FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 41 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
old1, Leonar, ManLar, Vimido, raya
22925 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
futsaowingchun 3
Ronin1966 3
GojuRyuboy13 2
AndyLA 1
Victor Smith 1
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
New Topics
The Classic Pak Sao drill
by futsaowingchun
10/20/14 10:32 AM
wing chun kicks and knees
by futsaowingchun
10/09/14 12:55 AM
2014 European Championships Juniors: the Gallery
by ergees
10/05/14 10:56 AM
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
09/30/14 12:10 AM
Living a full life violence free...
by GojuRyuboy13
09/25/14 08:50 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Leo's Judo Journal
by Leo_E_49
01/24/12 02:58 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by
05/13/07 08:02 AM
Recent Posts
Living a full life violence free...
by GojuRyuboy13
10/22/14 07:20 AM
The Classic Pak Sao drill
by futsaowingchun
10/20/14 10:32 AM
Leo's Judo Journal
by swordy
10/11/14 09:21 AM
The Karate punch
by Ronin1966
10/09/14 03:16 PM
wing chun kicks and knees
by futsaowingchun
10/09/14 12:55 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Ronin1966
10/08/14 09:22 PM
2014 European Championships Juniors: the Gallery
by ergees
10/05/14 10:56 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by AndyLA
10/04/14 10:20 AM
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
09/30/14 12:10 AM
Forum Stats
22925 Members
36 Forums
35582 Topics
432510 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#232880 - 02/21/06 05:45 PM slip
TwistingKick Offline

Loc: UK (oxford)
I am having trouble learning to slip, should you twist your hips as you would with a punch or is it a smaller movement than that. Trying to twist my hips too much always results in me getting klobbered (too slow). Any1 have any tips on practicing it solo other than in front of the mirror??
Also, (last question) i am not familiar with slips in MT and KB do they use them often, are they the same??
Thanx in advance

#232881 - 02/21/06 05:52 PM Re: slip [Re: TwistingKick]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Loc: York PA. USA
I can't speak for MT, but I have done a bit of kickboxing, and slipping is used pretty much the same way. Slips (as I know them) do not involve a lot of up-and-down movement.

Bobbing and weaving/ducking you have to be a bit more careful with in kickboxing, as it is easy to bob right into a rising kick. Even moreso in MT, where you have knees to contend with.

PAGING WILDBILL OR TAISON!!!

#232882 - 02/21/06 09:26 PM Re: slip [Re: TwistingKick]
Taison Offline
The Forum Dragon
Professional Poster

Loc: BKK, Thailand
In MT, there is no slip. Slipping will result in you eating that knee, with your front teeth.

Duck however is used as it is not allowed to bash someone at the back of his head. So in MT, there are to evasive motion, duck and sway back. Nothing to the side, if need be, MT boxers would sidestep their whole body.

Kickboxing uses ALL techniques of boxing so slip, weave, duck, sway and duck is all used.

Practice? You need rhytm training. I suggest you hand a ball of a tree or something and make it swing to and fro. From there you duck, weave and bob under the ball before it hits you in the head. Remember, when the ball has passed you, turn around and evade again. This will become a reflex after a while and it will help in the ring. E.g. If you evade a punch but miss your chance to attack, you will instantly turn around and if your opponent attack, you will evade again. Another training is pad work. Do the one-two combo and then your partner slaps you without telling left or right, you must evade it.

Good luck.

-Taison out

#232883 - 02/22/06 05:20 AM Re: slip [Re: Taison]
Ayub Offline
heartbreaker, lifetaker

Loc: London, UK
Quote:

In MT, there is no slip. Slipping will result in you eating that knee, with your front teeth.

Duck however is used as it is not allowed to bash someone at the back of his head. So in MT, there are to evasive motion, duck and sway back. Nothing to the side, if need be, MT boxers would sidestep their whole body.

I don't know what you mean about this knee. Would you not be more likely to take a knee to the face if you ducked a punch than slipped out of the way. I don't get it , could you explain please?

#232884 - 02/22/06 05:35 AM Re: slip [Re: Ayub]
Taison Offline
The Forum Dragon
Professional Poster

Ah, dammit, I forgot to elaborate.

Before, MT had slips during the early days (1920) which was very influenced by British Boxing (Same one as Savate, Queensbury?).

Now in MT, people are constantly side-stepping. A fact that differentiates KB and MT. KB is more linear, where as MT goes to the sides. Now, if you slip to the right when your opponent knee comes from his left side, you'll be taking that knee quite hard.

When I was taught slipping in Boxing, it was performed by ducking and then moving to the outside. You do that in a MT match, it will hurt.

Now, in MT you don't duck TOWARDS your opponent. You just crouch down on the spot with your back straight. With luck, your opponent's kick will fly pass your head and you'll be standing behind him. Boxing's duck is also not advisable, due to the risk of getting the knee.

I'll post a picture of the duck later, if I can find that picture.

-Taison out

#232885 - 02/22/06 05:49 AM Re: slip [Re: Taison]
Ayub Offline
heartbreaker, lifetaker

Loc: London, UK
Sorry I still ..... If a jab came in and you twisted your trunk and moved your head to the outside (so your head hasn't lowered at all), why would you be susceptible to a knee attack? I understand you would have to duck a high roundhouse or get out of there but for hand techniques, whats wrong with the regular slip and counter?

#232886 - 02/22/06 05:50 AM Re: slip [Re: Taison]
TwistingKick Offline

Loc: UK (oxford)
Quote:

You just crouch down on the spot with your back straight. With luck, your opponent's kick will fly pass your head and you'll be standing behind him.

I read somewhere if you do this and follow up with a jumping knee to the opponents back it is regarded as being a very advanced technique and will likely be followed by a standing ovation from the crowd (??), was wondering if you could confirm this and also i would've thought a knee to the back would not be allowed??

Cheerz

#232887 - 02/22/06 06:05 AM Re: slip [Re: TwistingKick]
Taison Offline
The Forum Dragon
Professional Poster

This move was last performed in 1937. It was the last time that MT was to be fought outside a building.

Well, the guy hit the other guy on the back and the victim couldn't stand for another 3 days.

This technique is a technique of Muay Boran, especially Muay Lopburi. It is allowed in Lumpini but not in Ratchadamnoern. Hitting someone with a jumping knee on the back, especially the area near the kidney hurts A LOT and the damage can be permanent. Peeing blood is one thing, hit too high and the dude can't walk. Lumpini is said to be the Super-bowl of Thailand. Hardcore, freestyle Muay Thai for Pro's. They got less rules than Rachadamnoern, and I wouldn't be surprised if they allowed headbutts in 2008.

-Taison out
Jumping knee is cool. Too bad it's too risky.

#232888 - 02/22/06 06:17 AM Re: slip [Re: Ayub]
Taison Offline
The Forum Dragon
Professional Poster

Wait. . That's called bob. Just twisting your trunk and moving your head to the outside is called a bob.

Slip is when you duck under the punch to the sides thus resulting in you getting to the outside.

Bob is perfectly fine in a MT match. Bob and Weave is ok. Slipping, no no business when knees are involved. Look at K-1, not many slip these days.

Slip is basic. Bob and Weave are the advanced version of the slip. Good slipping will result in good bobbing.

MattJ, help me! help me!

-Taison out

#232889 - 02/22/06 06:20 AM Re: slip [Re: Taison]
Anonymous
Unregistered

ahhh okey, thanx for the in-depth info, much appreciated!!!
Anymore posts on slipping welcome!

p.s. Taison for mod

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Cord, MattJ, Reiki, Taison 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Ryukyu Art
Artifacts from the Ryukyu Kingdom missing since WWII. Visit www.ShisaLion.Org to view pictures

Best Stun Guns
Self Defense Products-stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and more

Surveillance 4U
Complete surveillance systems for covert operations or secure installation security

Asylum Images
Book presents photo tour of the Trans-Allegany Lunatic Asylum. A must if you're going to take a ghost tour!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga