FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 33 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bartfast, ZapEm, AndyLA, danacohenn, ksusanc
22906 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Dobbersky 10
AndyLA 5
cxt 3
futsaowingchun 3
VDJ 2
August
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
New Topics
2013 World Championship Rio: The Gallery (HD)
by ergees
Yesterday at 05:22 AM
Chi Sao demonstration
by futsaowingchun
08/14/14 10:57 PM
Decent Fight channel
by FrankyFruits
08/07/14 09:19 PM
2014 European Championships Cadets Athens: Videos
by ergees
08/07/14 10:00 AM
Life goes on....
by Dobbersky
08/07/14 05:59 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
Applied center line theory
by futsaowingchun
07/28/14 08:55 AM
centerline concepts
by futsaowingchun
07/14/14 10:49 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:14 AM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Recent Posts
2013 World Championship Rio: The Gallery (HD)
by ergees
Yesterday at 05:22 AM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by VDJ
08/15/14 05:46 PM
Chi Sao demonstration
by futsaowingchun
08/14/14 10:57 PM
The Karate punch
by Dobbersky
08/12/14 05:14 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by Dobbersky
08/11/14 05:03 AM
Decent Fight channel
by FrankyFruits
08/07/14 09:19 PM
2014 European Championships Cadets Athens: Videos
by ergees
08/07/14 10:00 AM
Life goes on....
by Dobbersky
08/07/14 05:59 AM
A post for those who might become martial artists.
by AndyLA
08/06/14 07:25 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
Forum Stats
22906 Members
36 Forums
35570 Topics
432472 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#236232 - 03/04/06 09:00 AM (Ir)Relevance of JKD
JKogas Offline
Prolific

Loc: North Carolina
Is JKD as relevant today as it was 40 years ago? I believe it is (for my own reasons), but I'm curious to know what the forums thinks and why.

-John

#236233 - 03/04/06 09:15 AM Re: (Ir)Relevance of JKD [Re: JKogas]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Loc: York PA. USA
Good question, John.

JKD as a style? I hate to say it, but probably irrelevant. MMA has pretty much picked up what JKD was, and gone on to be more relevant to the public.

If you accept JKD as a training paradigm, and not a style, then MMA is really an extension of JKD. Pretty relevant when you look at the number of people that are incorporating that type of training into their study.

#236234 - 03/04/06 01:34 PM Re: (Ir)Relevance of JKD [Re: JKogas]
ShikataGaNai Offline
Veteran

Loc: Bellingham, WA
I have and always will view JKD as a concept, not a style. It's like my Sifu has said in the past "JKD was MMA before MMA was MMA". I think every time you use your own mind to expand on a system or style you are familiar with, or incorporate something that works better for you from another system, THAT is JKD.

#236235 - 04/25/06 03:11 AM Re: (Ir)Relevance of JKD [Re: JKogas]
RoninKurosawa Offline

Loc: United States
I'm not going to go into a long philosophical debate or anything but i also view jkd as more of a concept. I also really don't believe that lee ever meant for it to become a style.

It seems to me a concept to better improve your self and your own methods and art. Also i won't lie i think bruce also wanted to make his mark on the world and so he did.

But to me the concepts of jkd will always be relevent.

As for is jkd as a style which some people teach that way relevent, well i guess i think its relevent even that way still if nothing less even if the person does not understand the concepts of it they will at least have a simplified fighting style which can improve their chances in a fight if nothing else.

But like i said to me it was never a style, thats just what people did to it with time.

At any rate this was a cool topic to speak on.

#236236 - 04/25/06 11:50 AM Re: (Ir)Relevance of JKD [Re: JKogas]
Supremor Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: UK
I agree with Matt, in that the concept of JKD as a training paradigm is just as valid as it was then. I would also point out that I feel this concept has almost become part of MA culture. It is very common for people to cross-train in two or even three styles of MA, something that really was not very common 40 years ago.

The style- well I feel the JKD style is very much based around the attributes of Bruce Lee- quite light, very fast etc. Dan Inosanto however teaches a style far more suited to his own physique. This makes a lot of sense to me. The style of JKD in my experience is so diversified among different instructors, that it is just as relevant as it was 40 years ago.

I think JKD will have a long life ahead of it, if it continues to evolve and refuses to turn itself into a certain type of fighting style. When I can tell from looking at a JKD guy that he trains JKD(as I'm sure most of us could looking at a WTF TKD guy or a MT guy), then JKD has a problem IMO.

#236237 - 04/25/06 03:48 PM Re: (Ir)Relevance of JKD [Re: JKogas]
Kentao5 Offline

Loc: Mount Joy, Pa.
To those who have replied so far....your hearts are truly JKD grasshoppers:). : I agree, the essence of JKD is in the current training and I am sure Bruce would approve greatly. I think he would also be impressed with the fact that the "way" of training is just the "way" of training. As he said, Don't get caught up in the name JKD.
Ken

#236238 - 04/25/06 04:57 PM Re: (Ir)Relevance of JKD [Re: Kentao5]
GuitarNinja Offline

Indeed, I dont even like to use the term JKD when referring to lee's concepts, it was just his way of thinking and to get wrapped up into his way of thinking HIS concepts and findings and whatnot, your defeating the purpose. Having no way as way, yet your still using HIS way of thinking as YOUR way of thinking.

JKD seems to be a total contradiction. Lee never finished his work, imagine what would of happened if he would of ended his studies with saying TMA study yields better results.

I havent seen anyone come out publically with advancements in the JKD communitiy, so I would have to say its less relevant today than it was before. More eyes were opened when gracie arrived then bruce, and most MMA guys consider bruce nothing but a halfway actor with considerable MA skill.

If bruce never existed, todays MMA world would be the same, NHB fights are held all over the world, surely these people have come to the same conclusions but without the movie star status.

Its wierd, I change my mind on JKD every other day, making a formless art, when I think if he were to continue to learn under yip man he would of realized all arts are formless once youve reached THAT level of thinking.

I can kick, you can kick, but we both kick different, one way is better than the other, but unless we continue to pass on which way is better ( through forms ) how can we expect to continue evolving ?

I have nothing against JKD or lee, its basically the exact way I feel about the MA. Thing is, without form you dont know what good form is, so how can you expect to be formless if you dont even know what form is ? How do you teach someone to be formless unless they are figuring it out for themselves, that is true formlessness(even a word ? lol )

Im just rambling, I hope I didnt offend anyone, and I hope you can read what I wrote, lol!

#236239 - 04/25/06 06:10 PM Re: (Ir)Relevance of JKD [Re: GuitarNinja]
JKogas Offline
Prolific

Loc: North Carolina
I really don’t think that Lee would have ended his studies saying that TMA would yield better results. At the core of what JKD is and has been about is, aliveness. Often you will find the UTMOST “deadness” within TMA. Kind of the direct opposite of where he was headed I think.

And JKD WAS the MMA before there was MMA, I agree with that statement. Only now, we’re better because we’ve dropped classical/compound hand trapping and have added more sophistication to the ground game because of Brazilian jiu-jitsu.

Conceptually, nothing has really changed.

-John

#236240 - 04/26/06 05:16 AM Re: (Ir)Relevance of JKD [Re: JKogas]
Ayub Offline
heartbreaker, lifetaker

Loc: London, UK
So all this said, what do you think of those who train engrossedly upon a crystallisation of Bruce's style at the point of his death? And furthermore, rally to try and keep it as 'pure' and non deviant as possible?

#236241 - 04/26/06 09:21 PM Re: (Ir)Relevance of JKD [Re: Ayub]
RoninKurosawa Offline

Loc: United States
I think people should do whatever makes them happy as long as they don't hurt anyone in the process.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Cord, JKogas, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Stun Guns
Variety of stun gun devices for your protection

Buy Pepper Spray
Worry about your family when you’re not around? Visit us today to protect everything you value.

Koryu.com
Accurate information on the ancient martial traditions of the Japanese samurai

C2 Taser
Protect yourself and loved ones from CRIME with the latest C2 Taser citizen model. Very effective.

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga