FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 27 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
TomRosenberg, jessylin, play, Keith_G, LeroyCFischer
22937 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
jwwmantis 2
futsaowingchun 1
Zombie Zero 1
Beefcake 1
LeroyCFischer 1
December
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
New Topics
Freeing Hand-Wing Chun's last movements
by futsaowingchun
12/17/14 09:40 PM
2015 Master Yang Jwing-Ming Seminar
by jwwmantis
12/05/14 10:36 PM
The Beginners Guide To Stretching
by
12/27/06 11:43 AM
Your true goal
by
03/03/06 07:16 AM
Recent Posts
Freeing Hand-Wing Chun's last movements
by futsaowingchun
12/17/14 09:40 PM
Your true goal
by Beefcake
12/11/14 02:44 AM
The Beginners Guide To Stretching
by LeroyCFischer
12/04/14 02:07 AM
Forum Stats
22937 Members
36 Forums
35591 Topics
432526 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#228637 - 02/10/06 09:30 AM Re: Taekwondoists experience at IKO Kyokushin dojo [Re: padawanneo000]
fmorris Offline

I tried to delete this out of here for you fmorris but I guess once it is in then it is in. Next time if you run into this problem you can delete it out but make sure you unselect everything at the bottom and it will eliminate it all together.

Edited by Dereck (02/10/06 12:19 PM)

#228638 - 02/10/06 09:35 AM Re: Taekwondoists experience at IKO Kyokushin dojo [Re: fmorris]
fmorris Offline

Quote:

This is going to put you in an atmosphere where everyone is on the same page about how sparring should be, if you want to go full contact. This is the only difference between those styles and MOST TKD schools. I won't say all schools.

That's an assumption, although I'm happy you said "most." At our school KO's during sparring are OK. It's very similar to knockdown karate rules. Differences one would notice are the de-emphasis on grabbing or clinching related throws and techniques. We attempt to rely on our feet and fists, though we have options for when that falls through. I feel it is advantageous to be able to strike those who attept to grab or clench when fighting. The timing and distance are acquired skills, and having those skills have served me nicely when I've fought those who like to clinch. So I appreciate the emphasis on striking over holding that we use. When clinched we use knees, and sweeps, etc., but like I stated, these are de-emphasized, as compared to Karate. I think that when a schools start to learn and integrate techniques from other styles, styles can almost be viewed as a set of rules and emphasized techniques rather than a completely foreign activity. For instance, if one is going to compete in knockdown Karate, they should realize that sweeps are the key technique, at least if you want to win on points. People who are successful in those competitions will take really hard shots to be able to sweep opponents. They will score, and the person who landed the hard shot, because it is not a knockout or the person hit is good at not showing pain or injury, gets nothing. You can see how this creates a situation where sweeps are emphasized. Anyway, people who have had MA experience watched me and one of my partners spar and thought we were kickboxers. I'm not sure how to feel about that. My teacher has faced the same issues. People have come to his school, fought his students, gotten hurt, and angrily proclaimed "this is not TKD!" I wonder how that makes him feel, since he is in his late 60's and started training at age 12 or 13? Just some food for thought.

Edited by Dereck (02/10/06 12:30 PM)

#228639 - 02/10/06 10:39 PM Re: Taekwondoists experience at IKO Kyokushin dojo [Re: bin]
TeK9 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Northern California, USA
I would have really loved to read what bin wrote that got his post banned.
Vinci

#228640 - 02/10/06 11:59 PM Re: Taekwondoists experience at IKO Kyokushin dojo [Re: padawanneo000]
dicen Offline

padawanneo000 its not the way they spar its how they spar. You even said it yourself it wasn't fancy, its just the strength of their attacks. If TKD practitioners sparred without all the gear it their sparring style wouldn't have made a diference. That being said if olympic sparring had no pads you wouldn't see certain kicks being done, like double roundhouse kicks or tripes lol.

I've sparred against a kenpo stylist and I was that impressed though it was point sparring and well point sparing is just like slap fighting cause kicks are pretty much ignored by the referees. Can't really see if you are improving your skills when you use the same technique over and over again.

I've sparred against a boxer once, now that was tricky for both of us, since our styles are similiar except what we use to hit the other person. My kicks kept him at bay but his bob and weeve skills are similar to tkd tactics moving just enough to get out of the way so he can counter. The problem he had was that how can you block a hard kick without getting hurt, by the time we finished sparring his arms we bruised to the point that he coulnd't lift them up past chest height. that doesn't mean I came away scot free, he landed enough body shots and a uppercut that had me seeing double. IT was fun.

I think that if TKD practictioners sparred with a little less padding, the bad reputation we apparently have would go away cause we have some very powerful kicks and I doubt anyone would be able to stand up to them if they weren't wearing any pads.

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Stun Guns
Variety of stun gun devices for your protection

Buy Pepper Spray
Worry about your family when you’re not around? Visit us today to protect everything you value.

Koryu.com
Accurate information on the ancient martial traditions of the Japanese samurai

C2 Taser
Protect yourself and loved ones from CRIME with the latest C2 Taser citizen model. Very effective.

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga