FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 65 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Shanktotheright, royal, bobgalle100011, agenonline, TooNice
22862 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
THEFOREVERMAN 3
MattJ 2
royal 2
Dobbersky 2
cxt 1
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
New Topics
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by Marcus Charles
03/24/14 04:39 PM
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by Dobbersky
03/20/14 05:45 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
AKK kata question
by
09/04/05 01:27 PM
Recent Posts
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by THEFOREVERMAN
04/16/14 08:22 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by THEFOREVERMAN
04/16/14 08:20 AM
AKK kata question
by MattJ
04/04/14 05:45 PM
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Forum Stats
22862 Members
36 Forums
35546 Topics
432378 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#229134 - 02/09/06 01:24 PM Re: Step Sparring Note Book [Re: Shyro]
matxtx Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: england
both standing naturaly.(iv done it with them punching from the gaurd to)

attacker punches with the right hand

defender steps back as he does a outer forearm inward block
with the left hand.in a stance with the left leg forward .(L stance maybe if your comfy in it.)

immediatly after ,flowing off the block, step closer (foot shift the left foot to make more of a walking stance) as you do a ridge hand to their stomach area with the your right though hit with the whole arm..like a closeline.getting in real close.(maybe keeping the left arm that blocked covering your face if they elbow back)

leave the arm there and push with it bringing your right foot behind their leg to sweep them as you shove them over with your right arm.stamp on them if you need to.

all done in a flowing way.and as fast as possible without losing power on the strike.

Edited by matxtx (02/09/06 01:34 PM)

#229135 - 02/09/06 09:47 PM Re: Step Sparring Note Book [Re: TeK9]
TKDBlackBelt Offline

Loc: USA
Attacker-throws a right puch to the jaw in a front stance position.
Deffender- steps back and throws a sidekick with his/her foot landing behind the attackers right leg.
Deffender- Throws a punch to the kidney with right arm while left arm is ste on attackers shoulder.
Deffender- pulls on attackers right shoulder with his/her left hand and sweeps the attackers right leg out from ounder them.
Deffender- ends with a downward punch to the face.
TKDBlackBelt
"Ability may get you to the top, but it takes character to keep you there."
-John Wooden

#229136 - 02/10/06 12:00 AM Re: Step Sparring Note Book [Re: TKDBlackBelt]
BrianS Offline
Higher rank than you
Professional Poster

Loc: Northwest Arkansas
I guess these aren't all supposed to actually work,lol.

#229137 - 02/10/06 02:05 AM Re: Step Sparring Note Book [Re: BrianS]
Dereck Offline
Prolific

Loc: Great White North
Quote:

I guess these aren't all supposed to actually work,lol.

We talk about this in class all the time Brian. No ... more then likely you could not possibly perform all of these manuevers in one instance. If you can then you are nothing but a bully. The reason we practice the ones I listed above is for you to recognize that you can use certain techniques in different situation. To give you options so that you are not just stuck with one idea that if doesn't work you are dead in the water ... and maybe for real.

It is kind of like when we are working on techniques before sparring. One person will round house maybe two or three times and the other person is stepping back to evade and then shoots to the side and counter with a front kick, punches, back kick, back roundhouse, etc. It is all about reaction to a certain action and knowing there are several options. The more you do them the more you will recognize and be able to react accordingly.

I don't know if I explained that well enough for you to understand. Sometimes I wish I could upload you to the computer and then download you to mine and then we could go to class and go over drills to make things more clearer. Some people have a gift for explaining things but I don't think I have that nack. I type and can see it in my head but when I read things it doesn't seem "just" right. Sometimes seeing is better. I wish that I could join those in the East for their get together and go over some of this ... which I'm guessing they train similar but do it differently are call it something else. I'm rambling now so I will quit while I'm ahead.

#229138 - 02/10/06 02:22 AM Re: Step Sparring Note Book [Re: Dereck]
BrianS Offline
Higher rank than you
Professional Poster

Loc: Northwest Arkansas
I understand what you are saying Dereck,but that is not what is being practiced in alot of dojo's.

If someone was standing close enough to punch you and went for it would you step back and sidekick them and follow it up with alot of hooey? Ofcourse not,but they ARE being taught this as self defense,it's futile to practice this way.

One step sparring should be geared to what actually works,then follow up with timing and distance.

"upload me!" I'll upload you!!

#229139 - 02/10/06 09:21 AM Re: Step Sparring Note Book [Re: BrianS]
Dereck Offline
Prolific

Quote:

If someone was standing close enough to punch you and went for it would you step back and sidekick them and follow it up with alot of hooey?

I guess it depends on the situation. For me my instinct from my training is to have my hands up to redirect the punch by striking that appendage with one of my hands while at the same time following up with a punch or strike myself followed by repeated strikes, knees, elbows or what ever my brain can think of at that time. OR just get the hell out of the way and get my hands up ready for the next one. With hands up the lead hand can trap or redirect punches. Back hand can deliver blows or also redirect punches. I guess it all depends on the situation, where you are, surroundings, who you are with, etc. I do see what you are saying.

Now if I could get you to get really close to your screen ... ... get ready for up load and down load dude ... ... .

#229140 - 02/10/06 10:50 AM Re: Step Sparring Note Book [Re: BrianS]
TeK9 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Northern California, USA
Okay I am [censored], you moderators have totally F'ed up my thread with your negative comments and your chit chat...

Stop being so damn judgemental and pessimistic. There is more than one way to train. Dereck I'm sorry man, but this was supposed to be the one thread on the forum which was just to show soliderity. We have so many different points of views and debates many of which stem from my post and the replies I get and responses I give. I wanted to create a thread in which all TKD/Korean sylist could contribite in a positive way. Away from criticism and judgment. And I just cant believe it would be the moderators to mess things up.

If anyone has a way to improve a step sparring technique or a variation of it that could be more effective then please post it. But dont put down the original post. Moderators should please check themselves.

Oh and please if you must post a statement or positive comment always follow it by a one step excercise to keep things moving forward.

Attacker - lunge punches with right hand
defender- outside block with knife hand, then grab the attacking arm(with blocking hand). Step in with your right foot at a 45 degree angle, palm heel the attackers face(with right palm). Throw a right cross elbow to the attackers face followed by a back fist (right hand)to the face while maintaining a hold on the attackers(punching arm). Step back with the right foot and use your right hand grab hold of the attackers right wrist and turn it into a reverse wrist grab followed by a fron kick to the groin with the right foot. Maintain your hold of the reverse wrist bar for submission.

P.s. Dereck if you have to erase or edit this post could you please leave the One step exercise up? And if possible could you erase the chit chat you and brian had since those post do not have one step excercises on them.
Vinci

#229141 - 02/10/06 11:03 AM Re: Step Sparring Note Book [Re: VDJ]
schanne Offline
breaks things

Loc: Woodbury NJ
Yeah...nice!

#229142 - 02/10/06 01:17 PM Re: Step Sparring Note Book [Re: TeK9]
Dereck Offline
Prolific

TeK9, please accept my apology as that was not my intent to derail this thread. Brian questioned that these wouldn't work and I was simply trying to tell him that they were meant for training so individuals can recognize instances and to give them options. That they were training exercises. I meant no disrespect to derail your thread. Again my apology.

Quote:

P.s. Dereck if you have to erase or edit this post could you please leave the One step exercise up? And if possible could you erase the chit chat you and brian had since those post do not have one step excercises on them.

That won't be possible as then I would have to delete too much including parts of your posting and there would still be other postings with edit information in them and will look like a real mess. I will however make sure that this stays on course from this point on.

So to keep this post going ... what can I add?

Attacker - throws a left hand jab punch at your head followed immediately by power back punch with their right.

Defender - with an open boxers stance (meaning bodies are open to the same side but your are off at an angle like a boxer), the right front hand blocks/traps the left jab, left hand does a striking block to their power had while body/head turn slightly to the side to minimize the punch should it make it through the defense ... and followed up immediately with force and commitment of stepping in and palm heel striking the jaw upwards followed immediately by a left hand punch to the solarplex.

#229143 - 02/10/06 04:16 PM Re: Step Sparring Note Book [Re: TKDBlackBelt]
TKDBlackBelt Offline

Loc: USA
My thread early was kinda criticised so I wanted to clarify it. This is what part of what we call one-step. While practicing a person would throw a punch and then allow their apponent to to a combination of moves, its kinda like a kata with one as a dummy. We then switch positions and the attacker is now a deffender and the deffeender is now the attack. This one is part of a set we call sweeps, it gives us a chance to practice tripping a person off their feet. This is all done with no contact except the sweep.

TKDBlackBelt
"Ability may get you to the top, but it takes character to keep you there."
-John Wooden

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Self Defense
Offering stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and other self defense products not available in stores.

Pepper Spray
Online distributor of self defense supplies like videos, stun guns, Tasers and more.

Spy Cameras
Surveillance, Hidden Cameras, Nanny Cams, Digital Recorders, Spy Equipment, Pocket DVR's and more

Stun Gun
Wholesale Directlhy to the Public! Stun gun and Taser Guns and personal protection products. Keep your loved ones at home safe!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga