FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 52 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Shanktotheright, royal, bobgalle100011, agenonline, TooNice
22862 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
THEFOREVERMAN 3
royal 2
Dobbersky 2
MattJ 2
Marcus Charles 1
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
New Topics
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by Marcus Charles
03/24/14 04:39 PM
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by Dobbersky
03/20/14 05:45 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
AKK kata question
by
09/04/05 01:27 PM
Recent Posts
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by THEFOREVERMAN
04/16/14 08:22 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by THEFOREVERMAN
04/16/14 08:20 AM
AKK kata question
by MattJ
04/04/14 05:45 PM
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Forum Stats
22862 Members
36 Forums
35546 Topics
432378 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#235838 - 03/08/06 08:34 AM Re: Why do you condition you shins/forearms? [Re: pathfinder7195]
eyrie Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: QLD, Australia
Sorry, Kevin, is name dropping supposed to mean something to me? I'm afraid I was boxing way long before what's-his-face you name dropped, so I'm not sure if that's supposed to mean anything significant to me.

I might be ignorant... perhaps.... but you're taking my statement out of context and twisting it to suit your argument.

I'd like to see how well you can condition your face though...

#235839 - 03/08/06 07:49 PM Re: Why do you condition you shins/forearms? [Re: eyrie]
pathfinder7195 Offline

Loc: T.C Michigan, U.S

I'd like to see how well you can condition your face though

Eyrie, my nose has been broken several times, this face conditioning thing I have given up on. Although I think my looks have improved because of it.

Mayweather is considered one of the fastest boxers ever. I think he is the wealterweight champ. He keeps jumping up in weight classes. His dad was also a pro boxer(Floyd Mayweather) pretty good in his day as well.

Kevin

#235840 - 03/09/06 01:08 AM Re: Why do you condition you shins/forearms? [Re: pathfinder7195]
Taison Offline
The Forum Dragon
Professional Poster

Loc: BKK, Thailand
Oy, guys, keep it friendly. This discussion is getting abit, Muay Thai'ish, in other words, aggressive.

As for Eyrie, I understand your posts quite well, but maybe you could re-phrase it so Mr.Kevin here can understand? I don't know, just working on some solution.

As for Kevin, please don't go around calling people ignorant. It's not a rule or anything, it's called manners and compassion for fellow human beings. Eyrie is entitled to his own opinion, and we can't shove it down his throat. Either he accepts it, or don't.

As for Mayweither, both of them, they are considered one of the best boxers that has existed. Damn they're fast.

-Taison out

#235841 - 03/09/06 07:30 AM Re: Why do you condition you shins/forearms? [Re: Taison]
eyrie Offline
Professional Poster

Well Taison, if you understand what I'm saying then, I mustn't be all that ignorant then... LOL.

OK, let me rephrase in simple terms, since it wasn't clear the first time. Conditioning to me means developing the body to operate at a higher level of (energy consumption and power generation) efficiency and performance. The primary purpose and direct benefit is overall health and well-being. The side effect is being able to take beating.

Your (Kevin) arguments lend weight to being able to take a beating (punishment) and outlast (going a few rounds with) the other guy, primarily. Same word, different definition. I'm not saying you're wrong. But you pushing your viewpoint on me, by pointing at my "ignorance" is lost on me.

Besides, I believe the topic is conditioning specific striking surfaces of the body to dish out punishment. I don't believe in that either. There's better and more sophisticated ways to do the same thing without disfigurement.

#235842 - 03/09/06 11:55 AM Re: Why do you condition you shins/forearms? [Re: eyrie]
Cord Offline
Prolific

Loc: Cambridge UK.
Well, shin conditioning for building up tolerance to pain from recieving and administering impact to another persons boney areas must be seen as a part of training if you are planning to compete in a discipline that requires it. Wouldnt be much point in hoping around making 'ouchey' noises after throwing your first kick would there?

Having said that, pain is a natural safety device designed to prevent some actions and the resultant harm they will cause. Anyone remember that clip of the guy's lower leg snapping upon kicking Lloyd Van Dames's leg a few years back? I would bet a days pay that the fighter whos leg developed that 'extra joint' had been experiencing problems with his leg for months prior to the fight, but had just worked through it till the structure was weakened to that point.

If you want to promote strong bones, then proper diet and a combination of regulated high impact exercise (running/skipping), and heavy resistance training (weights), is by far the best way to go about it. Whacking trees and such like may be good for the machismo and pain management, but will damage cause damage long term in the majority of cases.

#235843 - 03/09/06 08:32 PM Re: Why do you condition you shins/forearms? [Re: Taison]
pathfinder7195 Offline

Loc: T.C Michigan, U.S
Not a problem Taison. Sorry if I offeneded you Eyrie. I wish you guys the best in your training. I don't fight in the ring anymore and mainly do MA for health.

Kevin

#235844 - 03/09/06 11:44 PM Re: Why do you condition you shins/forearms? [Re: pathfinder7195]
eyrie Offline
Professional Poster

Hi Kevin, none given, none taken.

#235845 - 03/14/06 07:55 PM Re: Why do you condition you shins/forearms? [Re: eyrie]
wristtwister Offline
like a chiropractor, only evil

Loc: South Carolina
I think you condition what you can, and depend on skill to protect the rest. I don't know any eye-toughening exercises, or groin-toughening exercises, but I've had some aggressors to "draw back a nub" from trying to hit me there.

While there are exercises to tone most areas of the body, there are some places that you just have to defend completely against attack. I never trained to take a beating, but the flip side of my training would allow me to if necessary because I was in shape.

Years ago, I did a lot of contact fighting, and I still didn't take a beating. I did deliver some though, and I had more people quit from my blocking their attacks than from me attacking them. Using a good level of "punching irimi", you can beat the soup out of somebody with the simple philosophy that "if you stick it out, I'll hit it"... arms, legs, head... whatever you put out there, I'll punch it.

If that doesn't do anything else, it makes you punch and block quickly... if you leave it out there... it gets hit.

One of the tenants of that also is to keep hitting the same place every chance you get. I don't know anybody or any part of the body that can take continual shots on the same place and not end up losing the capacity to use whatever that place is... be it shin, elbow, forearm, or trunk of the body. Keep on hitting the same place with power... everything breaks with time.

The old Okinawan tournaments I was in were a perpetual kicking of the siatic nerve until someone couldn't use their legs, and then you could attack "in close" without danger of getting kicked.

#235846 - 03/14/06 08:31 PM Re: Why do you condition you shins/forearms? [Re: wristtwister]
eyrie Offline
Professional Poster

I think Cord said it best. If the training regime requires it, then do it.

Personally, I don't and have never had/felt the need to. I have on many occasions merely "tapped" someone in the right places (often repeatedly, from different angles, and in full flight) to stun or deaden the appendage (temporarily, of course). Or punched them lightly and have them drop instantly. Or even tapped them in places, in a specific sequence, to make them sick and want to throw up.

It's good fun when you can do it, but it does take a long time to develop that sort of ability without external conditioning methods (such as those requiring the use of dit-ta-jow). (OK, maybe that's not a lot of fun for the other person, when they get sick and feel like up chucking).

Don't mean to sound all Obi-wan-Kenobi like... but it's far more interesting for me working on the "energetic" level than external conditioning - for the very reasons you mention - you can't condition every part of your body, and even so, it's still susceptible to breaks from the continued abuse. However, I feel it's far easier to affect someone's energy levels than try to "block" a "conditioned" impacting surface.

When I look at the elderly gentleman, world-reknown, ex-MT fighter, running the kickboxing class next to mine, he's pretty much crippled, but no doubt can still do what he does, albeit not at any sort of competitive level. I just don't want to end up that way when I get to his age... thanks.

But if the training regime requires it, then I guess you have to do it. I'm merely questioning the long term utility of such methods.

#235847 - 03/15/06 01:23 AM Re: Why do you condition you shins/forearms? [Re: eyrie]
wristtwister Offline
like a chiropractor, only evil

Loc: South Carolina
I agree wholeheartedly. A little "love tap" on the right meridian and you can watch them pull up and start puking or go "night night". A well placed tap beats a badly placed beating every time.

We all learn through doing, and the Okinawan tournaments taught me that I didn't like having my siatic nerve kicked repeatedly. Training, conditioning, or whatever, it still hurt like hell, so I learned other ways to handle the problem. I guess that's called "motivation".

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Cord, MattJ, Reiki, Taison 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Ryukyu Art
Artifacts from the Ryukyu Kingdom missing since WWII. Visit www.ShisaLion.Org to view pictures

Best Stun Guns
Self Defense Products-stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and more

Surveillance 4U
Complete surveillance systems for covert operations or secure installation security

Asylum Images
Book presents photo tour of the Trans-Allegany Lunatic Asylum. A must if you're going to take a ghost tour!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga