FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 18 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Beefcake, WesJones, simonajones111, BUJU, Pilsungkarate
22931 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
futsaowingchun 2
charlie 2
simonajones111 1
GojuRyuboy13 1
harlan 1
November
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
New Topics
unrecognized kata
by William_Bent
11/19/14 07:05 PM
Siu Lin Tao-3rd section applications
by futsaowingchun
11/13/14 06:48 PM
Screen fighting course UK December 2014
by charlie
11/11/14 04:09 PM
Siu Lin Tao-1st section Pak Sao explanations
by futsaowingchun
11/09/14 10:30 PM
I spy kata bunkai..
by GojuRyuboy13
10/29/14 08:28 AM
Judo 2014 World Championships Juniors: The Gallery
by ergees
10/25/14 04:53 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
MA style video library
by
03/22/06 03:18 PM
Recent Posts
unrecognized kata
by William_Bent
11/19/14 07:05 PM
Siu Lin Tao-3rd section applications
by futsaowingchun
11/13/14 06:48 PM
Screen fighting course UK December 2014
by charlie
11/11/14 04:09 PM
MA style video library
by charlie
11/11/14 04:05 PM
Siu Lin Tao-1st section Pak Sao explanations
by futsaowingchun
11/09/14 10:30 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/29/14 10:01 PM
I spy kata bunkai..
by GojuRyuboy13
10/29/14 08:28 AM
Judo 2014 World Championships Juniors: The Gallery
by ergees
10/25/14 04:53 PM
Forum Stats
22931 Members
36 Forums
35588 Topics
432519 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#228617 - 02/07/06 04:41 PM Re: Taekwondoists experience at IKO Kyokushin dojo [Re: Dereck]
Neko456 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Midwest City, Ok, USA
Most modern TKD schools blend it all in just like the Karate/Kung-fu schools, now the key is to sparr using it just using it in your one steps or self defense is not the same. But better then pushing someone back by bumping chest with each other to get back in kicking range.

When I was younger, we were taught to kick in close, I now Question have you found that you can hurt someone kicking head while in punching or trapping range? Now unless you are in the air and jump away or use your foot work to slide away, I've founded it hard to do little more then shock or stun a guy kicking in that close with grion open and vunerable to sweep/take downs (even after hitting them)!!!
The mind set that kicking the head is all important reguardless of range, shows higher level of skill. Not trashing just wondering if I'm the only one seeing this after stepping away looking back for a decade.

Edited by Neko456 (02/07/06 04:45 PM)

#228618 - 02/08/06 10:00 AM Re: Taekwondoists experience at IKO Kyokushin dojo [Re: Neko456]
bin Offline

Loc: NJ, USA
This message has been deleted as there is no need to talk down to another member of this forum, nor is there any reason to use such language. There is zero tolarance allowed. Bin, please consider this your last and final warning. Thank you for your cooperation

Edited by Dereck (02/08/06 10:38 AM)

#228619 - 02/08/06 11:16 AM Re: Taekwondoists experience at IKO Kyokushin dojo [Re: padawanneo000]
fmorris Offline

What is the point of this post? First of all, just about every olympic TKD school has regional, national, and international champions and competitors. It's a marketing gimmick. Secondly, I find it insulting that you imply that all TKD will fare poorly against knockdown style karate. I've fought them, and I'll give you a completely honest assessment. They're good at sweeps. Don't assume because your school does ax kick instead of learning to punch that everyone else fights like that. If you really got it handed to you by this guy, did you ever consider it's not that they are so great, but your particular style of tkd, or you yourself, are not so great? As a TKD practitioner who has done knockdown tourneys, TKD tourneys, boxing, and kickboxing, I feel that WTF style TKD has some HUGE problems. Most of which stem from the fact that TKD schools have lost the grasp of what a "successful" technique is. I'm willing to bet this is why you got hit as well. Success in most TKD means: 1.) do roundhouse or axe kick, 2.)make a loud noise against the chest pad, 3.)run away and yell with your hand in the air or come chest to chest and stick you arms out. Success in reality, if you are using TKD,should mean: 1.) I have kicked the person anywhere necessary on the legs, body or head to incapacitate them, 2.) I have punched the person anywhere on the body or head to incapacitate them, 3.) I have used my knees, elbows or head to strike the person and incapacitate them, 4.) these did't work and I've been grabbed so I use sweeps, throws, takedowns, joint locks, my teeth or whatever else I can think of. Another thing you may want to consider that effects the outcome of fights is the education that a person has about other styles. Lots of people, especially those who teach other styles, know at least something about TKD. Did you bother to learn much about their sparring rules before you accepted a match? If you didn't, then you got what you deserved. And shame on you for being another person who makes TKD look bad. And lastly, if you train there, and someone from yet another school bests you (which will probably happen), will you change schools again? You should realize that EVERYONE who fights eventually loses. There is so much wrong with your post I'll just stop now.

Edited by fmorris (02/08/06 11:49 AM)

#228620 - 02/08/06 02:02 PM Re: Taekwondoists experience at IKO Kyokushin dojo [Re: bin]
Neko456 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Midwest City, Ok, USA
I guess I made another person mad, Its just my opinon and its not knock anyone and defintely not TKD, like fmorris I know some tough TKD fighters that can fight in any arena because they have trained with other systems. The more you do that the more you know how to condition and what to be expect and how to prepare for it.

I know TKD fighters that hold their own under any set of rule or no rules. And can use their TKD experince to an advantage. Where I like to punch and grab sweep & stomp. They can knock you down with their kicks and stomp you.

Its how you train not what you train in. TKD is as effective as anyother MA, but are you. If that makes you mad tough stuff, the truth hurts. By the way its just my o.

Without the curse words explain your point of view, it maybe interesting hearing it.

Edited by Neko456 (02/08/06 04:14 PM)

#228621 - 02/08/06 03:34 PM Re: Taekwondoists experience at IKO Kyokushin dojo [Re: Neko456]
fmorris Offline

In case there's any confusion, I was commenting on the original post, not any of the replies above...

#228622 - 02/08/06 04:45 PM Re: Taekwondoists experience at IKO Kyokushin dojo [Re: fmorris]
bin Offline

Loc: NJ, USA
You say the original poster of this thread has insulted you...

You WTF haters have insulted me. You think you have the "real TKD"? Please.. don't even start.

TKD practitioners bickering amongst themselves just make us look even worse. Cut the "I have the real TKD" and "WTF sucks" crap out.

#228623 - 02/08/06 04:59 PM Re: Taekwondoists experience at IKO Kyokushin dojo [Re: bin]
oldman Offline
Professional Poster

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

#228624 - 02/08/06 05:01 PM Re: Taekwondoists experience at IKO Kyokushin dojo [Re: oldman]
Dereck Offline
Prolific

Loc: Great White North
Is this like garbage in garbage out?

#228625 - 02/08/06 05:04 PM Re: Taekwondoists experience at IKO Kyokushin dojo [Re: Dereck]
oldman Offline
Professional Poster

Trash Bin? Trash talk. R2D2 ? Something like that.

#228626 - 02/09/06 04:09 AM Re: Taekwondoists experience at IKO Kyokushin dojo [Re: padawanneo000]
MikeMartial Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Quote:

Purpose of this thread is to spark a discussion between you fellow taekwondoist reguarding how you feel your school would fair against full contact fighter. For me this was an eye opener and now I know why taekwondo gets the bad rap it does.

Excellent, excellent post, padawanneo000.

I've been dealing with a lot of the same issues myself...and I don't think these issues are new.

The school I train at is an off-shoot of ITF TKD; more hands, no sine wave. In fact, it may not be all that different from kyokushin.

It all comes down to how you train when you spar. We use typical foot and hand protection, yet practice a "no contact" type of sparring. In tournaments, points are score based on controoled techniques that come within 2" of your target. Probably very similar to other ITF styles.

IMO, for a person to practice "no contact" over the course of their martial arts career is highly, highly detramental, because of the exact experience you had.

Now, obviously, contact is not for everyone, and this becomes a very torn issue for schools/instructors, and students.

I actually had this conversation with another student on Monday; I asked him this:

If your are never at risk to actually get hit, how are you supposed to learn to defend yourself??

There's a few black belts I try and spar with regularly----we have an unspoken "consent" for light contact. It makes the world of a difference for me as far as sparring enjoyment goes. When a 3rd degree black belt is throwing a full force back kick at you, you tend to learn to get the heck outa way, quickly. To answer your question, I believe I would fair well in a full contact fight, as would others at my school. But many would have a very rude awakening.

It's sad to say there's some who look more like they are dancing than sparring. I won't go into it more than that, but they could not defend themselves if their life depended on it. And these people outrank me by a few belts.

While I love the art of tae kwon do, I will be moving on once I attain my black belt; in fact, I cross train in Muay Thai right now. I truely wish there was a Kyokushin school in my area.

This seems like such a delicate issue; I'd be very interested in hearing what my head instructors have to say, but I'm not sure how I could even attempt to bring it up without sounding disrespectful.

This is, no doubt, an issue that has faced TKD since it became popular; it's also an issue that must be dealt with on an individual level, and has no easy answer.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Ryukyu Art
Artifacts from the Ryukyu Kingdom missing since WWII. Visit www.ShisaLion.Org to view pictures

Best Stun Guns
Self Defense Products-stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and more

Surveillance 4U
Complete surveillance systems for covert operations or secure installation security

Asylum Images
Book presents photo tour of the Trans-Allegany Lunatic Asylum. A must if you're going to take a ghost tour!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga