FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
1 registered (Zombie Zero), 21 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
BUJU, Pilsungkarate, ALF, old1, Leonar
22928 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Ronin1966 3
futsaowingchun 2
ergees 2
GojuRyuboy13 2
cxt 1
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
New Topics
I spy kata bunkai..
by GojuRyuboy13
Yesterday at 08:28 AM
Judo 2014 World Championships Juniors: The Gallery
by ergees
10/25/14 04:53 PM
The Classic Pak Sao drill
by futsaowingchun
10/20/14 10:32 AM
wing chun kicks and knees
by futsaowingchun
10/09/14 12:55 AM
2014 European Championships Juniors: the Gallery
by ergees
10/05/14 10:56 AM
Living a full life violence free...
by GojuRyuboy13
09/25/14 08:50 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Leo's Judo Journal
by Leo_E_49
01/24/12 02:58 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by
05/13/07 08:02 AM
Recent Posts
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
Yesterday at 10:01 PM
I spy kata bunkai..
by GojuRyuboy13
Yesterday at 08:28 AM
Judo 2014 World Championships Juniors: The Gallery
by ergees
10/25/14 04:53 PM
Living a full life violence free...
by GojuRyuboy13
10/22/14 07:20 AM
The Classic Pak Sao drill
by futsaowingchun
10/20/14 10:32 AM
Leo's Judo Journal
by swordy
10/11/14 09:21 AM
wing chun kicks and knees
by futsaowingchun
10/09/14 12:55 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Ronin1966
10/08/14 09:22 PM
2014 European Championships Juniors: the Gallery
by ergees
10/05/14 10:56 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by AndyLA
10/04/14 10:20 AM
Forum Stats
22928 Members
36 Forums
35584 Topics
432513 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Topic Options
#229556 - 02/09/06 05:14 PM faster than a speeding bullet....
Leona Offline

Loc: London, England
.... if only!!

ok, as this is my first post, i'd like to say hello to everybody.. hi!! and for the record, im 20, I live in london and I have been training in shotokan karate for about 7 months, im coming up to my 2nd grading, i really really enjoy learning MA's and the challenge it gives me and I hope to be doing them for a long time to come... its not like you can stop learning things!!

Anywho... onto the point of this topic:

I feel that i am lacking in speed when I perform a movement, especially with my lower body... My arms can perform the block/attack relatively quickly (although there is still alot of room for improvement!) but my legs dont seem to step through fast enough... or if they do I lose the power and/or the tecnique of what it is I am doing. My instructor has explained about breathing correctly and relaxing whilst moving and tensing as I complete the move, but I still cant seem to pull it off!!

is this just a matter of practicing the techniques more, or are there excersises I can do to increase my speed of movement?? I basically want my movements to feel more explosive!

Also, whilst looking into this I came across plyometrics. Are these benificial for MA's, and if so does anybody have any helpful information about them??

Thanks in advance!!!

Leona xXx

p.s - I hope I put this in the correct section!! apoligise if not, it seemed like the right place!!

#229557 - 02/09/06 09:58 PM Re: faster than a speeding bullet.... [Re: Leona]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Loc: York PA. USA
Hi Leona, welcome to the forums.

There are many components to "speed" when it comes to martial arts. There is physical speed, sensory speed, proper timing for strikes (that will appear as speed to the opponent), proper body coordination (getting your legs to move in sync with your upper body), etc.

Practice with a partner will help with your physical speed, your reaction (sensory) speed, and your timing.

Working in front of a mirror will help you to learn to not "telegraph" your strikes, and will help you with economy of movement - making them as direct as possible, with the least amount of extraneous movement.

This can also help with coordinating your legs to work together with your feet. A good drill is to work jabs or reverse punches stepping forward across the room. Concentrate on making the strike "hit" at the same time your front foot lands as you step forward. Remember to breathe out when you "hit" as well.

Check the Strengthening forum for tips on Plyometrics, they are very useful for MA training.

#229558 - 02/10/06 10:45 PM Re: faster than a speeding bullet.... [Re: Leona]
hedkikr Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Southern California, USA
Welcome...I hope that your appreciation of & devotion to MA continues to inspire you to "take it to the next level" for many years to come (rest of your life, perhaps?)

You're still getting accustomed to your karate muscles. In time & w/ the proper instruction, efficient muscle memory will start to take hold. Just be patient.

But more to the point...if you're training in traditional Shotokan & your instructor is emphasizing a low "Zenkutsu-dachi" (front stance), you're having trouble like everyone who started Shotokan. It's just plain unnatural.

If you continue to have problems that can't be overcome (even w/ diligent practice), you might look into another traditional Japanese Karate style. Shito-ryu & Goju-ryu utilize a higher, more natural stance. The basic physical philosophies differ a bit but are equally valid.

Although I'm a Shito-ryu Shukokai practitioner, I have trained in Shotokan. I returned t Shito-ryu because the movements were more natural & was more accomidating to speed.

...& yes plyometric training is benificial. In fact, it's one of the signature characteristics of the Shukokai branch of Shito-ryu.

Have fun.

#229559 - 02/11/06 04:53 PM Re: faster than a speeding bullet.... [Re: hedkikr]
Leona Offline

Loc: London, England
Thank you for the advice!! (and welcomes!!) Im gonna look into the plyometrics now! and possibly see if anybody at my dojo is looking for a partner to practice with in the evenings or somthing...

lol.. yeah, there is alot of emphasis on a low front stance.. and it does feel unatural.. especially when going (well attempting to go!) backwards!! it takes all my effort topull my front leg back without leaning forward and losing all balance!! still.. just another thing to practice i guess!!

#229560 - 02/12/06 01:48 AM Re: faster than a speeding bullet.... [Re: Leona]
break the elephants neck Offline

Loc: canada
i used to be a slug on my feet. then i got a skipping rope, and used it. a lot. i know it seems pretty basic but i learned how to be light on my feet. now im pretty quick and swift when i float back to avade attacks or come forward to strike. also squats could help leg strength for that initial push off. but i never advocate in doing a lot of squats, just some every now and then.
i agree with the other advice said, i just wanted to add.
also good mid-section core strength is important pertaining to how well you can move

#229561 - 02/16/06 12:14 AM Re: faster than a speeding bullet.... [Re: break the elephants neck]
Legend of the Hungry Wolf Offline

jump rope is perfect,

try to jump rope with jumping as little as you can, like boxers do. go from 2 feet, for a while to one, foot, alternate feet. good stuff. and make sure you have a good jump rope, mine twisted in the middle and went from a U to a V and my feet kept getting caught and i got mad.

Moderator:  Cord, MattJ, Reiki, WhiteDragon11 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Fight Videos
Night club fight footage and street fights captured with the world's first bouncer spy cam

How to Matrix!
Learn ten times faster with new training method. Learn entire arts for as little as $10 per disk.

Self Defense
Stun guns, pepper spray, Mace and self defense products. Alarms for personal and home use.

TASER MC26C
Stop An Urban Gorilla: Get 2 FREE TASER M26C Replacement Air Cartridges With Each New TASER M26C!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga