliant way to to injure yourself and possibly get a nice infection.

Matt: Not to say that I agree with this fella, but the "blood oath" or keppan (In which a thumbprint in blood is made next to their name by the person making it) is to be found at least in the Tenshin Shoden Kattori Shinto Ryu school of kenjutsu.
Again, I don't agree with where this guy is coming from , just providing a bit of information.

#236468 - 03/05/06 10:02 PM Re: MA and Insanity go hand in hand [Re: MAGon]
Borrek Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Ann Arbor, MI
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

but am i 2 believe matt that by the "rolling eyes" u think i'm talkin nonsense?

Yes, absolutely. Even if you are telling the truth, that is one of the most idiotic things I have ever heard. How is writing your name in blood in any way related to martial arts training?

It does sound like a brilliant way to to injure yourself and possibly get a nice infection.

Matt: Not to say that I agree with this fella, but the "blood oath" or keppan (In which a thumbprint in blood is made next to their name by the person making it) is to be found at least in the Tenshin Shoden Kattori Shinto Ryu school of kenjutsu.
Again, I don't agree with where this guy is coming from , just providing a bit of information.

I don't think he was describing a blood oath though. he was more describing a "hey dude look I can bash my hands till they bleed!"

plus a blood oath is a one time thing. An interesting question though, if your instructor asked you to cut your hand for a one time "blood oath" saying you'll faithfully train to the best of your abilities, would you do it?

#236469 - 03/05/06 10:16 PM Re: MA and Insanity go hand in hand [Re: Borrek]
BrianS Offline
Higher rank than you
Professional Poster

Loc: Northwest Arkansas
I agree with Borrek,you are doing more harm than good. In fact you are making yourself physically weaker by doing that kind of repeated damage.

#236470 - 03/06/06 12:27 AM Re: MA and Insanity go hand in hand [Re: BrianS]
Dereck Offline
Prolific

Loc: Great White North
Maybe when I go in to have my ACL reconstructed by taking part of my frontal tendon and chunks of bone from my knee cap and leg bone ... maybe I'll have them embroider "Dumba$$" on my leg.

#236471 - 03/06/06 12:40 AM Re: MA and Insanity go hand in hand [Re: DaDoN_1]
theoldone Offline

Quote:

do yall receive endurance testings?? i read on some thread a while ago that some guy got a BB gradin for a few hours...is that how it is for everyone else?

DaDon,

What your GM is doing is probably his unique version of shugyo as applied to the world of today. Shugyo means "the Way of enlightenment through physical discipline". It is a method of physical training that pushes the trainee to the utmost of his or her physical limits. The samurai did it, as did the ninja, as well as various other traditional martial arts at one time or another. In the broadest sense of the word, today's foremost practitioners of Shugyo are the special forces of the world: the SEALs, the SAS, etc., etc.

Shugyo exists in every form of traditional martial arts. The difference lie in the focus and extent to which each art emphasizes it.

Usually, Shugyo is done as a special event (after adequate preparatory training) that goes over the length of a certain time-frame (a few days, a week, etc., ala special forces' "Hell Week"). Participants usually prepare themselves physically, mentally and spiritually in advance prior to Shugyo.

Your practice of punching the tree till you bleed would be one form of Shugyo, and I can understand why you'd then write your name in your own blood. Your name, in blood, is declaring to whatever "gods and spirits" of the world that are watching, in vivid, fiery red, "This I have done; I, DaDon".

To paraphrase a certain saying, "Pain, where is thy sting".

As a form of Shugyo, if it works for you, then it works for you. But you must grasp what it is that your GM wants for his students to accomplish through this practice. Your interpretation of the purpose of this practice might be different from that of your GM's. Don't just train. Learn as well train.

Having said that, whatever the reason and purpose behind your method of training, look after your hands (and your understanding) well.

Soft hands don't necessarily make you a lousy martial artist. Hard hands don't necessarily make you a great martial artist. Functional hands at least let you brush your teeth.

On a lighter note, to paraphrase Mr. Miyagi, "What tree ever do to you?"

Edited by theoldone (03/06/06 12:44 AM)

#236472 - 03/06/06 01:54 AM Re: MA and Insanity go hand in hand [Re: DaDoN_1]
ButterflyPalm Offline
Enigma

Loc: Malaysia
Quote:

my VERY FIRSY GRADING we had 2 walk a drive way of about 150m on our knuckles...

Please excuse my asking, I just want to be sure, is that 150 meters or 150 miles?

After punching till you bleed, you write your name on the tree or is there a kind of "bloodboard" in your dojo? If so, may we see a picture? just morbid curiosity.

#236473 - 03/06/06 03:02 AM Re: MA and Insanity go hand in hand [Re: ButterflyPalm]
eyrie Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: QLD, Australia
Well, maybe some people should learn to walk upright like everyone else and quit dragging their knuckles

Good post and advice from theoldone....

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Ryukyu Art
Artifacts from the Ryukyu Kingdom missing since WWII. Visit www.ShisaLion.Org to view pictures

Best Stun Guns
Self Defense Products-stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and more

Surveillance 4U
Complete surveillance systems for covert operations or secure installation security

Asylum Images
Book presents photo tour of the Trans-Allegany Lunatic Asylum. A must if you're going to take a ghost tour!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga