FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 28 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
mohdnabeel, sunny, swordy, jerrybarry24, SenseiGregT
22915 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Ed_Morris 4
AndyLA 3
futsaowingchun 2
Zombie Zero 2
Matakiant 2
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
New Topics
STX Kickboxing Seminar
by Marcus Charles
09/09/14 06:57 PM
Biu Tzu- 1st section applications
by futsaowingchun
09/05/14 10:56 PM
2014 World Championships Chelyabinsk: The Gallery
by ergees
09/01/14 03:51 AM
Biu Tzu- Snake hand strike
by futsaowingchun
08/27/14 09:02 PM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
mindfullness meditation
by
01/06/09 11:27 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by
05/13/07 08:02 AM
Eugue Ryu
by
03/27/07 12:06 AM
Recent Posts
attacked from behind
by AndyLA
Yesterday at 09:05 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Matakiant
09/18/14 07:11 AM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
09/18/14 06:07 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by Zombie Zero
09/16/14 04:43 PM
Eugue Ryu
by kolslaw
09/12/14 03:35 PM
Biu Tzu- 1st section applications
by futsaowingchun
09/05/14 10:56 PM
2014 World Championships Chelyabinsk: The Gallery
by ergees
09/01/14 03:51 AM
mindfullness meditation
by log1call
08/31/14 09:43 PM
Biu Tzu- Snake hand strike
by futsaowingchun
08/27/14 09:02 PM
Forum Stats
22915 Members
36 Forums
35575 Topics
432495 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#228130 - 02/07/06 08:57 PM Re: Gangs [Re: paradoxbox]
RockHard Huy Offline

No experience with the larger syndicates/organizations; but, some with the local Asian street gangs and such. From what I've seen personally, there are three general groups of fighters.
- Unskilled (We aren't born karate masters )
- Boxing
- Watered down Kung-Fu

Fights almost never stay exclusively hand to hand, however. Usually weapons are pulled out and the crowd McScatters. (Guns, Bats, cro-bars, Butcher Knives, etc.)

#228131 - 02/07/06 10:26 PM Re: Gangs [Re: Cord]
JoelM Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Georgia, USA
I'm not saying that I don't believe them, Cord, and their answers make sense, I'm just checking to see how they actually came up with their facts since they did not state that in their first posts.

Paradox, thank you for clarifying.

#228132 - 02/07/06 11:45 PM Re: Gangs [Re: JoelM]
Taison Offline
The Forum Dragon
Professional Poster

Loc: BKK, Thailand
I guess you've never seen Thai Mafia's right? That's because there are none. In Thailand we do have the Chinese Triad and they're annoying as they walk around taking "protection fees" from illegal shops. If you don't pay, *smash*, your shop is torn down and you're left with a threat.

These thugs aren't trained. One guy is like a skinny Thai that anyone can beat. Beat him, 10 min later, another 15 comes. In Thailand, a popular saying is "Strength comes in numbers".

Weapon of choice? Well, knife and guns. Anything primitive and easy to reach for.

Muay Thai trained? no, far from it. They think kicking a sandbag makes them a boxer. They are a pathetic bunch of losers when compared to MT Boxers. They have no honour whatsoever.

-Taison out

#228133 - 02/08/06 12:31 AM Re: Gangs [Re: paradoxbox]
Cord Offline
Prolific

Loc: Cambridge UK.
Quote:

[..seedy hostess bars are a good place to start, if you're feeling brave.

Erm, surely you would have to feel something more than 'brave' to find yourself n such an establishment

As for the Tattoo in japanese culture, thanks for your perspective, i was lead to believe that things were relaxing over there, particularly with the youth and their perception of tats (in Manga/anime/video games, it is now more often than not the hero who sports the ink), but there are still prejudiced views in the west towards them, so stands to reason there would be in the east, I was informed that they were getting more common, but i trust your judgement. Is the negativity just towards traditional japanese work, or to western inspired tats as well? just curious, feel free to ignore the question, or pM me to prevent derailing the thread

Edited by Cord (02/08/06 12:33 AM)

#228134 - 02/09/06 07:42 AM Re: Gangs [Re: JoelM]
azjudoaikijitsu Offline

Loc: Mesa Az
Quote:

Quote:

Most don't have traditional MA training, they cary weapons, and work in mass numbers, which is all you need.

The same question I had for paradoxbox, Mr. az, what is the source of your knowledge? Lots of mafioso out in Arizona?

As a matter of fact yes, Sammy the Bull was caught here running a drug ring. My cousin was in the Aryan brotherhood, before he cleaned up his life, and there are other gangs here too. It just makes sense also if you think about it. Why try and beat a guy up using MA when a gun/knife/baseball/bat plus 10 "associates" works better. These guys don't have strict codes of honor and sense of combat and fair play, they're thugs

#228135 - 02/09/06 10:48 AM Re: Gangs [Re: azjudoaikijitsu]
JoelM Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Georgia, USA
As I said before, I never said it doesn't make sense to use weapons and numbers. But if you read the actual topic of the thread, the question is about weaponless arts of choice of gang members.

#228136 - 02/09/06 11:23 AM Re: Gangs [Re: JoelM]
Cord Offline
Prolific

Loc: Cambridge UK.
i wasnt having a pop at you Joel, I just think that the answer to the initial question is pretty much that moral ambiguity, aggression and a ruthless streak are the overiding physical/mental tools used in this lifestyle, these are then expressed through weapons, not open hands.

In Britain, The Krays, Lenny Maclean, and many other 'Face's' were good boxers in their day, and Boxing and the London underworld have very srong links, so that would be the skillset here; though guns and razors were still preferred over mano a mano during the 50's and 60's when they were at their 'busiest'.

#228137 - 02/10/06 12:33 AM Re: Gangs [Re: paradoxbox]
elly12 Offline

Loc: Anchorage, Alaska
My wife is from Okinawa and says most tend to wear long sleeves to cover thier tatoos, and PDB could honestly have spokne to someone with tatoos, not necessarily Yakuza. I lived in Osaka for 2 year 4 block from the America Village and the one time they were pointed out to me, they were a very well dressed group. My brother-in-law told me the bars they frequented were owned by usually owned by one of the bosses and pretty nice. PDB could have gone into one of the bars and spoke with what we (americans) like to call a wanna-be! Sometimes this happens. I myself have never spoken to such people, although I lived and worked Japan for 10 years.

#228138 - 02/10/06 08:31 AM Re: Gangs [Re: Cord]
globetrotter Offline
does unto others before they do unto him

Loc: ny usa
Quote:

i wasnt having a pop at you Joel, I just think that the answer to the initial question is pretty much that moral ambiguity, aggression and a ruthless streak are the overiding physical/mental tools used in this lifestyle, these are then expressed through weapons, not open hands.

In Britain, The Krays, Lenny Maclean, and many other 'Face's' were good boxers in their day, and Boxing and the London underworld have very srong links, so that would be the skillset here; though guns and razors were still preferred over mano a mano during the 50's and 60's when they were at their 'busiest'.

I think that american gangsters had ties to boxers too, in their day. I just get the feeling that, with guns being so avialable and cops being so limited in their responses, their is no reason for a gangster to work for years to build up boxing skills and strenght, he just pops down a few hundred bucks for a gun.

#228139 - 02/10/06 03:36 PM Re: Gangs [Re: JoelM]
azjudoaikijitsu Offline

Loc: Mesa Az
Quote:

As I said before, I never said it doesn't make sense to use weapons and numbers. But if you read the actual topic of the thread, the question is about weaponless arts of choice of gang members.

Thats the point were making, they have don't have specialized weaponless trainig. There arent these secret MA's being taught to Yakuza, and Triad guys. There just thugs

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Cord, Dedicated1, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Fight Videos
Night club fight footage and street fights captured with the world's first bouncer spy cam

How to Matrix!
Learn ten times faster with new training method. Learn entire arts for as little as $10 per disk.

Self Defense
Stun guns, pepper spray, Mace and self defense products. Alarms for personal and home use.

TASER MC26C
Stop An Urban Gorilla: Get 2 FREE TASER M26C Replacement Air Cartridges With Each New TASER M26C!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga