FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 35 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SenseiGregT, sagat, JFawkes, pluckysaga39, sgtdemeo
22911 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Dobbersky 5
AndyLA 5
Ed_Morris 4
futsaowingchun 3
ergees 3
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
New Topics
2014 World Championships Chelyabinsk: The Gallery
by ergees
Today at 03:51 AM
Biu Tzu- Snake hand strike
by futsaowingchun
08/27/14 09:02 PM
Chum Kiu 2nd section applications
by futsaowingchun
08/20/14 09:54 PM
2013 World Championship Rio: The Gallery (HD)
by ergees
08/19/14 05:22 AM
Chi Sao demonstration
by futsaowingchun
08/14/14 10:57 PM
Decent Fight channel
by FrankyFruits
08/07/14 09:19 PM
2014 European Championships Cadets Athens: Videos
by ergees
08/07/14 10:00 AM
Life goes on....
by Dobbersky
08/07/14 05:59 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:14 AM
Recent Posts
2014 World Championships Chelyabinsk: The Gallery
by ergees
Today at 03:51 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by Zombie Zero
08/29/14 10:50 PM
mindfullness meditation
by log1call
08/28/14 02:39 AM
Biu Tzu- Snake hand strike
by futsaowingchun
08/27/14 09:02 PM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Ed_Morris
08/26/14 09:58 PM
The Karate punch
by Ed_Morris
08/26/14 09:27 PM
Chum Kiu 2nd section applications
by futsaowingchun
08/20/14 09:54 PM
2013 World Championship Rio: The Gallery (HD)
by ergees
08/19/14 05:22 AM
attacked from behind
by AndyLA
08/16/14 04:59 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by VDJ
08/15/14 05:46 PM
Forum Stats
22911 Members
36 Forums
35573 Topics
432484 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#235828 - 03/05/06 08:02 AM Re: Why do you condition you shins/forearms? [Re: Taison]
Dauragon c mikado Offline

Loc: Oxford, England
look what happened to these guys:
- one eye
- eyeless
- swollen eyes
- another one eye
- blind
- yet nother one eye
- lazy eye
- who knows?

#235829 - 03/05/06 08:36 PM Re: Why do you condition you shins/forearms? [Re: Taison]
pathfinder7195 Offline

Loc: T.C Michigan, U.S
Taison, you are correct conditioning does only work to a certain degree. But what's your point, your basically saying that if your technique is unable to stop everything than it is not worth practicing.

By the way I do have a degree in psychology. I had pro thais trying to kick my knees out it's not that easy. A kick to the knee is one of the most overrated fight stoppers out there. You seem to be obsessed with kicks to the knees thinking that they are the ultimate fight end-er.

So we know that conditioning has it's limits. I don't think that was a big revelation to anyone. So the question should be "does conditioning help you as a MA". Yes.

Kevin

#235830 - 03/06/06 03:15 AM Re: Why do you condition you shins/forearms? [Re: Taison]
eyrie Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: QLD, Australia
I'm with Andrew Green on this. Conditioning to take hits is just, well,... there are better things to do than stand and take a hit. That you can take a hit as a result of conditioning is by-the-by. Conditioning in the martial arts is for health and well-being. Its sole purpose is to allow you to perform at a higher level of "operational performance".

#235831 - 03/06/06 07:26 AM Re: Why do you condition you shins/forearms? [Re: pathfinder7195]
Taison Offline
The Forum Dragon
Professional Poster

Loc: BKK, Thailand
Quote:

But what's your point, your basically saying that if your technique is unable to stop everything than it is not worth practicing.

Oh! no! no! I meant that some people just go so far in their conditioning that just seem to think that their body is able to withstand everything. Somethings the body can't stand.

Quote:

I had pro thais trying to kick my knees out it's not that easy. A kick to the knee is one of the most overrated fight stoppers out there.

YEah, it's not an easy task trying to hit someone on the knee but it usually comes if you're a fast fighter.

Quote:

You seem to be obsessed with kicks to the knees thinking that they are the ultimate fight end-er.

I am obessed with sidekicks but ultimate fight ender? nah, my shining .38 is THE ultimate fight ender. On a more serious note, however, I used sidekicks to the knee as an example to where conditioning wouldn't help much. If I used, say, low kicks a'la MT, it's kinda useless against good conditioned legs whereas sidekicks are a lot better against the knee.

Quote:

So the question should be "does conditioning help you as a MA".

Yes. My grandpa used to say "It's better to have something and don't need it, than to need something but you don't have it."

Eyrie, again you awe me with your wisdom. Yes, MA this days should follow along the line of good health than to be a "fighting machine".

-Taison out

#235832 - 03/06/06 03:20 PM Re: Why do you condition you shins/forearms? [Re: Taison]
ShikataGaNai Offline
Veteran

Loc: Bellingham, WA
I think some of this thread is straying from the original point. No one hear is claiming that conditioning shins/forearms is intended to allow you to take shots
That would be kinda stupid. Conditioning these areas is essential because they are BLOCKING surfaces. Even if you don't compete, shin and forearm blocks hurt the uninitiated. Even with light contact drills, shin-to-shin can cause your nerves to sing an aria of pain. That said, I hope you all can see the value in it, even if you don't do it. And please note that none of us are trying to work our way up to bullet proof skin or anything!

#235833 - 03/06/06 08:22 PM Re: Why do you condition you shins/forearms? [Re: Taison]
pathfinder7195 Offline

Nice post Taison.

Eryie, Nobody does conditioning to stand there and take a hit. That is one of the biggest misconceptions about conditioning. If your body is well conditioned it allows you to give and receive more punishment, and in the ring you need to be able to take a lot of shots.

Kevin

#235834 - 03/06/06 11:45 PM Re: Why do you condition you shins/forearms? [Re: pathfinder7195]
eyrie Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: QLD, Australia
Perhaps you should read my post again, because I don't think that's what I said. You're taking it out of context. My comments were in response to the general thrust of Taison's post - which is conditioning parts of the body which make contact and by extension, take contact, vis-a-vis "Condition elsewhere it's just a waste of time" and "Unless you're going professional, I don't see the need to condition anything."

Quote:

Nobody does conditioning to stand there and take a hit. That is one of the biggest misconceptions about conditioning. If your body is well conditioned it allows you to give and receive more punishment, and in the ring you need to be able to take a lot of shots.

So, if you're "taking punishment", it means what? Correct me if I'm wrong, but if you get hit, and "take punishment" it generally means you're either not moving or moving too slowly to get off the line of attack or outside the range.

#235835 - 03/07/06 03:39 AM Re: Why do you condition you shins/forearms? [Re: eyrie]
ShikataGaNai Offline
Veteran

Loc: Bellingham, WA
This sure has turned into a big topic...
Where's those ratings at?!?!?

#235836 - 03/07/06 04:12 PM Re: Why do you condition you shins/forearms? [Re: eyrie]
pathfinder7195 Offline

Quote by Eyrie
Quote:

So, if you're "taking punishment", it means what? Correct me if I'm wrong, but if you get hit, and "take punishment" it generally means you're either not moving or moving too slowly to get off the line of attack or outside the range.

Eyrie if you ever stepped in the ring you are going to get hit. I trained at the same boxing gym as Floyd Mayweather Jr(undefeated), he would get hit. Ali with all his speed would get hit. Does that mean they were slow or couldn't get out of the way?. Your statement just shows the ignorance about conditioning. Your not always going to get out of the way of a attack. So why not be prepared by being properly conditioned. Conditioning does not make one slow.

Kevin

Edited by Taison (03/08/06 02:53 AM)

#235837 - 03/08/06 03:17 AM Re: Why do you condition you shins/forearms? [Re: eyrie]
Taison Offline
The Forum Dragon
Professional Poster

Loc: BKK, Thailand
Quote:

Kickboxer I have to tell you my biggest frustration. The ropes. I really hate them, the reason? It blocks my way when I try to dodge backwards. In the ring, moving away isn't much of an option, thus if you don't posses good parrying/blocking skill, you won't have much of a career as a ring-fighter.

As a kickboxer, it is one of my strategies to take and give more than was given. Many times "baiting" is needed to lure the opponent's attack. Sometime I will move into range and let them kick me so that I can go for the clinch, that is why conditioning is sometimes important.

Sometimes, one can win by solely blocking with their conditioned legs. If the opponent don't possess good conditioned legs, the blocker will tire out the aggressor.

-Taison out

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Cord, MattJ, Reiki, Taison 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Fight Videos
Night club fight footage and street fights captured with the world's first bouncer spy cam

How to Matrix!
Learn ten times faster with new training method. Learn entire arts for as little as $10 per disk.

Self Defense
Stun guns, pepper spray, Mace and self defense products. Alarms for personal and home use.

TASER MC26C
Stop An Urban Gorilla: Get 2 FREE TASER M26C Replacement Air Cartridges With Each New TASER M26C!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga