FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 22 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
LeroyCFischer, JadeKing, Beefcake, WesJones, simonajones111
22933 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
charlie 2
futsaowingchun 2
Zombie Zero 1
harlan 1
Matakiant 1
November
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
New Topics
unrecognized kata
by William_Bent
11/19/14 07:05 PM
I gained a lot of month in the last few months
by simonajones111
11/19/14 04:54 AM
Siu Lin Tao-3rd section applications
by futsaowingchun
11/13/14 06:48 PM
Screen fighting course UK December 2014
by charlie
11/11/14 04:09 PM
Siu Lin Tao-1st section Pak Sao explanations
by futsaowingchun
11/09/14 10:30 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
MA style video library
by
03/22/06 03:18 PM
Recent Posts
unrecognized kata
by William_Bent
11/19/14 07:05 PM
I gained a lot of month in the last few months
by simonajones111
11/19/14 04:54 AM
Siu Lin Tao-3rd section applications
by futsaowingchun
11/13/14 06:48 PM
Screen fighting course UK December 2014
by charlie
11/11/14 04:09 PM
MA style video library
by charlie
11/11/14 04:05 PM
Siu Lin Tao-1st section Pak Sao explanations
by futsaowingchun
11/09/14 10:30 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/29/14 10:01 PM
Forum Stats
22933 Members
36 Forums
35589 Topics
432521 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#234938 - 02/28/06 12:14 AM Kickboxing Styles!
Taison Offline
The Forum Dragon
Professional Poster

Loc: BKK, Thailand
I'm going to put up a little information on the kickboxing styles such as Yaw-yan, Savate, Xanda, KB and MT.

If you got any information, pm me and I'll read through it. If it's good, I'll sticky it for new members to come so we don't get the daily "What's Savate?".

Thanks for your help in advance.

-Taison out

#234939 - 02/28/06 07:47 AM Re: Kickboxing Styles! [Re: Taison]
Taison Offline
The Forum Dragon
Professional Poster

Savate
Savate (pronounced /sæ'væt/), also known as boxe française (French boxing) or French kickboxing, is a French martial art which uses both the hands and feet as weapons and contains elements of western boxing, grappling and graceful kicking techniques (only foot kicks are allowed, with no use of the knees, shins or tibia). Practitioners of savate are called savateurs (men), and savateuses (women).

Savate takes its name from the French for old boot (heavy footwear used to be worn during fights). The modern formalized form is mainly an amalgam of French street fighting techniques from the beginning of the 19th century[1]. At that time, savate was a type of street fighting common in Paris and the north of France. And in the south, especially in the port of Marseille, sailors had developed a form of fighting involving high kicks, which was known as jeu marseillais (game from Marseille), which was later renamed chausson (slipper, after the type of shoes sailors wore). In contrast, at this time in England (the home of boxing and the Queensberry rules), kicking was seen as unsportsmanlike or as something that only cowards would resort to.

The two key historical figures in the history of the shift from street fighting to the modern sport of savate are Michel Casseux (also known as "le Pisseux") (1794-1869), and Charles Lecour (1808-1894). Casseux opened the first establishment in 1825 for practicing and promoting a regulated version of chausson and savate (disallowing head butting, gouging etc). However the sport had not yet managed to shake off its reputation as a street fighting technique. A pupil of Casseux's, Charles Lecour was exposed to the English art of boxing around 1830 and felt that he was at a disadvantage, only using his hands to bat his opponent's feet away, rather than punching. He trained in boxing for two years before, in 1832, combining boxing with chausson and savate to create the sport of savate boxe française as we know it today.

Modern codified savate provides for three levels of competition: assaut, pre-combat, and combat. Assaut requires the competitors to focus on their technique while still making contact; referees assign penalties for the use of excessive force. Pre-combat allows for full-strength fighting so long as the fighters wear protective gear such as helmets and shinguards. Combat, the most intense level, is the same as pre-combat, but protective gear other than groin protection and mouthguards is prohibited.

In competition savate, or 'Boxe Francaise', there are two tiers of scoring, aggression and accuracy, and also style and control. This means that if a fighter uses only basic strikes, but they land effectivley, they may only draw the round if their oponent attempts imaginative and challenging attacks/combos, even if at the expense of successful clean contact.

All kicks must be landed with the boot/foot as the striking body part. Any kicks that impact using the shin do not score, and if deemed to be on purpose, can result in point deduction.
There is no clinching or trapping/catching of the legs allowed whatsoever.

'Savate Defence' is still also taught. This is close to the root of Savate and includes kicking with the shins (more powerfull), use of the knees/elbows/head, and clinch and throw work.

Terminology
http://www.savate.org/terminology.htm

-Taison out

Edited by Taison (03/01/06 02:59 AM)

#234940 - 02/28/06 07:57 AM Re: Kickboxing Styles! [Re: Taison]
Taison Offline
The Forum Dragon
Professional Poster

Xanda (San Shou)
Sport San Shou utilizes striking, kicking and wrestling but not "submission" ("Na") and/or ground grappling. Originally, elbows and knees were utilized in inter-military San Shou competition but they have been removed from the international sport version which was established in 1991 with the first world championships. In 1997, the first attempts were made both in China and in the United States to establish professional San Shou matches conducted in a manner similar to other kickboxing styles such as Muay Thai. Matches are conducted without the protective gear (without headgear, shin guards and the chest protector) and are held in a boxing ring. The Chinese often refer to professional San Shou as "San Da" an older term which was originally used to describe full contact fighting. Professional San Shou/San Da has grown incredibly over the last three years and professional San Shou fighters have recently fought successfully in the K-1 kickboxing promotion and in the Japan Shootboxing Association (JSA).

Another Description
San Shou is the official full contact fighting sport of modern Wushu which is rapidly growing in popularity both in the US and abroad. As an integral part of most Wushu competitions, San Shou has been an important event at the World Wushu Championships since its inception in 1991. Presently San Shou competitions are held in over 75 countries world wide. Recently San Shou has also become a professional sport in America.

The word "San Shou" also spelled "Sanda" translates as "unbound hand" and refers to free fighting where the rules are designed to most accurately simulate actual combat. San Shou matches are fought on a raised platform called the "Lei Tai". Historically, the Lei Tai dates back centuries in China where challenge matches were fought both bare handed and also with weapons with no rules—often resulting in death or serious injury. At the National Chinese tournament in Nanking in 1928, the fights on the Lei Tai were so brutal that the final 12 contestants were not permitted to fight for fear of killing off some of the great masters of the time. So changes were needed.

Modern San Shou developed into a sport about the same time as modern Wushu during the 1960’s by the Chinese Government. In order to define a standard kung fu fighting style, the great masters from all over China were given the task of organizing the huge heritage of Chinese martial arts in to a system of rules in which different styles could complete. Protective equipment was also added to further reduce the risk of serious injury.

The rules of San Shou allow for a wide array of full contact punching, kicking, takedowns and throws derived from the traditional application of Chinese martial arts. Finishing hold (chokes, arm locks etc.) have been excluded from the rules which forces the fight to continue at a fast pace. San Shou addresses the three ranges of fighting—kicking, punching and grappling which adds great realism to the sport. A fighter can win by a knockout or by points, points are also awarded for the techniques according to effectiveness. In a tournament, you fight for 2 rounds of 2 minutes each, plus a third round in case the first 2 score even. Forcing the opponent off of the platform is also a major technique of San Shou. It is a mistake to think of San Shou as just Kick Boxing because the strategies of San Shou are very different.

There is a now a saying is China: San Shou shi Wushu de Jinghua—
San Shou is the quintessence of Wushu.

-Taison out

#234941 - 02/28/06 08:03 AM Re: Kickboxing Styles! [Re: Taison]
Taison Offline
The Forum Dragon
Professional Poster

Lethwei
Lethwei or Lethawae also known as Burmese Boxing and Myanma Traditional Boxing is a form of kickboxing originated from Myanmar. Lethwei is in many ways similar to its sibling Muay Thai from neighboring Thailand. If Thai Boxing is the science of 8 limbs then Lethwei is the science of 9 limbs due to the allowance of head butts. There are records recording Lethwei style matches dating back to the Pyu empire in Burma.

Participants fight without gloves only wrapping their hands in hemp or gauze cloth; rules are similar to Muay Thai but allow and encourage all manner of takedowns along with head butts. Traditionally held outdoors in sandpits instead of rings but in modern times are now held in rings. Popular technique in Lethwei include leg kicks, knees, elbows, head butts, raking knuckle strikes, and ballistic takedowns.

Matches traditionally would go until a fighter can no longer continue. If a knockout occurs, the boxer is revived and has the option of continuing; as a result, defense, conditioning, and learning to absorb punishment are very important. Burmese boxers spend a great deal of time preparing the body to absorb impact and conditioning their weapons to dish it out. Matches today are carried out in both the traditional manner and a more modern offshoot started in 1996, the Myanma Traditional boxing. The modern style has changed to make the contests more of an organized sport under the government's organization. The goal seems to be to make it a more marketable sport similar to Muay Thai.

Many of the ethnic groups within Burma have their own variant of the indigenous martial arts giving them sometimes distinctly different styles of Lethwei that make for exciting action packed matches.

The Kachin variant of Lethwei is referred to as soft (relaxed). There is very little wasted motion or effort. Lethwei matches usually start in long range with kicks to the legs and raking punches to the face in an effort to draw blood as matches continue the fighters end up in the in the clinch and the primary weapons used are standing grappling with various takedowns and sweeps along with the preferred finishing weapons of head-butts, elbows, and knees. The Kachin Practitioner generally prefers to fight from the clinch and tends not to fall after missing with a long distance strike opting to follow low line kicks and raking punches into close range.

If the sport is viewed in the context of preparing one for individual combat you can see that it not only teaches timing, distance, and movement but also the ability to absorb and deliver punishment thereby winning a war of attrition. The goal is not so much the winning and losing but fighting hard and learning lessons about survival.

-Taison out

#234942 - 02/28/06 08:10 AM Re: Kickboxing Styles! [Re: Taison]
Taison Offline
The Forum Dragon
Professional Poster

Full-Contact Karate
Full contact karate has many different derivatives but two main fundamental styles. One is similar to other competition karate where targets are specified and a clear strike to that target gain a full or half point. The blows are delivered with full contact, although heavy padding is often worn and in some cases body armour is also worn. The fight is stopped while points are awarded.

The other, and some would say more 'hardcore' form of full-contact, is known as knockdown karate. This style of fighting was pioneered by the Kyokushinkai, founded by Masutatsu Oyama. In fighting the competitors have no or minimal shin padding and no body protection other than groin guards. Face punching and groin and joint attacks are prohibited but all bare-knuckle strikes to the body, thigh kicks, body kicks, head and face kicks are permitted, as are sweeps. Score is only made by knocking your opponent to the floor, or incapacitating them, or by sweep and controlled follow-up for half a point. Most other karate styles that originated in Kyokushin are also knockdown styles. A few other styles such as Kansuiryu Karate are also knockdown style, but originated independently of Kyokushin.

Rules
These are rules used in American Full Contact Karate. Opponents are allowed to hit each other with fists and feet, striking above the hip. Using elbows or knees is forbidden and the use of the shins is seldom allowed. This is in contrast to Muay Thai where the use of elbows and knees are allowed; in fact some Muay Thai practitioners consider kickboxing a "watered down" version of Muay Thai. Fighters and promoters can agree to various rules including kicks only above the waist, kicks anywhere, no knee strikes, knees only to the body, and so on.

Bouts are usually 3 to 12 rounds (lasting 2 - 3 minutes each) for amateur and professional contests with a 1-minute rest in between rounds. The round durations and the number of rounds can vary depending on the stipulations agreed to before hand by each fighter or manager. A winner is declared during the bout if there is a submission (fighter quits or fighter's corner throws in the towel), knockout (KO), or referee stoppage (Technical Knock Out, or TKO). If all of the rounds expire with no knockout then the fight is scored by a team of 3 judges. The judges determine a winner based on their scoring of each round. A split decision indicates a disagreement between the judges, while a unanimous decision indicates that all judges saw the fight the same way and all have declared the same winner.

OH! If you have any additional information, please reply or PM me.

-Taison out

#234943 - 02/28/06 08:21 AM Re: Kickboxing Styles! [Re: Taison]
Taison Offline
The Forum Dragon
Professional Poster

Sayaw ng Kamatayan (Yaw Yan)
It sounds Chinese, the movements slightly resemble that of Thai-Boxing and Korea's Tae-kwon-do but the origin is strictly Filipino. Yaw-Yan is billed as the Philippine's most lethal martial art.

Yaw-Yan was designed for Filipino fighter; (height doesn't matter) it is specially invented for small Filipinos to fight against big and heavy opponents. The originator creates these martial arts in consonant with Filipinos culture; the organization, food, uniform attitude and others.

Yaw-Yan is considered as one of the world's latest form of Martial Arts considering that it was originated only in Manila year 1972. A Yaw-Yan fighter utilizes the strength of his opponent against him through leading techniques, The Master called it "NON-RESISTANT" martial arts meaning no blocking are involved at all. This is simply redirecting your opponent energy to your favor, Yaw-Yan specialized to disarm knives, guns and stick in a spilt second without the use of force using the arms and legs as the weapon.

Yaw-Yan is a serious graceful performing art that requires an incredible amount of concentration for lightning speed movements. It is expressive and requires great focus, it is systematic fighting art, realistic, energetic, complete and practical. In essence, it is sophisticated form of street fighting. It has its own original style and not copied to any Martial Art. It is ultimately a highly develop personal spirituality and physique.

Yaw-Yan mortal combatant is like a wind, alive, quick, fast, free and formless. Throwing perfect lightning punches and kicks from all angles. The hands and legs techniques are derive from stick and baton movement. Yaw-Yan fighter can dominate and maintain control over his opponent with his quick reaction and relentless foot/hand fighting combinations to various part of the anatomy. The effectiveness defends on split-second timing and reflexive action which can be achieved only through repetitious practice.

Contrary to most popular belief, Yaw-Yan is not purely a full-contact no-holds barred sport martial arts. It is a complete martial training with body-mind coordination and test of enduring indomitable spirit. More than just physical training, it also involves the mental disciplines of focus, concentration, alertness, flexibility, stamina, speed and continuity. Students train for real confrontation and actual fights ~ on or off the ring. Advanced Disciples have to go through a rigorous ritual of practice and discipline consisting of actual full-contact sparring, bag hitting, mind fighting and flexibility exercises. The Elbows (siko), knees (tuhod), and shin (lulod) are utilized in much the same way as in Muay Thai. Yaw-Yan practitioners have to learn 40 basic kicks, advanced disciples have to be able to execute and apply complexes advanced kicks requiring great dexterity, flexibility, and mastery. Most of these advanced kicks are trick kicks which always caught unsuspecting opponents by surprise.

Yaw-Yan practitioners are also adopt with Philippine bladed weaponries as balisong and bolo. Bladed weapons are mere extensions of the hands. The forearm strikes, elbows, punches, dominating palms, and hand movements are empty-hand translations of the bladed weapons. There are 12 bolo punches which were patterned from Arnis, the Philippines' very own armed art. These punches have continuous fluid striking motion quite similar to western boxing but incorporating the art of Arnis. Grappling, ground-fighting, and knife-fighting had always been a part of the Philippines' martial art and are always incorporated during the Yaw-Yan practice period.

-Taison out (Edited and took out the art-bashing stuff)

#234944 - 02/28/06 08:30 AM Re: Kickboxing Styles! [Re: Taison]
Taison Offline
The Forum Dragon
Professional Poster

Boxing
If you don't know what Boxing is let me give you a hint. . .

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boxing

-Taison out

Edited by MattJ (02/28/06 08:40 AM)

#234945 - 02/28/06 08:53 AM Re: Kickboxing Styles! *DELETED* *DELETED* [Re: Taison]
TwistingKick Offline

Loc: UK (oxford)
Post deleted by Taison

Edited by Taison (02/28/06 09:00 AM)

#234946 - 02/28/06 09:04 AM Re: Kickboxing Styles! [Re: TwistingKick]
Taison Offline
The Forum Dragon
Professional Poster

HAHAH! You're the first person to feel the sharp edge of my WHACKING STICK.

Now a little bit explanation. Wouldn't it be neater if I just put all the styles in one thread? *cough* Krav Maga Forum *cough*

Second thing, I am not abusing my power as a Mod and I am trying to use my power to benefit the forum. I follow the policy of prevention instead of cure. I don't want to log in every single day to answer "What is . . .?". Thus, this thread.

1st whack Twister Second time, it'll be twice!

-Taison out
For those who want to know the result of three timers =

#234947 - 02/28/06 10:55 AM Re: Kickboxing Styles! [Re: Taison]
TwistingKick Offline

Loc: UK (oxford)
I'll be good

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Cord, MattJ, Reiki, Taison 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Stun Guns
Variety of stun gun devices for your protection

Buy Pepper Spray
Worry about your family when you’re not around? Visit us today to protect everything you value.

Koryu.com
Accurate information on the ancient martial traditions of the Japanese samurai

C2 Taser
Protect yourself and loved ones from CRIME with the latest C2 Taser citizen model. Very effective.

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga