FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 45 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Shanktotheright, royal, bobgalle100011, agenonline, TooNice
22862 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
THEFOREVERMAN 3
royal 2
Dobbersky 2
MattJ 2
UKfightfreak 1
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
New Topics
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by Marcus Charles
03/24/14 04:39 PM
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by Dobbersky
03/20/14 05:45 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
AKK kata question
by
09/04/05 01:27 PM
Recent Posts
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by THEFOREVERMAN
04/16/14 08:22 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by THEFOREVERMAN
04/16/14 08:20 AM
AKK kata question
by MattJ
04/04/14 05:45 PM
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Forum Stats
22862 Members
36 Forums
35546 Topics
432378 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 6 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6
Topic Options
#231752 - 06/09/06 06:34 PM Re: Chambering the fist [Re: MattJ]
IExcalibui2 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: New York City
hmm...never heard of that one before, nice point

#231753 - 06/10/06 09:17 AM Re: Chambering the fist [Re: IExcalibui2]
Fisherman Offline
Veteran

Loc: Colorado, USA
There is a technique in the Gao style bagua that is called Chang. It means, Under the Leaves Hides the Flowers. The concept of this means to hide or hiding your attack. In one of the applications, your opponent's attention is drawn high while you attack low with your chambered hand. This sounds similar to what MattJ described as being obscure.

#231754 - 06/24/06 10:48 AM Re: Chambering the fist [Re: Fisherman]
trevek Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Poland
There's a form of chambering in Chen (maybe not really chambering)where you put a fisted hand knuckle side on the hip and twist. This actually works as a wrist lock in some way and is used in breaking bear hug-style holds.

Sorry, horrible description.

Supporting everyone saying "nuts to cancer"

#231755 - 07/12/06 02:03 PM Re: Chambering the fist [Re: Fisherman]
Shaolin_Sky Offline

Loc: Illinos, USA
I am not 100% sure why there is chambering. My guess is that, like with the transitioning of stances in forms, it is taught to teach you how to coordinate the movement of your body to get the most power out of your punches. That is just a guess, so don't quote me on that. I will ask one of my Sifu's tonight during class, and let you know what he/she says.

-Sky

#231756 - 08/23/06 02:44 PM Re: Chambering the fist [Re: Shaolin_Sky]
Kid_Dynamite Offline
Stranger

Well there is another far more obvious use, I'm quite surprised no one mentioned it actually. Before I say anything I am quite aware that a chambered punch isn't a "fighting", "Sparring" or "Cage Fighting" technique!

However thats not to say with very minor mods it isn't a street friendly so called self defence technique which can be very very commonly used very very effectively.

for example during a barfight type situation(or any other just an example) before it "kicks off" during the whole posturing/talking/screaming/threatening stage, you will most likely be in close range with limited space movement, you may also not be able to get up any form of fence to aid you or not want to look overtly aggressive by putting your guard up as you may be able to talk the situation down.

however if you cannot one can't disagree that short of a nice kick in the groin or strike to a vital area (throat, eyes etc) a good hard straight punch to the chin/jaw will generally if done right put your oponent down pretty quickly.if the chambered punch from the hip is well practiced and one can get good snap speed and power from a punch launched at a relaxed hands down position, it becomes a rather powerful self defence tool for an opening either pre-emptive or reactionary defensive offensive strike.

just my 2 cents not saying that it is the best way to punch on the street or anything so please don't misunderstand me but it can work very well as an opening surprise counter if one is being threatened, and can therefore be used for what it is... a punch.

#231757 - 08/31/06 04:08 AM Re: Chambering the fist [Re: Fisherman]
Tricky Offline

Loc: England.
In many fighting systems the core of your power source is said to be your abdomin (stomach). It is also comman knowledge that power is superior when developed from the hips for kicks, punches, knees, elbows, finger strikes, head butts etc etc. So therefore I feel the masters just wanted to put enphasis to an extreme degree so that every time a student practiced a form they reminded themselves physically.

I am afraid that throwing a punch from the hip is effective, especially if your opponent hits you in the street with a bare knuckle when you aren't expecting it. My freind was recently attacked by a thug on the street using this chambering punch technique. My freind had his guard up yet didn't want to throw the first punch.

This guy punched my freind once in the eye and split a big hole in his eye lid where the brow bone pierced through. The fight ended quickly as my freinds eye filled up with blood so he couldnt see properly. My freind fled and got six stitches put in his eye at the infirmary.

The truth is that my freind didn't want to fight yet he was ready to defend himself. He was drunk yet could still stand his ground. The thug on the street attacking him hit him with a fast powerful punch that went through my freinds guard.

The thug was extemely agressive and intent on hurting someone, my freind though knows how to defend himself was on the back foot as he was intimidated by the thugs aggression. Fear is the key especially on the street, but it was still an effective technique.

The thug had two freinds with him that were also nasty thugs and my freind is no Bruce Lee.

#231758 - 08/31/06 05:43 AM Re: Chambering the fist [Re: Tricky]
Victor Smith Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Derry, NH
You also might want to express to your friend that it's never a good idea to fight when you're drunk (but perhaps thats the only time people fight).

I'd be more impressed if he had run away realizing that fighting drunk is a bad idea.

Page 6 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderator:  Cord, Gavin, JasonM, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Fight Videos
Night club fight footage and street fights captured with the world's first bouncer spy cam

How to Matrix!
Learn ten times faster with new training method. Learn entire arts for as little as $10 per disk.

Self Defense
Stun guns, pepper spray, Mace and self defense products. Alarms for personal and home use.

TASER MC26C
Stop An Urban Gorilla: Get 2 FREE TASER M26C Replacement Air Cartridges With Each New TASER M26C!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga