FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 38 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
old1, Leonar, ManLar, Vimido, raya
22925 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
futsaowingchun 4
Ronin1966 3
Matakiant 1
cxt 1
ergees 1
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
New Topics
The Classic Pak Sao drill
by futsaowingchun
Today at 10:32 AM
wing chun kicks and knees
by futsaowingchun
10/09/14 12:55 AM
2014 European Championships Juniors: the Gallery
by ergees
10/05/14 10:56 AM
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
09/30/14 12:10 AM
Living a full life violence free...
by GojuRyuboy13
09/25/14 08:50 AM
Wing Chun-internal training
by futsaowingchun
09/23/14 09:01 PM
Martial News
by Matakiant
09/23/14 06:42 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Leo's Judo Journal
by Leo_E_49
01/24/12 02:58 AM
Recent Posts
The Classic Pak Sao drill
by futsaowingchun
Today at 10:32 AM
Leo's Judo Journal
by swordy
10/11/14 09:21 AM
Living a full life violence free...
by cxt
10/10/14 10:08 AM
The Karate punch
by Ronin1966
10/09/14 03:16 PM
wing chun kicks and knees
by futsaowingchun
10/09/14 12:55 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Ronin1966
10/08/14 09:22 PM
2014 European Championships Juniors: the Gallery
by ergees
10/05/14 10:56 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by AndyLA
10/04/14 10:20 AM
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
09/30/14 12:10 AM
Wing Chun-internal training
by futsaowingchun
09/23/14 09:01 PM
Forum Stats
22925 Members
36 Forums
35582 Topics
432509 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#228719 - 02/07/06 07:03 AM Paralyzing Points?
Eveal Offline
the freshmaker

Hey everyone,

I am curious what do you think of paralyzing "PPs". Do you think they are real or no. I was told one time by someone that pressure points were used to transport fish. They said that an acupuncturist would actually place a needle on a certain point of a fish to paralyze it to be able to carry more in a container of water. How much truth do you think is involve in this statement.

#228720 - 02/07/06 07:40 AM Re: Paralyzing Points? [Re: Eveal]
Paulol Offline

sounds fishy to me

#228721 - 02/07/06 08:02 AM Re: Paralyzing Points? [Re: Paulol]
Gavin Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Southend, Essex, UK
Quote:

sounds fishy to me

Paulol that was bloody awful, so bad it was bordering on offensive!!!!! I think I'm going to add something about poor jokes in the rules section! Jeez!

Righty, that story does seem a bit fishy to me (DOH!!!! ). They are plenty of points on the body that will cause local paralysis to parts of the body, Gall Bladder 31 for example...the good ol' dead leg. I've never heard of any that will cause complete paralysis of the entire point. I suppose along the Governor Vessel there are certain points that due to their location along the spine, could in theory cause complete paralysis of the body if the vertabrae were damaged. However this would be done due to structual damage to the spinal cord as opposed to a PP strike.

Gav

#228722 - 02/07/06 08:11 AM Re: Paralyzing Points? [Re: Gavin]
Eveal Offline
the freshmaker

Hey Gavin,

Thanks man. I am very impressed with your dedication to the pressure points. It is something that my instructor has been trained in also and I have had a few KOs done on myself. So I know first hand that they work. Keep up the work and the Point of the Week is giving me more things to add to my arsenal so keep it up also!

#228723 - 02/07/06 09:09 AM Re: Paralyzing Points? [Re: Eveal]
Gavin Offline
Professional Poster

Eveal,

Thanks for the praise mate and I'm glad my ramblings are making sense to someone. Unfortunately due to studies, training, teaching and work, I'm not getting as much time to put as much stuff down as I like. Thing to remember with the PP's is that first and foremost they are just points of the body that make you go "Ouch, s~~t that hurt!"....I've spent ages and ages poking around my own PP's and other peoples just trying to find out the best ways to work them. Books, DVD's and courses have served to give me new places to poke. Thats about where I'm at with, I'm just starting to venture into the TCM side of things (from a healing point of view) and have vaguely looked at the Kyusho side of things. Hopefully this is the sort of thing that I'll be able to go a lot deeper into with Russell at some point, but at the mo I busy with other aspects of his vast knowledge.

But, basically get poking around and you'll probably find more Ouchy places than I could ever list!!!

Gav

#228724 - 02/07/06 11:01 AM Re: Paralyzing Points? [Re: Eveal]
Kempoman Offline
Veteran

Loc: Houston, TX
While there are some points (like Gavin has already mentioned) that cause local paralysis (LI-9,10[Arm]; GB-31[Leg]) there are no points that will cause the person to be unable to move when struck. However, there are plenty of tuite (torite) applications that cause a paralytic effect called 'cross-extensor reflex action'. When one of these techniques is applied the uke is unable to move or attack during the response. The effect is much like what happens to crawdad's(crayfish's) pinchers when his back is squeezed.

-KM

#228725 - 02/07/06 11:25 AM Re: Paralyzing Points? [Re: Kempoman]
Gavin Offline
Professional Poster

Return of the Kempomeister! Long time no hear dude!

#228726 - 02/11/06 08:12 PM Re: Paralyzing Points? [Re: Gavin]
paradoxbox Offline
Enthusiast

Just about all pressure points cause paralysis in the immediate area that was struck, and I am sure there are pressure points that will cause an overall paralysis of a human for a short period.

The story about paralysing fish is not true. If a fish stops moving through the water, it will die. Fish need to keep water moving past their gills in order to extract oxygen from the water. It would make more sense just to kill the fish by hitting it on the head then throwing it in a container. Paralzying it with a needle would only keep it alive for a few extra minutes and the time lost to needle a tankload of fish would not be worth the effort.

#228727 - 03/04/06 10:09 AM Re: Paralyzing Points? [Re: Kempoman]
underdog Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mansfield, MA U.S.A.
I agree. Fortunately there are less complicated ways via pressure points to get the advantage of paralysis. If you were attempting or seeking a moment of paralysis, then I think you are looking for a free time frame. A time frame is like a turn to move in a game. In fighting, you don't want to waist a time frame. You do want uke to waste or miss his. By stunning an opponent, you disorient and weaken him. He can't see clearly and may be off balance. That is easily achievable with pressure point strikes to the head and neck. You don't have to KO or paralyse someone, and you get your free time frame.

#228728 - 04/23/06 02:36 PM Re: Paralyzing Points? [Re: underdog]
Ashigaru Offline
Stranger

Hi folks, I'm new to the site and currently studying jujitsu. You guys seem for the most part knowldegeable, resourcesful and friendly. (what? get on with it? ok)

Our grand master is very keen to teach basic pressure point work and he teaches something new every seminar we attend, it's interesting to say the least. as one other poster commented I find them effective for "putting the hurt on" in a friendly class with another student who can "take a few digs" (our club terminology).

My real question is this, I attended a Freestyle TKD club for a couple of years and one of our instructors used to use several points in the leg / arm for pain control, this was ineffectual as far as I was concerned (I think he was doing it wrong) but other people said they did feel the benefit.

Does anyone have any experience of this use of pressure points for this purpose and if so, are there any useful links you could suggest?

Thanks in advance.

Declan (Ireland)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Ames, Cord, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Ryukyu Art
Artifacts from the Ryukyu Kingdom missing since WWII. Visit www.ShisaLion.Org to view pictures

Best Stun Guns
Self Defense Products-stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and more

Surveillance 4U
Complete surveillance systems for covert operations or secure installation security

Asylum Images
Book presents photo tour of the Trans-Allegany Lunatic Asylum. A must if you're going to take a ghost tour!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga