FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 51 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Shanktotheright, royal, bobgalle100011, agenonline, TooNice
22862 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
THEFOREVERMAN 3
Dobbersky 3
MattJ 2
royal 2
ergees 1
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
New Topics
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by Marcus Charles
03/24/14 04:39 PM
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by Dobbersky
03/20/14 05:45 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
AKK kata question
by
09/04/05 01:27 PM
Recent Posts
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by THEFOREVERMAN
Yesterday at 08:22 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by THEFOREVERMAN
Yesterday at 08:20 AM
AKK kata question
by MattJ
04/04/14 05:45 PM
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Forum Stats
22862 Members
36 Forums
35546 Topics
432378 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#227388 - 02/02/06 02:40 PM Re: RUN for the door....... [Re: harlan]
Reiki Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: MiddleEarth
Its what I tell mine as well!

#227389 - 02/03/06 12:02 AM Re: RUN for the door....... [Re: Ives]
Ronin1966 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: East Coast, United States
Hello Ives:

<<(And defining the balance.)

Not sure I understand your meaning here yet... how would twirling the bo (whatever its particular length) "define" my balance, not sure I comprehend what you mean specifically by the term ~define~???

<<Run for the door, when you see bringtly coloured gi's (preferably without sleeves). And fancy stuff.

Well, there are practitioners of even Japanese ryuha which do not utilize black or white. They may not be satin red, or nuclear-cobalt blue, well ok, no never mind they all have sleeved arms...

Undignified, loud colors ie anything which draws attention deliberately... is that genuinely sufficent to label as clownish, and therefore "bad art"?

Perhaps they are just color blind.. or tired of being dour for the last three decades possibly <grin>???

What kind of ~technical~ "neon lights" (saying anything from clown, baffoon, fool, dangerous bozo, etc. to something more ~generous~... shall we say) would cause you to run quickly to the doors???

Playing devils advocate for a moment some might offer wearing the ~old costumes~ the hakama, the dogi, the obi whatever the particular attire might be... some would offer they are at one level superflous too

Don't think I would agree with that sentiment yet some would still contend that type of thing? Technical signs of "necessary running" are probably far easier. Regardless...

Thoughts?
J

#227390 - 02/03/06 12:49 PM Re: RUN for the door....... [Re: Ronin1966]
Ives Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: the Netherlands
Hello Ronin1966,

Here's is my personal view. Thanks for your reaction. I gave it a bit longer thought. I think we are on the same side here.

Note to all. Take it with a grain of salt.(Like always.)

Quote:

Not sure I understand your meaning here yet... how would twirling the bo (whatever its particular length) "define" my balance, not sure I comprehend what you mean specifically by the term ~define~???

Maybe I wasn't too clear. (Sorry English isn't my language.)
I ment that when twirling you can feel were your bo holds it's balance. It hasn't alwas be the centre. (Try with some tree branch and have a laugh.)

Quote:

Undignified, loud colors ie anything which draws attention deliberately... is that genuinely sufficent to label as clownish, and therefore "bad art"?

No that doesn't mean "bad art" at all.
Most of the time though it gives an insight in how traditional someone approaches the martial arts. (My personal experiences so far.) I like to do somewhat traditional.

Quote:

Perhaps they are just color blind.. or tired of being dour for the last three decades possibly ???

You could be right. But somehow it look kinda fake and flashy to me. But hey, let everyone decide for them selves, right?

Quote:

What kind of ~technical~ "neon lights" (saying anything from clown, baffoon, fool, dangerous bozo, etc. to something more ~generous~... shall we say) would cause you to run quickly to the doors???

Let me think...
Kiai at every oppertunity, the index-finger-tight-hold of sai.
And the shiny, sparkled, glitter bo...

#227391 - 02/03/06 06:59 PM Re: RUN for the door....... [Re: harlan]
Ronin1966 Offline
Professional Poster

Hello Harlan:

I doubt I'll have any trouble ~playing~, yet in my limited experience THEY frequently don't "play nice" in reverse (recalling & surveying the assorted bruises, smashes, gouges he's encountered & a-typically self-inflicted upon himself through practice)

J

#227392 - 02/07/06 12:29 PM Re: RUN for the door....... [Re: Borrek]
formless Offline

Quote:

Quote:

twirling nunchaku and bos?

I especially like it when the nunchaku twirlers grab one side a few millimeters from the string. lol why do you think there is a whole long stick there?

a neat trick I learned is to watch them twirl it for a half second and then shoot in, grabbing the string, and ripping the nunchaku out of their hands. when they grab so close to the string, the string stays kind of stationary as you swing them.

the closer your grip is to the string the more speed and control you have. the farther away from the string you go will make your hits a bit slower but alot stronger.

#227393 - 02/07/06 12:41 PM Re: RUN for the door....... [Re: formless]
harlan Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Amherst, MA
I disagree.

"the closer your grip is to the string the more speed and control you have. the farther away from the string you go will make your hits a bit slower but alot stronger."

#227394 - 02/08/06 09:33 AM Re: RUN for the door....... [Re: formless]
Ronin1966 Offline
Professional Poster

Hello Formless:

In the generic, I wonder how many arts maintain intact a nunchaku practice? In the generic, a-typically it seems obscenely popular with those who want to play with weapons rather than study a weapon art.... no offense intended!

I am not denying the valididy of the flail (ie nunchaku) as a weapon yet purely as a bias factor in the certain "youth" of most who undertake it... <shrug>

Relative to other weapons are there many bonefide nunchaku kata? Guess I'll have to find my Inoue, Taira and Draeger books respectively and see what they list/not...

Jeff

#227395 - 02/08/06 09:54 AM Re: RUN for the door....... [Re: Ronin1966]
harlan Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Amherst, MA
I look at nunchaku as an introduction to flexible (rope, chain, etc.) weapons...and becoming more familiar with the motion and body dynamics (i.e. kata is not really important).

#227396 - 02/08/06 10:08 AM Re: RUN for the door....... [Re: Ives]
Ronin1966 Offline
Professional Poster

Hello Ives:

<<Thanks for your reaction.

As always thank you for your interesting views!!!!

<<(Sorry English isn't my language.)

I would never have known... it is pretty good regardless.

You spoke of finding balance previously... along that line, how do you tell if whomever has done the 100% MANDATORY "safety check" of any, every weapon they will practice with whether their Tonfa, Bo, Sai, Nunchaku, Eku, Kama, sword, etc., etc. or the schools weapon?

What will show us that? COnsider if the pin holding the Japanese katana blade to the handle of that sword is not carefully checked there could be very serious consequences... if the bo is not checked for chipping, cracks and is used... you pick the weapon, what should they be carefully searching to see if the weapon being used will hurt themselves or others due to defect or damage? How does/can someone determine that from the sidelines?

And what of storage? Lent against a wall, in a corner given enough moisture/time will eventually warp the bo... being stored in a rack looks far better, less cluttered, yet also might bend the bo more depending on the humidity factor, wouldn't it???

How does one store weapons in such a manner as to indicate "correct" and serious nature of the practice vs. seeing XYZ in the method of storage of them which should push you to the door as fast as your feet will carry you?!?!

And yes, I too would be very leery of any weapon that was not full weight, spangled, or otherwise adorned regardless of the circus art popularity of doing so. Red tassels are about my "limit" of acceptable.... and I would accept that playfully grudgingly...

Thoughts
J

#227397 - 02/15/06 12:53 PM Re: RUN for the door....... [Re: paradoxbox]
Ronin1966 Offline
Professional Poster

Hello Paradoxbox:

So "somber" is the generic necessity... ok.

<<But many mainland Japanese styles feature the index finger pointing off the weapon (except during strikes/cuts, then it's retracted).

If my structure is damaged/broken purely becuase of vulnerability of those extended digits (in that position)... literally how can we hold the weapons???

J

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Cord, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Ryukyu Art
Artifacts from the Ryukyu Kingdom missing since WWII. Visit www.ShisaLion.Org to view pictures

Best Stun Guns
Self Defense Products-stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and more

Surveillance 4U
Complete surveillance systems for covert operations or secure installation security

Asylum Images
Book presents photo tour of the Trans-Allegany Lunatic Asylum. A must if you're going to take a ghost tour!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga