FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 23 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bartfast, ZapEm, AndyLA, danacohenn, ksusanc
22906 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Dobbersky 9
AndyLA 5
futsaowingchun 4
VDJ 2
FrankyFruits 2
August
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
New Topics
Chum Kiu 2nd section applications
by futsaowingchun
08/20/14 09:54 PM
2013 World Championship Rio: The Gallery (HD)
by ergees
08/19/14 05:22 AM
Chi Sao demonstration
by futsaowingchun
08/14/14 10:57 PM
Decent Fight channel
by FrankyFruits
08/07/14 09:19 PM
2014 European Championships Cadets Athens: Videos
by ergees
08/07/14 10:00 AM
Life goes on....
by Dobbersky
08/07/14 05:59 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
Applied center line theory
by futsaowingchun
07/28/14 08:55 AM
centerline concepts
by futsaowingchun
07/14/14 10:49 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:14 AM
Recent Posts
Chum Kiu 2nd section applications
by futsaowingchun
08/20/14 09:54 PM
2013 World Championship Rio: The Gallery (HD)
by ergees
08/19/14 05:22 AM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by VDJ
08/15/14 05:46 PM
Chi Sao demonstration
by futsaowingchun
08/14/14 10:57 PM
The Karate punch
by Dobbersky
08/12/14 05:14 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by Dobbersky
08/11/14 05:03 AM
Decent Fight channel
by FrankyFruits
08/07/14 09:19 PM
2014 European Championships Cadets Athens: Videos
by ergees
08/07/14 10:00 AM
Life goes on....
by Dobbersky
08/07/14 05:59 AM
A post for those who might become martial artists.
by AndyLA
08/06/14 07:25 AM
Forum Stats
22906 Members
36 Forums
35571 Topics
432473 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#228627 - 02/09/06 08:57 AM Re: Taekwondoists experience at IKO Kyokushin dojo [Re: MikeMartial]
bin Offline

Loc: NJ, USA
I don't understand people that bash the WTF style. What is so inferior about it? lol... such ignorance

#228628 - 02/09/06 10:41 AM Re: Taekwondoists experience at IKO Kyokushin dojo [Re: bin]
fmorris Offline

I don't see how pointing out what they really do is bashing them? Are you saying WTF fighters DO punch, DON'T yell and run away after landing kicks, DON'T bump chests? I am sure there are some that don't follow this patten, but they certainly aren't winning any national competitions, that's for sure. I'm sure you could say that they would not do that against other styles. But do not we not develop habits as fighters? Are we not training so our actions are more reflex than planned out strategies? I think if you underestimate how important reflexive or non-thought action is you're in for a surprise, as our friend got at the Karate school. As far as being insulted, I simply resent the assumption that all TKD would fare poorly against knockdown style karate, and as a TKD practitioner, you should be too. I also don't think that this is "bickering," I would hope this kind of discussion would help practitioers evaluate if WTF rules and politics are helping TKD as a martial art. I don't think they are. My final issue is that anyone who practices straight WTF competition style should not be surprised if they don't fare well against those who can punch, let alone grab, knee, elbow or sweep. Awaiting your response.

#228629 - 02/09/06 11:06 AM Re: Taekwondoists experience at IKO Kyokushin dojo [Re: padawanneo000]
traz Offline

Loc: Canada
I'm glad the OP saw that there may have been some defencies in his game, and was open minded enough to give another system some credit and to criticize his own.

#228630 - 02/09/06 01:15 PM Re: Taekwondoists experience at IKO Kyokushin dojo [Re: bin]
MikeMartial Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Quote:

I don't understand people that bash the WTF style. What is so inferior about it? lol... such ignorance

That statement makes me laugh.....can a statement be an oxymoron?

#228631 - 02/09/06 01:43 PM Re: Taekwondoists experience at IKO Kyokushin dojo [Re: fmorris]
Dereck Offline
Prolific

Loc: Great White North
Quote:

As far as being insulted, I simply resent the assumption that all TKD would fare poorly against knockdown style karate, and as a TKD practitioner, you should be too.

Trust me ... I resent this too. Obviously they have not trained where I do because if they had they would probably think differently.

Quote:

My final issue is that anyone who practices straight WTF competition style should not be surprised if they don't fare well against those who can punch, let alone grab, knee, elbow or sweep. Awaiting your response.

You know what ... I actually agree with this. I've gotten pretty close to my Instructor and he has talked to me about just about everything. His originally training was a combination of Taekwondo and Hapkido so he had solid training. He also was heavy into sparring and did this competitively across the world and was rank very high. His Korean Master told him to "not" get stuck just doing this and to "not" just teach this. That he had to be a rounded martial artist and train everything. That if he got stuck just sparring and taught just this that he would wind up like so many other schools that were not effective. He took that to heart and trains a rounded curriculum. He's a 4th Dan in Taekwondo/Hapkido. He became a Jujitsu Black Belt and is also a Machado BJJ Blue Belt. He trains and fights MMA. His curriculum has stand up, take downs and ground work. A lot of self defense and hand techniques. Throwing, sweeping and falling techniques. Forms, breaks and sparring ... but balanced.

BALANCE ... that is what makes "any" martial art effective. This does not just affect Taekwondo but Karate, Kung Fu .. and "every" other martial art.

#228632 - 02/09/06 04:03 PM Re: Taekwondoists experience at IKO Kyokushin dojo [Re: MikeMartial]
padawanneo000 Offline
Stranger

MikeMartial,

It's good to see you want to progress to a more contact style like Muay Thai or Kyokushin where the majority of all schools are taught and train this way. This is going to put you in an atmosphere where everyone is on the same page about how sparring should be, if you want to go full contact. This is the only difference between those styles and MOST TKD schools. I won't say all schools.

Now that the horse is beat to a bloody pulp...

If you're interested in a Kyokushin dojo, make sure they're IKO. I know that at least the IKO dojo's in the U.S. are headed by branch chief Shihan Gorai. Their U.S. HQ is in New York as they can probably pinpoint a dojo near you if possible.

#228633 - 02/09/06 04:58 PM Re: Taekwondoists experience at IKO Kyokushin dojo [Re: MikeMartial]
Dereck Offline
Prolific

Hey Mike, nice to see you on here again.

Quote:

While I love the art of tae kwon do, I will be moving on once I attain my black belt; in fact, I cross train in Muay Thai right now.

Muay Thai ... good for you. When you decide to move on just stop back every once in a while to keep in touch and maybe to freshen up those skills. As you get older it may be nice to come back to this.

Good hearing from you again.

#228634 - 02/09/06 06:21 PM Re: Taekwondoists experience at IKO Kyokushin dojo [Re: Dereck]
MikeMartial Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Always around, Dereck, always around.

I see you made Mod, congrats! How's the injury healing???

#228635 - 02/09/06 07:25 PM Re: Taekwondoists experience at IKO Kyokushin dojo [Re: MikeMartial]
Dereck Offline
Prolific

SORRY.

Mod .. thanks ... just recently.

Neck we are leaving as is with medication. Right bicep has a distal tendon tear but there is nothing to do but take time. The left knee which we thought was a 2nd degree ACL tear turns out to be a total torn ACL and I am to see a surgeon on March 24 to see what option for repair and then I will be out 4 months from training. With all of the medication for my neck there was no need for extra so I "adapt". I will give two thumbs up for weight lifting because without it my knee would not be able to support me like I do but since my hamstrings and all are strong I can do things that amazed Dr. Gregg and also my Instructor ... not to mention myself.

I'm thinking about going for my 1st Gup (Black/Red Belt) on March 3 so went last night to see what I could do and I surprised myself. My leg was the only thing major holding me back but I don't think I will let it this time. This way I can recover knowing I have only one more to go.

Though injuried I have been doing a large amount of grappling. Injuries haven't not hindered me ... I should rephrase that ... I have not let the injuries phase me too much. I love the ground work and look forward to more.

I hope your Muay Thai training is going well and I'm glad you are sticking it out with your Taekwondo. Good for you. Hope otherwise things are going well for you.

#228636 - 02/09/06 08:19 PM Re: Taekwondoists experience at IKO Kyokushin dojo [Re: padawanneo000]
Alex89 Offline

Loc: Montreal,Quebec,Canada
My school wouldn't do great at all against a full contact fighter, except for me of course . That's the reason why I took up BJJ, some wrestling and started applying what I learned in tae kwon do into practical attacks. People in my class tend to be full of pride, they think that they are the best fighters in the world. Sometimes, I feel like tackling those arrogant people to the ground and put them on a submission. Then I want to laugh at them and say: Hahaha what are you going to do now, eh?

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Ryukyu Art
Artifacts from the Ryukyu Kingdom missing since WWII. Visit www.ShisaLion.Org to view pictures

Best Stun Guns
Self Defense Products-stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and more

Surveillance 4U
Complete surveillance systems for covert operations or secure installation security

Asylum Images
Book presents photo tour of the Trans-Allegany Lunatic Asylum. A must if you're going to take a ghost tour!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga