FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 43 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
ksusanc, kellypnik123, leyinn, Ron_Cooley, businns
22902 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Dobbersky 12
cxt 7
trevek 6
JKogas 5
futsaowingchun 2
July
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
New Topics
centerline concepts
by futsaowingchun
07/14/14 10:49 PM
language of syllabus
by trevek
07/11/14 03:36 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:14 AM
10 San Sik drills-Wing Chun's foundation
by futsaowingchun
06/30/14 11:20 AM
"Ip Man" and "Ip Man 2" the movies.
by TaekwonDoFan
06/30/14 11:02 AM
Iaido movements speed
by TooNice
04/14/14 01:47 PM
Anderson Silva - Leg Break
by Dobbersky
12/30/13 08:32 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
Gi or no Gi Grappling?
by Prizewriter
04/16/12 02:48 PM
MMA - A passing Fad
by Dobbersky
04/12/12 11:16 AM
Recent Posts
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by cxt
07/24/14 11:35 AM
centerline concepts
by Dobbersky
07/18/14 06:14 AM
language of syllabus
by trevek
07/14/14 04:50 PM
Gi or no Gi Grappling?
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:38 AM
MMA - A passing Fad
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:35 AM
Anderson Silva - Leg Break
by Dobbersky
07/09/14 06:13 AM
Throwing
by JKogas
07/03/14 07:40 PM
10 San Sik drills-Wing Chun's foundation
by futsaowingchun
06/30/14 11:20 AM
"Ip Man" and "Ip Man 2" the movies.
by TaekwonDoFan
06/30/14 11:02 AM
Forget all that health stuff
by TaekwonDoFan
06/29/14 03:18 AM
Forum Stats
22902 Members
36 Forums
35563 Topics
432450 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 5 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#229304 - 02/16/06 05:05 PM Re: "traditional" & "modern" TKD ... ? [Re: TeK9]
Dereck Offline
Prolific

Loc: Great White North
Maybe this is one of those questions that can't be answered. Like what is at Area 51 that is so secret? Who really built the pyramids? Who built Stonehenge? What is Taekwondo?

There are so many different types of Taekwondo depending on the organization and even within these organizations. Heck we have 3 schools in total and all three have a similar format for testing but our school does grappling/MMA, another only does grappling and the third does none. We are more the same then most and we are different. All Instructors trained by the same Master and trained together for more then 18 years. In fact last night my Instructor and a young black belt went over to the school I listed last as "none" to teach Kickboxing.

I don't have the answer but I also don't want to paint all Taekwondo as the same nor do I want to separate them into little categories and boxes as that would also be a nightmare in itself. Taekwondo is the umbrella with a lot of different sections underneath. This goes to what my Instructor discussed before.

A. He trained Taekwondo under his Master and when seeing other schools he could not understand why they did not do as much or were incapable of certain techniques. When he discussed this with his Master he found out that Hapkido was trained as well. When he asked why he did not show as both his Master simply answered that he was trained this way as a child. That Taekwondo was simple the umbrella that he had decided to call it.

B. Later as my Instructor trained, opened his own school and then took up other martial arts bring them back to his school and teaching; a thought did cross my Instructor. He wasn't just teaching Taekwondo but a multitude of different arts. With all of the Taekwondo bashing he actually had thought about renaming it Mixed Martial Arts but soon decided that he was proud of his Taekwondo heritage and followed in his Master's footsteps and called it Taekwondo with all the others included under the umbrella.

And if you've read any other stuff from me you may remember that I've said that most who have no experience with martial arts don't even realize that what we are being taught is not just Taekwondo. That most think this is what it is suppose to be like. It is only people like myself that got really interested in it and talked with the Instructor to find this out. We do talk about where the techniques come from but I would bet many don't pay attention as not much emphasis is put on it. They are techniques that flow together seamlessly due to good instruction by our Instructor. We never stop and say, today we are doing BJJ. Or today we are doing Hapkido. This is strictly Taekwondo. This is Muay Thai. It is Taekwondo very simple if you don't over think it.

The thing is, you can't please everybody outside of Taekwondo as they will never understand it. For that matter you can't please everybody inside of Taekwondo as they will also never understand it. Taekwondo is many things to many people. It is an umbrella of itself or many arts blended in. It is taught the way the Instructor interprets it and wants to teach it. As long as we come together as one to announce that we love Taekwondo then that is all that really matters.

#229305 - 02/16/06 05:12 PM Re: "traditional" & "modern" TKD ... ? [Re: Dereck]
trevek Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Poland
I once interviewed Master Hee Il Cho and asked him how far you can adapt TKD before it isn't TKD anymore.

"As long as you remember what your roots are it will always be TKD"

Supporting everyone saying "nuts to cancer"

#229306 - 02/16/06 05:14 PM Re: "traditional" & "modern" TKD ... ? [Re: trevek]
Dereck Offline
Prolific

Quote:

I once interviewed Master Hee Il Cho and asked him how far you can adapt TKD before it isn't TKD anymore.

"As long as you remember what your roots are it will always be TKD"

Nicely put ...amen.

#229307 - 02/16/06 05:17 PM Re: "traditional" & "modern" TKD ... ? [Re: Dereck]
trevek Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Poland
I'll try to find the tape with the interview and submit it to FA library if you like.

Supporting everyone saying "nuts to cancer"

#229308 - 02/16/06 05:54 PM Re: "traditional" & "modern" TKD ... ? [Re: trevek]
TeK9 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Northern California, USA
Trevek it's traditional because it's the samething as Japanese karate. Only back then it was called Korean Karate. Which is the same thing as Japanese karate.

The Modern TKD is less than 40 years old, when the techniques were changed to revolved more around the sparring
Vinci

#229309 - 02/16/06 05:57 PM Re: "traditional" & "modern" TKD ... ? [Re: Dereck]
TeK9 Offline
Professional Poster

hehe good luck trying to find a proud korean who will say that TKD is a Japanese knock off. Nope not gonna happend, they will claim TKD is 2000 years old. Anyone eles tired of seeing those two silly images of fat men who lok like their dancing and not performing martial arts.
Vinci

#229310 - 02/16/06 06:01 PM Re: "traditional" & "modern" TKD ... ? [Re: Dereck]
TeK9 Offline
Professional Poster

eww if you leave TKD so losely then you cant really talk about it now can you. Nah its best to get some particulars so we can categorize it and put it away nicely so it can be looked at and disected. After all whenever you see someone publishing an article about new kicks in TKD and new techniques it's always so scientifically now.
Vinci

#229311 - 02/16/06 06:08 PM Re: "traditional" & "modern" TKD ... ? [Re: TeK9]
Dereck Offline
Prolific

Quote:

hehe good luck trying to find a proud korean who will say that TKD is a Japanese knock off. Nope not gonna happend, they will claim TKD is 2000 years old. Anyone eles tired of seeing those two silly images of fat men who lok like their dancing and not performing martial arts.

Not sure what this is referring too?

#229312 - 02/16/06 06:11 PM Re: "traditional" & "modern" TKD ... ? [Re: TeK9]
Dereck Offline
Prolific

Quote:

eww if you leave TKD so losely then you cant really talk about it now can you. Nah its best to get some particulars so we can categorize it and put it away nicely so it can be looked at and disected. After all whenever you see someone publishing an article about new kicks in TKD and new techniques it's always so scientifically now.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

I thought you might find this useful.

Just let me know what label my Taekwondo gets? Thanks.

#229313 - 02/16/06 06:12 PM Re: "traditional" & "modern" TKD ... ? [Re: Dereck]
TeK9 Offline
Professional Poster

It refers to TKD's history. And how it is full of controversy. A. is it korean karate Japanese in origin or
B. Is korean karate native to korean, did korea truly have indigenous martial arts.
Vinci

Page 5 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Fight Videos
Night club fight footage and street fights captured with the world's first bouncer spy cam

How to Matrix!
Learn ten times faster with new training method. Learn entire arts for as little as $10 per disk.

Self Defense
Stun guns, pepper spray, Mace and self defense products. Alarms for personal and home use.

TASER MC26C
Stop An Urban Gorilla: Get 2 FREE TASER M26C Replacement Air Cartridges With Each New TASER M26C!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga