FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 49 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Shanktotheright, royal, bobgalle100011, agenonline, TooNice
22862 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
THEFOREVERMAN 3
MattJ 2
royal 2
Dobbersky 2
cxt 1
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
New Topics
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by Marcus Charles
03/24/14 04:39 PM
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by Dobbersky
03/20/14 05:45 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
AKK kata question
by
09/04/05 01:27 PM
Recent Posts
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by THEFOREVERMAN
04/16/14 08:22 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by THEFOREVERMAN
04/16/14 08:20 AM
AKK kata question
by MattJ
04/04/14 05:45 PM
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Forum Stats
22862 Members
36 Forums
35546 Topics
432378 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#235808 - 03/03/06 03:05 AM Why do you condition you shins/forearms?
Taison Offline
The Forum Dragon
Professional Poster

Loc: BKK, Thailand
Ripped it from another thread:

Quote:

Ok, to all you persistent martial artists out there. Before going on to conditioning let me ask you;

Why do you want to condition? Unless you're going professional, I don't see the need to condition anything. The best conditioning you can do is just work on the bag and with a sparring partner using pads and then a little full contact every now and then.

Ok, I hijacked the thread, but it's kinda odd that everyone except me wants to condition. I find it boring, slow and just a waste of my time when I could just go onto the bag. I mean, there's more conditioning if you can kick the bag for 30 minutes constantly than rolling a pipe on your leg for the same amount of time AND by kicking the bag you'll be conditioning the right part of your leg e.i. the part that makes contact. Condition elsewhere it's just a waste of time. Let me ask you again, would I ever kick you on the knee with my instep? If it's a sidekick, no matter how good the conditioning, you're knee's are GONE.

Ok, discuss!

-Taison out

#235809 - 03/03/06 03:43 AM Re: Why do you condition you shins/forearms? [Re: Taison]
BrianS Offline
Higher rank than you
Professional Poster

Loc: Northwest Arkansas
Ripped this from the other conditioning thread this post was ripped from.

Quote:

I could see doing shin conditioning if you are a competetion fighter,but if you aren't I think you are doing more harm than good.
My shins are well enough conditioned from sparring and kicking a heavy bag over the years.
My forehead ,however,needs work.

#235810 - 03/03/06 07:44 AM Re: Why do you condition you shins/forearms? [Re: BrianS]
Dauragon c mikado Offline

Loc: Oxford, England
Simply to become stronger.
Why do I want to become stronger? So Im not weak.
Why dont I want to be weak? Because I want to feel strong.
Why do I want to feel strong? So I dont feel weak.
Why dont I want to feel weak? Because the weak will die.
Why dont I wish to die? Because I want to become stronger.
Why do you want to become stonger?....

#235811 - 03/03/06 12:27 PM Re: Why do you condition you shins/forearms? [Re: Taison]
ShikataGaNai Offline
Veteran

Loc: Bellingham, WA
Well, for the most part because I CAN

But my reasons change constantly - if I were set on just kicking heavy bags for years and years, I probably wouldn't bother. However, I engage in contact sparring, sometimes without shin guards (this is usually only in MMA classes) and well, shin block freakin' hurt. I also avidly practice FMA which requires blocking sticks with shins/forearms sometimes. Even the knife tapping (forearm block and parry) drills hurt within a couple minutes to an unconditioned arm. I'm not a competitive type, but I do train with some very tough hombres who don't necessarily take it easy in sparring. That's just Chicago for you. So if I'm wasting my time conditioning... fine!

#235812 - 03/03/06 01:48 PM Re: Why do you condition you shins/forearms? [Re: Taison]
Uchinanchu Offline

Loc: Okinawa, Japan
Taison, please don't take this the wrong way, but for someone who has trained in MT as long as you have, I would think that you would already know why conditioning is an essential requirement to training. If you choose not to do it, that's your choice. It may be a waste of time to you, but it certainly is'nt for those of us who take our self defence seriously. And what do you mean by "going professional"? If you are referring to sport/ring fighting, then yes you should do conditioning drills. But even more so for those of us who do it strictly for self defence purposes.
There are individuals in this world that I pray no descent man will ever have to face. You throw your strongest kick, at such an individual, and not only does your leg bounce off with no effect to him, but it felt like you just kicked a telephone pole. You block his incoming strikes and realize that your hurting yourself more than him. This man is not going to play nice and hit you in just your conditioned areas either (ie.the part of the shin that you kick with.)
I have three personal reasons for doing the so-called "Waste of time training" they are my lovely wife and two children. Is that good enough a reason to be prepared?

#235813 - 03/03/06 02:36 PM Re: Why do you condition you shins/forearms? [Re: Uchinanchu]
TwistingKick Offline

Loc: UK (oxford)
Quote:

There are individuals in this world that I pray no descent man will ever have to face. You throw your strongest kick, at such an individual, and not only does your leg bounce off with no effect to him, but it felt like you just kicked a telephone pole. You block his incoming strikes and realize that your hurting yourself more than him.

No offence, but either you don't have very good kicks or you are aiming your kicks at the wrong areas of the body.
Very few men can take a full power kick to the groin, i don't care how big they are.

The only people i can think of that would possibly (??) have a body conditioned enough to take your full power strikes with no effect at all (!!) are MArtists with a lot of dedication, most of whom would know by then not to use it.

p.s. this does not mean i completely disagre with conditioning

#235814 - 03/03/06 02:48 PM Re: Why do you condition you shins/forearms? [Re: Uchinanchu]
ShikataGaNai Offline
Veteran

Loc: Bellingham, WA
Quote:

This man is not going to play nice and hit you in just your conditioned areas either (ie.the part of the shin that you kick with.)

Um, even the people I do play nice with don't kick at that part. That's why you condition it - so YOU can USE IT to BLOCK
ps - Taison didn't write that himself, he quoted it.

#235815 - 03/03/06 02:54 PM Re: Why do you condition you shins/forearms? [Re: Taison]
bo-ken Offline
Veteran

Loc: beaver falls, PA, beaver
I condition my forearms by conditioning the muscles in them. I need to have strong forearms for blocking. As far as my shins go heavy bag is enough for me.

#235816 - 03/03/06 04:08 PM Re: Why do you condition you shins/forearms? [Re: Uchinanchu]
Supremor Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: UK
Quote:

There are individuals in this world that I pray no descent man will ever have to face. You throw your strongest kick, at such an individual, and not only does your leg bounce off with no effect to him, but it felt like you just kicked a telephone pole. You block his incoming strikes and realize that your hurting yourself more than him. This man is not going to play nice and hit you in just your conditioned areas either (ie.the part of the shin that you kick with.)

In that case, I doubt any level of conditioning will help you- my advice is to run. I have met guys like this(none of them aggressive), one had the nickname "concrete". He once took a few punches from an ameteur boxer and hardly flinched and my word does he hit hard! Such guys are not worth trying to defend yourself against, the only possible course of action is to run.

#235817 - 03/03/06 04:27 PM Re: Why do you condition you shins/forearms? [Re: ShikataGaNai]
TwistingKick Offline

Loc: UK (oxford)
Quote:

ps - Taison didn't write that himself, he quoted it.

Sorry but Taison did write it : Taison quote

edit: In fact it was in a thread that you started on shin conditioning.

Edited by TwistingKick (03/03/06 04:30 PM)

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Cord, MattJ, Reiki, Taison 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Fight Videos
Night club fight footage and street fights captured with the world's first bouncer spy cam

How to Matrix!
Learn ten times faster with new training method. Learn entire arts for as little as $10 per disk.

Self Defense
Stun guns, pepper spray, Mace and self defense products. Alarms for personal and home use.

TASER MC26C
Stop An Urban Gorilla: Get 2 FREE TASER M26C Replacement Air Cartridges With Each New TASER M26C!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga