FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 46 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Shanktotheright, royal, bobgalle100011, agenonline, TooNice
22862 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
THEFOREVERMAN 3
royal 2
Dobbersky 2
MattJ 2
Marcus Charles 1
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
New Topics
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by Marcus Charles
03/24/14 04:39 PM
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by Dobbersky
03/20/14 05:45 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
AKK kata question
by
09/04/05 01:27 PM
Recent Posts
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by THEFOREVERMAN
04/16/14 08:22 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by THEFOREVERMAN
04/16/14 08:20 AM
AKK kata question
by MattJ
04/04/14 05:45 PM
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Forum Stats
22862 Members
36 Forums
35546 Topics
432378 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 2 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#233507 - 02/24/06 03:19 PM Re: Punishments from a Sensei [Re: Kysogkram]
Prizewriter Offline
Professional Poster

"Discipline isnít punishment... Discipline should come from love. Punishment comes from hatred. Children have to be guided with care and love, not with an abusive heart."

Master TaeJoon Lee

#233508 - 02/24/06 03:40 PM Re: Punishments from a Sensei [Re: Prizewriter]
oldman Offline
Professional Poster

I honestly don't remember ever punishing a student, or seeing my teacher punishing one.

#233509 - 02/24/06 04:44 PM Re: Punishments from a Sensei [Re: oldman]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Loc: York PA. USA
Oldman -

Are you serious? Geez, for a while there in the beginning, I was starting to think my full name was "Mr. Jansson Give Me Twenty Pushups."

But no 45 minute lectures or anything like that.

#233510 - 02/24/06 06:05 PM Re: Punishments from a Sensei [Re: Prizewriter]
McSensei Offline
Veteran

Loc: Kent, England
Yep, agree with that.
I like what Shihan John King (Gavins Dad)calls the dojo setup...
"...a loving dictatorship."
Which leads to...

..Oldman, I find that quite an extraordinary claim.
Are you saying that in all of the classes that you have trained at, there has never been an enforcement of discilpline using some kind of exercise "punishment"?

#233511 - 02/24/06 08:53 PM Re: Punishments from a Sensei [Re: McSensei]
wolfman Offline

My first sensei thought he was a Marine DI. Hour long phsycial drill punishments was the way he tought he had control. To be honest I never seen it help with the promblems. If anyting it only made it worst. In my school if a student is in trouble we go to the office to talk. Good talks are in front of the class, bad are in the office. Phyical punishment are the floor almost never happen, and the few time it has it's short and not carried to excess.

All in all I think there are better ways to handle students then by the sensei losing control of his templer

#233512 - 02/24/06 09:57 PM Re: Punishments from a Sensei [Re: McSensei]
oldman Offline
Professional Poster

McSensei,
I'm really trying to think of situations like you are discribing. Certainly not inrecent years. I had something happen to me in 1979 if that counts. I was attending a class at a TKD school. I do not even remember the teachers name. It was in Champagne Illinois. During the class (which happened to be my first) the teacher was demonstrating a technique. As I listened I put my hands on my hips. He wheeled around striking down on both my forearms with his fists. DIIIISSSRESPCT!!! he bellowed. I had no idea that that was considered disrepectful nor had I been informed. I was also told not to speak to the instructor. I was to ask any questions to more experienced students. It was my first and last class under that instructor.
I'm very easy going as an instructor. People can usually tell by my demeanor if it is time to get serious. What kind of thing does a student do that they would need to be punished?

#233513 - 02/25/06 12:23 AM Re: Punishments from a Sensei [Re: ShorinjiSeisan]
Ronin1966 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: East Coast, United States
ShorinjiSeisan:

Immediately, period.

This is literally a "no brainer" issue. I am a grown up, and study by informed choice. There are many ways to teach and unfortunately the militant-infantile is one method sadly regarded as being "appropriate" in some places....

If the instruction is FEAR based at its core ... that is not genuine learning... that is survival. They are similar but very different creatures. Discipline is a group imposed basically a "fear" environment. SELF-DISCIPLINE is a choice which individuals make and choose to follow as a group.

The first moment a teacher "punishes me" without severe and extraordinary CAUSE... one should leave! You are not there to be punished, you are there to learn. I do not learn from an infallible demigod, I learn from myself, my classmates, and our instructor. There are appropriate methods and methods used by angry, mentally unbalanced people. Hopefully we find the former rather than the latter.

I do not require the boot camp route... I have a brain. I am confidant it works for some, perhaps even many... but it is not necessary and largely avoidable I contend by those who understand teaching. Perhaps I am mistaken, it will not be the last time...

J

#233514 - 02/25/06 06:24 AM Re: Punishments from a Sensei [Re: Ronin1966]
trevek Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Poland
I think the last time I saw an instructor disciplining a class was in a capoerra class. We had to do cartwheels down the hall and those who'd finished were just chatting and longing around. A lot of them were thinking of Capoerra as a fun, trendy form of dance... perhaps not as MA. Well the instructor was a KF man and didn't like this laid back hippy attitude. The next minute we were all standing in horse stance with our arms in a cross-block. That lasted until the whole group had finished cartwheeling. It got his point across... BUT NOBODY COMPLAINED.

I think most serious students, even ones who only do MA for a hobby will accept that there is a time when they must be disciplined by a sensei/sabum/sifu. However, this should mean that the discipline is given in a way which respects the student, not humilates. The student is free to walk out and never return, so the instructor should bear that in mind too.

Edited by trevek (02/25/06 06:24 AM)

Supporting everyone saying "nuts to cancer"

#233515 - 02/25/06 07:00 AM Re: Punishments from a Sensei [Re: trevek]
jamesd Offline

Loc: Essex,England
Hi Everyone,

I'm a great believer in forging the spirit through hard training if you have a good Instructor he'll only be doing this hard type of discipline to bring the best out in his students, if you have an Instructor that seems to be bullying or even enjoying making his students suffer then i suggest you leave and find something more suitable, my Instructor Shihan John King has put us through some lessons which have seemed like a major ordeal but he'll always explain the purpose of the session and at no point have i ever felt bullied or victimised,

James.

#233516 - 02/25/06 01:05 PM Re: Punishments from a Sensei [Re: jamesd]
MikoReklaw Offline

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
I've only "punished" two of my students in the time I have been teaching. One is my uchisesu, Drew. He did something severly out of line, then decided to challenge my authority in calling him on it. That took an attitude-adjustment, and one I have only had to do once, luckily. I hated having to do that to Drew, because he's like my younger brother [he's actually my cousin].

The other was a student I teach during the day at my home. His name is Mike. He is a homeschool student, and was using me as a loop of miscommunication with his parents, and didn't do any of his work for nearly two weeks. I scolded him, in private, to a great extend. I also told him if it happened again, it would be the last time he trained with me.

As for BEING punished, when I was 8, in my TKD filled youth, at one of mt gradings, I was watching one of the more senior belts test and, while I do not remember what I said, or who I said it to, I was made to do like 35 push-ups after the test...after I had already changed into my street clothes, which were actually dress clothes, because my parents were weird like that when I was a kid.

< Got that from my Dad when I got home.

Page 2 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Moderator:  Cord, MattJ, Reiki, tkd_high_green 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Fight Videos
Night club fight footage and street fights captured with the world's first bouncer spy cam

How to Matrix!
Learn ten times faster with new training method. Learn entire arts for as little as $10 per disk.

Self Defense
Stun guns, pepper spray, Mace and self defense products. Alarms for personal and home use.

TASER MC26C
Stop An Urban Gorilla: Get 2 FREE TASER M26C Replacement Air Cartridges With Each New TASER M26C!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga