FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 39 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
ksusanc, kellypnik123, leyinn, Ron_Cooley, businns
22902 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Dobbersky 12
trevek 6
cxt 6
JKogas 5
TaekwonDoFan 2
July
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
New Topics
centerline concepts
by futsaowingchun
07/14/14 10:49 PM
language of syllabus
by trevek
07/11/14 03:36 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:14 AM
10 San Sik drills-Wing Chun's foundation
by futsaowingchun
06/30/14 11:20 AM
"Ip Man" and "Ip Man 2" the movies.
by TaekwonDoFan
06/30/14 11:02 AM
Iaido movements speed
by TooNice
04/14/14 01:47 PM
Anderson Silva - Leg Break
by Dobbersky
12/30/13 08:32 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
Gi or no Gi Grappling?
by Prizewriter
04/16/12 02:48 PM
MMA - A passing Fad
by Dobbersky
04/12/12 11:16 AM
Recent Posts
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by Dobbersky
Today at 07:16 AM
centerline concepts
by Dobbersky
07/18/14 06:14 AM
language of syllabus
by trevek
07/14/14 04:50 PM
Gi or no Gi Grappling?
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:38 AM
MMA - A passing Fad
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:35 AM
Anderson Silva - Leg Break
by Dobbersky
07/09/14 06:13 AM
Throwing
by JKogas
07/03/14 07:40 PM
10 San Sik drills-Wing Chun's foundation
by futsaowingchun
06/30/14 11:20 AM
"Ip Man" and "Ip Man 2" the movies.
by TaekwonDoFan
06/30/14 11:02 AM
Forget all that health stuff
by TaekwonDoFan
06/29/14 03:18 AM
Forum Stats
22902 Members
36 Forums
35563 Topics
432449 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Topic Options
#232948 - 02/21/06 08:46 PM how much water
dream Offline

I know i hear it all the time but i cant remember how much water should an athelet drink every day

#232949 - 02/21/06 09:16 PM Re: how much water [Re: dream]
Borrek Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Ann Arbor, MI
Quote:

I know i hear it all the time but i cant remember how much water should an athelet drink every day

I hear all kinds of numbers, but on average you should have around a half ounce of H2O for every pound of body weight. Much more, and you are likely to start depleting your electrolytes. Electrolytes are your brain signal carrier chemicals, so if you want to think straight be careful.

#232950 - 02/22/06 12:00 AM Re: how much water [Re: Borrek]
Dereck Offline
Prolific

Loc: Great White North
WATER:

For the average adult 50% of their body is water weight (11 US Gallons or 42 Litres). An average adult can lose about 3 quarts (approx. 3 Litres) each day through perspiration. Now introduce weight lifting that produces heavy sweating and you will start to realize how important water is to a weight lifter and the need to replenish it … or any other person that does a physical activity. Just as a note, evaporation of sweat on the skin is the body’s cooling mechanism. You don’t cool down you overheat … and if you compare this to a vehicle that overheats then you get the idea … you breakdown and go no where.

Now when taking water it is best to take it gradually in small portions. I myself carry an insolated water bottle (32 ounces or 1 Litre) around all day at work and sip it. I will usually drink 1 to 2 of these a day plus what ever other amounts I take while working out, after working out or while training martial arts. Your body will need to adjust to the excess water you will be taking in so prepare in the beginning to go to the washroom more then usual but it will subside and you will be the better for it. Now how much water is recommended? It is suggested to drink at least 1 Gallon (3.79 Litres) per day if you’re working out hard and/or if the day is hot.

Other benefits of water are that it helps to clean the system out. Water can help with skin problems. Water can fill hunger pains that are really your body telling you that it is thirsty … you know the ones late at night when you think you need a snack and you know you shouldn’t. Water can aid in the loss of fat.

I should also point out that while working out in addition to water your body will loose electrolytes. These are ionized salts in the blood, tissue fluids and cells. If they are depleted along with water during heavy sweating certain metabolic functions, as well as neural signals can be impaired. This is why I would suggest after an intense workout (weight training or martial arts training) that you may wish to look at something like Gatoraid or Poweraid or some other sports drink. This is my opinion only.

#232951 - 02/22/06 12:04 AM Re: how much water [Re: Dereck]
Mr_Heretik Offline
Veteran

Loc: Bronx NY, USA
what about gatorade? can it really replenish better than water the way they say it does? my friend had a bad cold recently and he said his doctor recommended more gatorade over OJ..

#232952 - 02/22/06 12:23 AM Re: how much water [Re: Mr_Heretik]
Dereck Offline
Prolific

Loc: Great White North
Not always but after very strennous exercising or classes I enjoy one. As noted above it helps with replacing lost electrolytes but remember it tastes good because of its sweeteners. I only give from my personal opinion so don't have anything definitively. I find it helps personally for me but maybe not for others. Water of course it the ultimate drink and you can never go wrong. I however would not replace my water throughout the day with one of these sports drinks as I don't need to replenish my electrolytes and I would only be drinking it as soda pop. It has its time and place ... again my opinion.

#232953 - 02/22/06 02:54 AM Re: how much water [Re: Mr_Heretik]
Chanters Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Manchester, UK
The doctor probably recommended it because of the sugar it contains. Your mate may have needed the extra energy whilst he was ill.

I used to buy the lucazade Sport drink (non carbonated) and drink it during my workout. At first I thought it had a beneficial impact on my training but on a few occasions I just didn't get the perk up I usually got. I returned to drinking a litre of water and found the Lucazade had really made no difference and believe it was all in the mind.

I drink about 1.5 litres of water at work, a litre during my workout and about half a litre afterwards. I never used to drink this much water but now I can't believe how much my training sessions have improved and believe this is a result of increasing my water intake.

In short forget your 'sports drinks', drink corporation pop instead!

#232954 - 02/22/06 07:18 AM Re: how much water [Re: Chanters]
Cord Offline
Prolific

Loc: Cambridge UK.
'isotonic' or electrolyte drinks are only of use to genuine endurance athletes (marathon, triathlon etc), and those with prolongued diahorea (eeew ).

1/3 of the water we need, we get from our food. There was a trend towards pre-empting your thirst mechanism and drinking water 'habitualy'. As with everything, contradictory research eventualy comes along, and this subject is no different, and much new info points towards what 'Sprite' have always said- 'obey your thirst'.

I am always in favour of common sense. Every mammal on earth has the sensation of thirst. We are the only mammal on earth that can do physiological hydration studies, relying on your natural insticts will not do you any harm in relation to ingesting water.

Moderator:  Cord, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Ryukyu Art
Artifacts from the Ryukyu Kingdom missing since WWII. Visit www.ShisaLion.Org to view pictures

Best Stun Guns
Self Defense Products-stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and more

Surveillance 4U
Complete surveillance systems for covert operations or secure installation security

Asylum Images
Book presents photo tour of the Trans-Allegany Lunatic Asylum. A must if you're going to take a ghost tour!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga