FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 48 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
AndyLA, danacohenn, ksusanc, kellypnik123, leyinn
22904 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Dobbersky 15
cxt 7
trevek 6
JKogas 5
futsaowingchun 3
July
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
New Topics
Applied center line theory
by futsaowingchun
07/28/14 08:55 AM
centerline concepts
by futsaowingchun
07/14/14 10:49 PM
language of syllabus
by trevek
07/11/14 03:36 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:14 AM
Anderson Silva - Leg Break
by Dobbersky
12/30/13 08:32 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
Gi or no Gi Grappling?
by Prizewriter
04/16/12 02:48 PM
MMA - A passing Fad
by Dobbersky
04/12/12 11:16 AM
Throwing
by
04/23/05 10:58 PM
Recent Posts
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by Dobbersky
Today at 12:04 PM
Gi or no Gi Grappling?
by Dobbersky
07/29/14 05:11 AM
Applied center line theory
by futsaowingchun
07/28/14 08:55 AM
centerline concepts
by futsaowingchun
07/28/14 08:53 AM
language of syllabus
by trevek
07/14/14 04:50 PM
MMA - A passing Fad
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:35 AM
Anderson Silva - Leg Break
by Dobbersky
07/09/14 06:13 AM
Throwing
by JKogas
07/03/14 07:40 PM
Forum Stats
22904 Members
36 Forums
35564 Topics
432456 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#231217 - 02/15/06 08:41 PM really depressed :(
inneedofhelp Offline
Stranger

My main goal in life is to join martial arts and be good at it but there is one main factor discouraging me and holding me back. I have really terrible eyesight. It is about -6 which is horrible and I can barely see my opponent if i do join. Contacts are not possible for me. Laser eye surgery is not possible for me. Any advice if I should join martial arts?

#231218 - 02/15/06 08:51 PM Re: really depressed :( [Re: inneedofhelp]
TKDBlackBelt Offline

Loc: USA
Have you every seen this one movie, I cant remember what it is called, but it was about a blind swordsman. He was able to defeat many men at once. Now I know that it isnt realistic but the point is that you are letting your limitation limmit you. Dont worry about your sight, you have ears and a nose and the sense of touch. I went blind for a day for psychology class and it was one of the worst experiences of my life. I could hear everything but didnt have the practice to distiguish a certain sound from a noise, but it takes practice. You are not going to be good at a martial art if you dont practice. Same in your case, you just have to take that first step. Most instructors will work with you to teach you their MA. I am in a TKD class and we had a kid in a wheelchair come and join class. TKD is the art of the leggs and he couldnt use his but he still tried, later I think he joined a judo class.

TKDBlackBelt
"Ability may get you to the top but it takes character to keep you there"
Jonh Wooden

#231219 - 02/15/06 09:02 PM Re: really depressed :( [Re: inneedofhelp]
TeK9 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Northern California, USA
Hey if you have a passion for the martial art, then I say go for it no matter what, there are men, woman and children everyday who practice the martial arts despite disabilities. Poor eyesight is no excuse to ignore your passion. It is not uncommen for blind children to receive thier black belts. Please keep in mind you have other sense othe than sight. The ability to feel is very important in self defense, it is not always about sight. Being able to blend in with your opponent/attacker is not a matter of sight but of touch and sound. Please dont give up on your goal, my brother as really bad eyesight, he is virtually blind when he takes off his glasses, and has trouble identifying individuals when he spars and yet despite this, he still tries. I urge you to take up jujitsu,judo or aikido these arts emphaises blending with your attacker and using their force against them. You will see just how incredible you can be.
Vinci

#231220 - 02/15/06 09:12 PM Re: really depressed :( [Re: TeK9]
inneedofhelp Offline
Stranger

Thanks for replying makes me feel better.
Yeah I've heard of these stories but I feel that I wont be as mobile as the other students since wearing my glasses restricts my movement and taking them off makes them so I can't see my opponent. I think of the future and I know i can probably get a black belt but i dont think i'll be capable of getting any higher with such bad eyesight

Edited by inneedofhelp (02/15/06 09:14 PM)

#231221 - 02/15/06 09:17 PM Re: really depressed :( [Re: inneedofhelp]
oldman Offline
Professional Poster

Inoh,
You mentioned being depressed. Practicing martial arts can contribute to both physical and good mental health. That being said it is also not a cure for depression. Depression is a very common expeirience and can have many causes. I would encourage you to talk to the people closest to you for support. I would also encourage you to see a doctor for a thorough check up. In doing so you can put together a plan for increasing you health and happiness.
Some people are blind, some just lack vision.

#231222 - 02/15/06 09:18 PM Re: really depressed :( [Re: inneedofhelp]
Leo_E_49 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: California
A grappling art is perfect for you. In many grappling arts, you can't really see your opponent, you're feeling their position. You would probably be excellently suited for Judo, BJJ or Wrestling!

I hope you choose one of these arts because you will surely enjoy yourself and be able to take advantage of your full potential if you do.

#231223 - 02/15/06 09:18 PM Re: really depressed :( [Re: inneedofhelp]
MikoReklaw Offline

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Do not be depressed, because even with bad eyesight, one can learn to fight. Just make sure your instructor knows, so taht he/she can put you with someone that will help you grasp your basics. In fact, your eyesight will become a help rather than a hinderance as time goes on.

Without being able to see the people around you while training, you will not focus on how someone else is doing a technique. Instead, you will focus intently on your own execution of technique.

And once you progress into kumite, you will have an advantage in the fact that you cannot focus on one point, as many newbies tend to do while sparring. You will learn to watch without your eyes, and hone not jsut your peripheral vision and combat awareness, but you will develop what is best described as a low-level version of ESP. You will see and feel a technique faster than you can realize, almost as if ur reading the person's mind.

When you lose one sense, all others are strengthened. Just remember that, and train hard. You will do very well, if you keep your dedication.

#231224 - 02/15/06 09:26 PM Re: really depressed :( [Re: inneedofhelp]
Ed_Morris Offline
Professional Poster

Are you sure contacts aren't possible?
I'm -4.5 and have been wearing soft-lens contacts for 20 years without problems. a couple of times they folded up under my lid on me during practice which is painful, but they've never popped out during contact sparring or 2-person drills. The hard lenses pop out easy during training - I don't recommend those.

I use extended wear disposables...wear them for 2 weeks, day and night, them throw them away. no cleaning. they have 4-week ones too.

I think the maximum correction strength for contacts now is up to -6/+6 ... call an optomitrist.

If you are too young or not elegible for contacts, another option is impact safe glasses. then you just wear a strap behind the head to prevent them from slipping off.

what I did when I was younger is train without glasses. my near vision is excellent, my far vision stinks... so by not wearing my glasses, I could see perfect when sparring/training close in. this was a good habit for goju fighting. during testing it was good because everyone around watching was just a blur and easier to ignore and concentrate. same thing with kata practice. another bonus was since the sensei knew my distance vision was poor, he knew he had to show up close.

turn a disadvantage into your advantage.

#231225 - 02/15/06 09:26 PM Re: really depressed :( [Re: MikoReklaw]
inneedofhelp Offline
Stranger

Thanks for all the help, I'm feeling better that I can join martial arts. Its not really depression though just dissappointment. Now that I've heard your guys' opinions I think I'll join and stay dedicated. Thnx again for assuring me!

#231226 - 02/16/06 04:22 AM Re: really depressed :( [Re: inneedofhelp]
JonRobbie Offline

Loc: auckland New Zealand
hey Im impressed, U guys really went out of ur way to make this guy feel he could do just about anything
u shud all congratulate yourselves, most message boards are all bout complaining and chest beating men competing over their keyboards
Job well done

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Fight Videos
Night club fight footage and street fights captured with the world's first bouncer spy cam

How to Matrix!
Learn ten times faster with new training method. Learn entire arts for as little as $10 per disk.

Self Defense
Stun guns, pepper spray, Mace and self defense products. Alarms for personal and home use.

TASER MC26C
Stop An Urban Gorilla: Get 2 FREE TASER M26C Replacement Air Cartridges With Each New TASER M26C!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga