FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 32 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
mohdnabeel, sunny, swordy, jerrybarry24, SenseiGregT
22915 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
AndyLA 3
futsaowingchun 3
Matakiant 3
kolslaw 1
Bartfast 1
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
New Topics
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
Yesterday at 12:10 AM
Living a full life violence free...
by GojuRyuboy13
09/25/14 08:50 AM
Wing Chun-internal training
by futsaowingchun
09/23/14 09:01 PM
Martial News
by Matakiant
09/23/14 06:42 AM
STX Kickboxing Seminar
by Marcus Charles
09/09/14 06:57 PM
Biu Tzu- 1st section applications
by futsaowingchun
09/05/14 10:56 PM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by
05/13/07 08:02 AM
Eugue Ryu
by
03/27/07 12:06 AM
Recent Posts
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
Yesterday at 12:10 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Victor Smith
09/28/14 07:11 PM
Living a full life violence free...
by GojuRyuboy13
09/25/14 08:50 AM
Wing Chun-internal training
by futsaowingchun
09/23/14 09:01 PM
Martial News
by Matakiant
09/23/14 06:42 AM
attacked from behind
by AndyLA
09/19/14 09:05 AM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
09/18/14 06:07 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by Zombie Zero
09/16/14 04:43 PM
Eugue Ryu
by kolslaw
09/12/14 03:35 PM
Biu Tzu- 1st section applications
by futsaowingchun
09/05/14 10:56 PM
Forum Stats
22915 Members
36 Forums
35579 Topics
432500 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 6 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#231297 - 02/18/09 02:06 PM Re: Boffering, safe sword fighting. [Re: pgsmith]
Charles Mahan Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Denton, Tx, USA
Cole. I'm sorry, but what you are doing does qualify as fumbling about. You are not actively engaged in training under anyone unless I've missed something. You have a stick and you hit people with it and try to get a little better the more often you do it. That's a pretty good description of fumbling about.

So far as I can tell you are not pretending to do anything other than what you are. Good for you. Not everyone who does what you do are so honest about it. Many swear that they are practicing some ancient art or other, despite having no actual connections to any such art. That's just dishonest. So long as you are not doing that, and it appears that you are not, and so long as nobody gets hurt, then I don't have any real problem with what you are doing. I don't understand it.

As to whether or not you like Amtgard or SCA, that is your business. Don't workout with them. End of problem. Don't expect to join a traditional Japanese dojo, or even a respected WMA group, without being asked to dress in period clothing. It's not going to happen. Again, so long as you are satisfied with what you are doing, then knock yourself out. Just don't expect anyone who is training for real to take you too seriously.

Edited by Charles Mahan (02/18/09 02:07 PM)

#231298 - 02/22/09 05:04 AM Re: Boffering, safe sword fighting. [Re: Charles Mahan]
Cole_Caecus Offline

While i respect your opinions, i disagree. As ive said, we have several people that were in the SCA for years that are teaching us proper techniques, and i myself have done a lot of research into it online, using many things i have found online to teach myself. And while you are correct, we wont have the ability to learn under life and death circumstances, as far as i know, not many people have that 'oppurtunity'. We also have done some training with Bokkens, both katana type and longsword types, and our group is very good. Im confident that if i had a real sword, i would do better with most, but thats just me, and its not likely to happen, so i wont find out for sure under real circumstances.

#231299 - 02/22/09 08:29 AM Re: Boffering, safe sword fighting. [Re: Cole_Caecus]
karl314285 Offline

Loc: The Matrix, Serif is Teacher
My friend R__ was invited to train for one of these things (never been to one) and day before takes me up on some technique as I was lending him my shinai (one day, gad), I gave him a sure winner as I assumed he might face hack and slashers, a modification of Gedan no Kamae w/ rt leg rear and sword rt low, I was uke and as I moved to strike he stepped rt leg and Jabbed Abd, finish w/ beheading...worked like a charm, except the group said Jabs were off limits and the immediate move to behead was not looked upon well. if this is common in "Boffering" than training must be more for great swords like the Claymore than Katana, good check of this is "do you practice sword clashing sword more than once in a combat?"

#231300 - 02/22/09 06:43 PM Re: Boffering, safe sword fighting. [Re: karl314285]
Charles Mahan Offline
Professional Poster

Quote:

And while you are correct, we wont have the ability to learn under life and death circumstances, as far as i know, not many people have that 'oppurtunity'.

That is of course correct, and the reason many of us choose to seek out genuine instruction which has been passed down from one generation to the next from a time when people did use this stuff for what it was designed for.

Why make it up if you can't ever know what you're doing is worth a damn? Why not find the real thing and do that? There may not be a training oppurtunity in your immediate area. You might even have to move to somewhere training is available. It all comes down to just how badly you want it.

To my way of thinking making it up as you go, does not qualify what you are doing as a sword art, and as such it does not qualify as a valid topic for discussion in this forum. That doesn't mean you don't find some kind of value in what you're doing. If nothing else, it sounds like a good cardio workout. Still that doesn't qualify it as a sword art. This is a topic which I am starting to think should be banned from this forum. I am curious to hear what the other forum regulars have to say about this? It's similar to the self teaching topic, which is already banned.

Edited by Charles Mahan (02/22/09 06:45 PM)

#231301 - 02/22/09 11:43 PM Re: Boffering, safe sword fighting. [Re: Charles Mahan]
fatguy Offline

While I don't know whether or not I can be considered a "regular" I agree that boffering and the like isn't really a sword art. It is more or less a sword fighting game to me. I'm not saying one is better than the other, just that they are like apples and oranges when compared to each other.

That being said I don't think it should be a banned topic because it is not necessarily a bad thing to partake in these events while banned topics such as self-teaching is.
Plus, would chanbara be also a banned topic? Also, I feel there would have to be a sticky for guidelines as to what exactly qualifies as a sword art and what can be posted.

#231302 - 02/24/09 09:15 AM Re: Boffering, safe sword fighting. [Re: fatguy]
Charles Mahan Offline
Professional Poster

To be clear, when I suggest the topic should be banned, I don't mean it should be banned as a dangerous or illegitimate practice. Just that it seems out of scope for this forum as it is not a sword art. We don't allow other forms of off topic discussion. Those posts get moved to other forums or deleted.

So the question becomes, is boffering a valid topic for discussion in the Sword Arts forum. This would cover topics related to all topics related to boffering, including Chanbara, Amtgard, Dagohir, and unaffiliated backyard samurai.

#231303 - 02/24/09 09:55 AM Re: Boffering, safe sword fighting. [Re: Charles Mahan]
fatguy Offline

oh, sorry I believe I misunderstood.

In that case, I'm all for a ban.

Edited by fatguy (02/24/09 09:55 AM)

#231304 - 02/24/09 04:07 PM Re: Boffering, safe sword fighting. [Re: Charles Mahan]
cxt Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: USA
Charles

Ban is ok with me....might save a lot of time.

Then again, perhaps such discussions serve "some" value in the education of folks that don't know the differences.

I don't know.

BTW......."uaffilated backyard samurai"......excellent choice of words!

#231305 - 02/25/09 02:43 AM Re: Boffering, safe sword fighting. [Re: cxt]
Cole_Caecus Offline

Meh, go ahead, i just joined to put my 2 cents in about the subject anyways.

#231306 - 02/25/09 11:37 AM Re: Boffering, safe sword fighting. [Re: Charles Mahan]
pgsmith Offline

Loc: Texas
I agree that discussions of this sort are technically out of the scope of this forum. However, I don't think they should be simply banned. It provides an opportunity for discussion that may be of benefit to some. Not too much other discussion going on in this forum at the moment .

Page 6 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Charles Mahan, Cord, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Fight Videos
Night club fight footage and street fights captured with the world's first bouncer spy cam

How to Matrix!
Learn ten times faster with new training method. Learn entire arts for as little as $10 per disk.

Self Defense
Stun guns, pepper spray, Mace and self defense products. Alarms for personal and home use.

TASER MC26C
Stop An Urban Gorilla: Get 2 FREE TASER M26C Replacement Air Cartridges With Each New TASER M26C!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga