FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 36 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
TomRosenberg, jessylin, play, Keith_G, LeroyCFischer
22937 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
jwwmantis 2
Beefcake 1
LeroyCFischer 1
futsaowingchun 1
Zombie Zero 1
December
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
New Topics
Freeing Hand-Wing Chun's last movements
by futsaowingchun
12/17/14 09:40 PM
2015 Master Yang Jwing-Ming Seminar
by jwwmantis
12/05/14 10:36 PM
The Beginners Guide To Stretching
by
12/27/06 11:43 AM
Your true goal
by
03/03/06 07:16 AM
Recent Posts
Freeing Hand-Wing Chun's last movements
by futsaowingchun
12/17/14 09:40 PM
Your true goal
by Beefcake
12/11/14 02:44 AM
The Beginners Guide To Stretching
by LeroyCFischer
12/04/14 02:07 AM
Forum Stats
22937 Members
36 Forums
35591 Topics
432526 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#232890 - 02/22/06 06:21 AM Re: slip [Re: Taison]
Ayub Offline
heartbreaker, lifetaker

Loc: London, UK
Quote:

Wait. . That's called bob. Just twisting your trunk and moving your head to the outside is called a bob.

Slip is when you duck under the punch to the sides thus resulting in you getting to the outside.

Bob is perfectly fine in a MT match. Bob and Weave is ok. Slipping, no no business when knees are involved. Look at K-1, not many slip these days.

Slip is basic. Bob and Weave are the advanced version of the slip. Good slipping will result in good bobbing.

MattJ, help me! help me!

-Taison out

Are you sure???

I may be a very confused individual, but I always thought that: bobbing and weaving was referent to movements of only the head. Bobbing, from to bob (up and down), meaning moving the head and down... and weaving being a swaying motion, meaning moving the head from side to side. Now, one must keep the head unstatic to try and make your opponent miss as its obviously harder to hit a moving target. You can also you bobbing and weaving to evade shots. Movement of your hands in a similar way is also desireable as it makes any shot less telegraphic.

Slipping on the other hand, is the twisting of the torso, used with a little weaving to make hand techniques miss giving you the perfect opportunity to counter. One should slip as late as they dare in order to not give the agressor time to opportunity to change his attack.

That's why I wasnt following knee danger Taison, if you only twisted to get away from a punch you are in an advantageous position.

Edited by Ayub (02/22/06 06:54 AM)

#232891 - 02/22/06 08:36 AM Re: slip [Re: Ayub]
TwistingKick Offline

Loc: UK (oxford)
Quote:

Slipping on the other hand, is the twisting of the torso

definitely?? i have been taught to try and minimize the twist as it is slower.

p.s. sorrry bout the anonymous post, forgot to sign in

#232892 - 02/22/06 08:40 AM Re: slip [Re: TwistingKick]
Ayub Offline
heartbreaker, lifetaker

I am just talking movements here, not amounts of specific technique. Listen to what you have been taught.

#232893 - 02/22/06 01:38 PM Re: slip [Re: TwistingKick]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Loc: York PA. USA
Definitions from Wikipedia -

Slip - Slipping rotates the body slightly so that an incoming punch passes harmlessly next to the head. As the opponent's punch arrives, the boxer sharply rotates the hips and shoulders. This turns the chin sideways and allows the punch to "slip" past.

Bob and Weave - Bobbing moves the head laterally and beneath an incoming punch. As the opponent's punch arrives, the boxer bends the legs quickly and simultaneously shifts the body either slightly right or left. Once the punch has been evaded, the boxer "weaves" back to an upright position, emerging on either the outside or inside of the opponent's still-extended arm. To move outside the opponent's extended arm is called "bobbing to the outside". To move inside the opponent's extended arm is called "bobbing to the inside".

I have always associated the "bob" part with the up/down portion of the move, but it appears from that definition to include the lateral movement as well. From the definition of the slip used here, it seems like it would still be safe to use in MT.

#232894 - 02/22/06 02:07 PM Re: slip [Re: MattJ]
Ayub Offline
heartbreaker, lifetaker

Quote:

Definitions from Wikipedia -

Slip - Slipping rotates the body slightly so that an incoming punch passes harmlessly next to the head. As the opponent's punch arrives, the boxer sharply rotates the hips and shoulders. This turns the chin sideways and allows the punch to "slip" past.

Bob and Weave - Bobbing moves the head laterally and beneath an incoming punch. As the opponent's punch arrives, the boxer bends the legs quickly and simultaneously shifts the body either slightly right or left. Once the punch has been evaded, the boxer "weaves" back to an upright position, emerging on either the outside or inside of the opponent's still-extended arm. To move outside the opponent's extended arm is called "bobbing to the outside". To move inside the opponent's extended arm is called "bobbing to the inside".

I have always associated the "bob" part with the up/down portion of the move, but it appears from that definition to include the lateral movement as well. From the definition of the slip used here, it seems like it would still be safe to use in MT.

I should be Moderator!!

#232895 - 02/23/06 01:24 AM Re: slip [Re: Ayub]
Taison Offline
The Forum Dragon
Professional Poster

Loc: BKK, Thailand
We need pictures up next time. This is harder to explain than I thought.

I checked it out last night. There are two types of slips. One is duck-down and to the side, which I was refering to. The one that Ayub was talking about was the backward sway slip [Twist your torso, like said in Wikipedia].

Now Ayub wrote twisting the body and moving the head, so I thought he meant bobbing.

Now Ayub. Slipping is a very complicated matter in Kickboxing matches. If you slip to the outside, it's fairly safe, but if you slip to the inside [which some people prefer], it is possible to get hit by the knee. Also, in MT matches people don't put much force in their hands like boxers do as they have other weapons they can use like their feet. Thus it is really rare to see someone who tries to lunge a straight with full force, and the slip wouldn't successful. MT boxers don't commit their hands in short.

MT boxers uses the jab to gauge distance, so it is quite difficult to slip a far-away jab. Another thing, you slip to the outside, there's the risk of the elbow. Many have been caught with the re-tracting elbow from the a slipped jab.

But in all, it is ok to use slip in MT matches but much of the fighting is not high, it's more centered around the middle section of your body. Thus, when you see 2 MT boxers punching away, you will notice they are hitting the chest area rather than the face as boxers have the habit of covering their faces with the huge gloves.

Another reason. It is hard to slip when the opponent thinks of clinching as soon as you get near. So most of the fighting is long-range or clinch. Not many people fight "inside" like Kickboxers and boxers do.

But still, Ayub you have proven a point. If occassion occurs, it is possible to use a slip but there are more risks involved when you have the ability to fully use your whole body.

-Taison out

Quote:

I should be Moderator!!

Bump. . Read my signature. . .

#232896 - 02/23/06 04:52 PM Re: slip [Re: Taison]
Ayub Offline
heartbreaker, lifetaker

Not Bad Taison!

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Cord, MattJ, Reiki, Taison 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Ryukyu Art
Artifacts from the Ryukyu Kingdom missing since WWII. Visit www.ShisaLion.Org to view pictures

Best Stun Guns
Self Defense Products-stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and more

Surveillance 4U
Complete surveillance systems for covert operations or secure installation security

Asylum Images
Book presents photo tour of the Trans-Allegany Lunatic Asylum. A must if you're going to take a ghost tour!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga