FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 40 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
old1, Leonar, ManLar, Vimido, raya
22925 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
futsaowingchun 3
Ronin1966 3
GojuRyuboy13 2
AndyLA 1
Victor Smith 1
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
New Topics
The Classic Pak Sao drill
by futsaowingchun
10/20/14 10:32 AM
wing chun kicks and knees
by futsaowingchun
10/09/14 12:55 AM
2014 European Championships Juniors: the Gallery
by ergees
10/05/14 10:56 AM
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
09/30/14 12:10 AM
Living a full life violence free...
by GojuRyuboy13
09/25/14 08:50 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Leo's Judo Journal
by Leo_E_49
01/24/12 02:58 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by
05/13/07 08:02 AM
Recent Posts
Living a full life violence free...
by GojuRyuboy13
10/22/14 07:20 AM
The Classic Pak Sao drill
by futsaowingchun
10/20/14 10:32 AM
Leo's Judo Journal
by swordy
10/11/14 09:21 AM
The Karate punch
by Ronin1966
10/09/14 03:16 PM
wing chun kicks and knees
by futsaowingchun
10/09/14 12:55 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Ronin1966
10/08/14 09:22 PM
2014 European Championships Juniors: the Gallery
by ergees
10/05/14 10:56 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by AndyLA
10/04/14 10:20 AM
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
09/30/14 12:10 AM
Forum Stats
22925 Members
36 Forums
35582 Topics
432510 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#235458 - 03/15/06 11:04 AM Re: Judo or Aikido (Please vote for one) [Re: honourah]
kusojiji Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: kokokokokoko
I wanna add a write-in vote for wrestling!
Optional signature you may use to appear at bottom of your posts. Note: The Signature feature is currently not enabled by this bulletin board's administrator. You may use UBB Code in this field, but not HTML. The UBB Code Image tag is not permitted, however.

#235459 - 03/15/06 10:00 PM Re: Judo or Aikido (Please vote for one) [Re: honourah]
OneInchPunchMaster Offline

Loc: England
Quote:

I really wanna no witch ones better because I quite jujitsu so I can focus on a martial art more focus on grappling and arm locks

Rickson by armbar.

#235460 - 05/08/06 10:31 PM Re: Judo or Aikido (Please vote for one) [Re: OneInchPunchMaster]
JadedDragon Offline
Stranger

Loc: US, North Carolina
I may be unqualified to answer this, but Aikido's arm bars and joint lokcs are almost all done in an upright position where you are not entangled with your opponent. This is done under the pretense that there is more than one attacker and that paying too much attention to one person may leave an opportunity for others to attack you. Jujitsu is much more ground based locks and chokes. I have noticed that Aikido locks seem to take more finesse while you can sort of dog it through Jujitsu. And yes, quiting Jujitsu to learn judo does seem redundant.

#235461 - 05/09/06 03:06 AM Re: Judo or Aikido (Please vote for one) [Re: honourah]
Chanters Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Manchester, UK
Most judo dojo's now practice with the sport in mind, so you go for point scoring rather than practical application. In reality, personally I would not like to go to the ground and get tangled up with any attacker. I also believe weight and strength is an advantage in judo whereas aikido they really play no part. Although I said judo seems to be more sport orientated, I do believe you can still apply it practically. The balance taking technique's are excellent and to carry out these techniques especially on someone who doesn't practice judo, it is very easy to cause them to lose balance and fall.

I'm not going to say which is better because I think both arts are amazing. If you want to focus more on grappling and arm locks, why did you quit jujitsu? If the dojo you currently go to train doesn't incorporate these elements maybe you should try another dojo in your area. Furthermore you will not learn grappling in aikido. We throw our attacker and then look for the opportunity to escape, to get away from the attack.

PS. How long have you been studying jujitsu?

#235462 - 05/11/06 08:11 PM Re: Judo or Aikido (Please vote for one) [Re: Chanters]
bin Offline

Loc: NJ, USA
I don't mean to be an ass but this is my honest opinion. A lot of Aikido seems to be unrealistic. *braces for ultra-flaming* Let me explain why:

1. Am I suggesting Hapkido is bad too? No. Hapkido has what Aikido lacks. Hapkido has a comprehensive striking program as well as low kicks, sweeps, and takedowns. Aikido does none of these.

2. Aikido's "circle of energy" thingie or whatever the theory used to throw people with a flick of a wrist can be applicable but at times seems to be farfetched. Aikido's "circles" are too large. Smaller circles such as the ones found in Aikido's predecessor, Aikijujitsu or even Hapkido are more practical.

3. This is just me but I always picture Aikidokas as these peaceful people. Is there anything wrong with peaceful people? Quite the contrary.. But reality is that in a fight, aggression is key. Aikido seems to be lacking in the aggressive offensive attacks department.

me if you wish..

#235463 - 05/12/06 02:50 AM Re: Judo or Aikido (Please vote for one) [Re: bin]
Chanters Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Manchester, UK
Quote:

Aikido's "circles" are too large. Smaller circles such as the ones found in Aikido's predecessor

Quote:

Aikido seems to be lacking in the aggressive offensive attacks department.

It is apparent with the comments you have written, that you lack any knowledge and experience in aikido.

#235464 - 05/12/06 03:16 AM Re: Judo or Aikido (Please vote for one) [Re: bin]
xuzen_628 Offline
Unknown MA champion

Loc: Malaysia
You are right Bin, a lot of aikido, and a lot of other MA for that matter are unrealistic. Now, let's forget about the a lot (en masse) of useless crap and focus on the not so a lot aikido which is more realistic.

The big circular thingy is over-rated, it is the form to teach new students the feeling of blending with the attacker. Attacker does not wish to blend? Fine, we SHOMEN-ATE the guy.

Aikido are peaceful people? Of course we are, why do you make it sound like it is a bad thing to have?

In a fight, is aggression the key to victory? Perhaps it is, but remember passivity is also a weapon too... Gandhi showed the world how his passive resistant ideas brought the British Overlords to their knees.

Well, I am in opinion, that in a fight, a controlled emotion, i.e., one which is not aggressive nor passive is the best. When you are clouded by emotion, you cannot make the split decision needed to win.

Oh BTW, if we want to be offensive, we get our little stick known as jo.

Xwf

#235465 - 05/12/06 04:20 PM Re: Judo or Aikido (Please vote for one) [Re: xuzen_628]
dud Offline

I think that it will rely only in personīs tastes.

For example.From my own bio. I was the worst Judoka of my team for years. I just couldnīt understand this system. I was pretty bad. I was very thin and in the kind of sport - Judo we were making, strenght wss the key factor to win, So I was usually defeated by stronger guys UNTIL..

the day I started to do Aikido and Ju Jutsu. Suddenly I was (surprisingly to myself and for my friends)... good at this And AFTER knowing Aikido and having a Black belt in both Aikido and Ju Jutsu, it has been always very pleasant and funny for me to make Judo. I like it a lot NOW. Because Aikido helped me to understand from Judo what I couldnīt understand while being a pure Sport Judoka.

The opposite case: my son. He is 7 and I have always been interested in teaching him how to defend himself. I made him to take Karate clases. No interest. Bullied.

He took Ju Jitsu and Aikido clases. No interest. Bullied.

He took TKD classes. 0 interest. really bullied LOL.

He took Self Defense lessons (Dirty Fighting techniques). He became a little devil with adults, but he didnīt want to fight in school because he donīt want to injure other kids. Result: bullied.

Finally, dispaired, I made him, to take Judo (with not too much hope) and VOILÁ!

Self Esteem in heaven; ''Dad, now I do know WHAT I REALLY LIKE'', stopped the bullies with their ases kicked, etc. He found WHAT he likes, and he likes Judo, no Aikido.

Is Judo then best for kids? I donīt think so.

Which is better at the end? The one who suits YOU. Which one you like more? This is the best FOR YOU.

Is my opinion. OK?
Dud

#235466 - 05/22/06 06:05 PM Re: Judo or Aikido (Please vote for one) [Re: dud]
IExcalibui2 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: New York City
i dunno Ju-jutsu has a pretty good amount of grappling and tons of armlocks. Though most of its done on the ground. I mean if you want a more stand up then Aikido and Judo would help more. Though Ju-do is very similar to Ju-Jutsu except it being less brutal and alot of gentle. Aikido is also on the soft side, its kinda like Japanese Taichi, though I dont want to lable it like that. Its a soft art which emphasizes using the opponents strength to your advantage. Judo follows the same idea but its definitely more "hard" than Aikido.

Anyhow, honestly I think you should stick with Ju-jutsu because grappling and armbars are too common of a thing between these 3 arts and in my opinion Ju-jutsu would contain the most grappling.

#235467 - 05/22/06 08:51 PM Re: Judo or Aikido (Please vote for one) [Re: IExcalibui2]
wristtwister Offline
like a chiropractor, only evil

Loc: South Carolina
I started out in Judo and Karate at the same time, and loved both of them. As I trained further, I kept up with them both, and finally was introduced to jujutsu, which I also loved. Twenty years passed, and I met someone who was actually trained by one of Ueshiba's ukes, so I started Aikido, and I love it as well, after training in it for 20 years.

I don't know if there's an "art for children" in any of what I've trained in, but I think that Judo offers children a chance to learn some good body mechanics skills that help them with balance in everything else they do. I trained both my sons until they were teenagers, but neither of them had the "burning desire" to do martial arts, so they've dropped out and stopped training.

If somebody's not interested in what they're doing, it doesn't matter if you're dipping them in gold... they won't see the value in it. Fortunately, I liked it all... and every time I started something new, it just reinforced what I already knew and gave me more inspiration to go further.

Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Ames, Cord, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Ryukyu Art
Artifacts from the Ryukyu Kingdom missing since WWII. Visit www.ShisaLion.Org to view pictures

Best Stun Guns
Self Defense Products-stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and more

Surveillance 4U
Complete surveillance systems for covert operations or secure installation security

Asylum Images
Book presents photo tour of the Trans-Allegany Lunatic Asylum. A must if you're going to take a ghost tour!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga