FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 49 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
old1, Leonar, ManLar, Vimido, raya
22925 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
futsaowingchun 4
Ronin1966 3
ergees 1
Victor Smith 1
swordy 1
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
New Topics
The Classic Pak Sao drill
by futsaowingchun
10/20/14 10:32 AM
wing chun kicks and knees
by futsaowingchun
10/09/14 12:55 AM
2014 European Championships Juniors: the Gallery
by ergees
10/05/14 10:56 AM
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
09/30/14 12:10 AM
Living a full life violence free...
by GojuRyuboy13
09/25/14 08:50 AM
Wing Chun-internal training
by futsaowingchun
09/23/14 09:01 PM
Martial News
by Matakiant
09/23/14 06:42 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Leo's Judo Journal
by Leo_E_49
01/24/12 02:58 AM
Recent Posts
The Classic Pak Sao drill
by futsaowingchun
10/20/14 10:32 AM
Leo's Judo Journal
by swordy
10/11/14 09:21 AM
Living a full life violence free...
by cxt
10/10/14 10:08 AM
The Karate punch
by Ronin1966
10/09/14 03:16 PM
wing chun kicks and knees
by futsaowingchun
10/09/14 12:55 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Ronin1966
10/08/14 09:22 PM
2014 European Championships Juniors: the Gallery
by ergees
10/05/14 10:56 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by AndyLA
10/04/14 10:20 AM
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
09/30/14 12:10 AM
Wing Chun-internal training
by futsaowingchun
09/23/14 09:01 PM
Forum Stats
22925 Members
36 Forums
35582 Topics
432509 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#231247 - 02/15/06 08:47 PM Boffering, safe sword fighting.
KarlHTKDSTUDENT Offline

Boffering. I love it almost as much as Tae Kwon Do. I don't do any sword arts, but boffering is thge sport of reinacting medieval sword fighting in a (almost) totally safe and fun manner. You can make one for less than $10 dollars that will last you a long time. The whole idea of boffering is to fight with swords, but not to pad yourself, but to pad the sword. They are constructed from PVC, pool noodles/pipe insulation, and you can use other materials, and duct tape. My friends and I have so much fun doing it. If you want more information PM me.
-Karl

#231248 - 02/15/06 09:14 PM Re: Boffering, safe sword fighting. [Re: KarlHTKDSTUDENT]
Yunsung Offline

Loc: Bossier City, LA, USA
www.thearma.org

This is real medieval swordfighting - Liectenhauer and Fiore longsword, primarily.

If you're going to practice medieval swordsmanship, do it right.

#231249 - 02/15/06 09:18 PM Re: Boffering, safe sword fighting. [Re: Yunsung]
KarlHTKDSTUDENT Offline

Except I'm fourteen and I don't want to spend a bunch of money of weapons and armor, and besides that, I can do boffering in my basement, and I won't have to worry too much about accidently hurting someone.
-Karl

#231250 - 02/15/06 09:52 PM Re: Boffering, safe sword fighting. [Re: KarlHTKDSTUDENT]
Charles Mahan Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Denton, Tx, USA
Quote:

Boffering. I love it almost as much as Tae Kwon Do. I don't do any sword arts, but boffering is thge sport of reinacting medieval sword fighting in a (almost) totally safe and fun manner. You can make one for less than $10 dollars that will last you a long time. The whole idea of boffering is to fight with swords, but not to pad yourself, but to pad the sword. They are constructed from PVC, pool noodles/pipe insulation, and you can use other materials, and duct tape. My friends and I have so much fun doing it. If you want more information PM me.
-Karl

I will admit it looks like a lot of fun, but it's not swordsmanship on any level and should not be confused with such.

#231251 - 02/16/06 06:50 AM Re: Boffering, safe sword fighting. [Re: KarlHTKDSTUDENT]
mercierarmory Offline

Loc: Lincoln, Nebraska
Just because your 14 isn't an excuse not to learn how to properly swordfight, even with your boffer weapons. No, they dont feel, swing, weigh or look like real swords, but you can still learn proper technique with one.
If you are really interested, go look for books by, Guy Windsor, John Clements, or Christian Tobler. They all have written excellent books to learn historical fight techniques.
My school has access to a lot of their books. You can check them out at: http://www.mercierarmory.com/armory/books.html

Mike

#231252 - 02/16/06 01:40 PM Re: Boffering, safe sword fighting. [Re: mercierarmory]
Benjamin1986 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Republic of Texas
You can't learn from books anymore than you can from videos, at least, not alone. You need a solid background and a good teacher to really learn anything. A group of people with a solid background in another art can learn together (as Mercier's group is doing), but alone, you are still just hitting people with sticks.

If you want to learn, I would suggest that you pick up fencing; go to ARMA or another group of the sort (avoid the SCA); or perhaps learn kenjitsu, kendo, or iaido.

But, don't let old fogeys like us ruin your fun. If you just want to have fun, go swing at each other to your heart's desire.

#231253 - 02/16/06 03:12 PM Re: Boffering, safe sword fighting. [Re: Charles Mahan]
VladtheImpaler Offline

Quote:

Quote:

-Karl

I will admit it looks like a lot of fun, but it's not swordsmanship on any level and should not be confused with such.

I used to do a lot of boffer fighting in my medieval group (Society for Creative Anachronism.) Sure, there are some people that do it that aren't very good, but to say it's not swordsmanship on any level is incorrect and disrespectful. I have fought and trained with many people with boffer and rattan weapons that were excellent fighters and could easily hold their own against practioners of other sword-fighting arts. Many of the people that fight and teach fighting in the SCA are trained in classical European swordfighting, and although boffer fighting is much different than wielding an edged weapon, don't discount it as meaningless.

#231254 - 02/16/06 03:34 PM Re: Boffering, safe sword fighting. [Re: VladtheImpaler]
Charles Mahan Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Denton, Tx, USA
I didn't say anything at all about the SCA, and I didn't say that Boffer fighting was meaningless. In fact, I said it looked like a lot of fun. All I said is that it is not Swordsmanship on any level. It does not involve swords, or objects that look like, are weighted like, or behave anything like swords. And it does not train you how to use the real thing. It's boffering. There's nothing intrinsically wrong with that. It's just not swordsmanship.

#231255 - 02/16/06 03:53 PM Re: Boffering, safe sword fighting. [Re: Charles Mahan]
VladtheImpaler Offline

I think that part of the problem is that we are operating from different definitions of swordsmanship. I see boffer fighting as an opportunity to practice swordfighting in a safe environment with minimal chance of injury. I prefer the rattan weapons because it's a more accurate simulation of real swords, however I think you can still get a lot out of boffer if done correctly. It's especially good for newbies, younger fighters, and anyone else that's worried about getting injured.
And as to the similarity to real swords, I always try to make my boffer or rattan weapons as similar to real swords as I can in terms of weight and size, but I acknowledge that there is a difference. The only thing that will completely function like a real sword is a real sword, and we're not going to swing those at each other several days of the week, are we?

#231256 - 02/16/06 03:58 PM Re: Boffering, safe sword fighting. [Re: VladtheImpaler]
KarlHTKDSTUDENT Offline

When I posted this I didn't mean to tell you guys that boffering is able to replace traditional sword arts, it's just a way for people to do sword fighting safely and have a bunch of fun doing it. Sure the swords may not look realistic but I don't care, it's still a hell of a lot of fun.
-Karl

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Charles Mahan, Cord, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Ryukyu Art
Artifacts from the Ryukyu Kingdom missing since WWII. Visit www.ShisaLion.Org to view pictures

Best Stun Guns
Self Defense Products-stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and more

Surveillance 4U
Complete surveillance systems for covert operations or secure installation security

Asylum Images
Book presents photo tour of the Trans-Allegany Lunatic Asylum. A must if you're going to take a ghost tour!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga